Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt and ac belt both came off shreded ac tensioner pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serpentine belt and ac belt both came off shreded ac tensioner pulley

So today driving home my power steering gave out. Then i heard what sounded lke sparks and some other odd noises. I barely get to my apartment was only about half a mile away so im pretty sure the engine is fine. I open the hood and the serpentine belt is gone and my ac belt is caught underneath hanging halfway off the pulley. At a closer look my bottom pulley which from what i read is my ac automatic tensioner pulley is shredded with only the teeth underneath the black cover is left. It also leaked a few ounces if that of coolant which also from what i have read was just it being forced out by the pressre. So my questions are what is the best serpentine belt for a asp underdrive pulley i hear alot of them squeak and autozone only has dayco and ac delco. Second i purchased the ac pulley and it will be here tomorrow how difficult and what socket will i need to replace that if its need replacement at all.(can i just leave the pulley there and it not harm anything) My a/c has not worked for about 2 weeks and im not sure how long the belt could have been off. So i was going to recharge it but maybe the belt has been bad for a while. Now i know that i need a 15mm socket for the serpentine tensioner. So main questions are

Can i easily install the ac pulley? If not can i leave it off?
What is the best belt for asp underdrive pulley that autozone would have in stock
What could have caused both belts to come off and my tensioner become shredded?

Any advice would really help, also i am living in an apartment i dont have any tools just moved in for school last week. I dont have any jack stands or a way to jack my car up besides using the one with my spare. And it being a firehawk id rather keep it on the ground.

Last edited by Drew-Bot; 05-25-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC belt =K040378
Acces Belt = K060760

I just bought new belts for my ASP pulley. Gates belts.. Got mine from amazon though for about $30 for both shipped
Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

weird...with mine my ac belt was shorter then the one you stated and my serpentine belt was longer. I needed a 76 and a 39'
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Launching!

You can leave the A/C tensioner pulley off. Obviously wont have any A/C but it isnt a problem. A lot of guys take the A/C belt off for racing applications to try to free up a little power and put it back on later for street use. I dont think that clutch pulley will net much power at all but some think so. It is the plus side to having separate accessory and A/C drives though.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt and ac belt both came off shreded ac tensioner pulley