Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TD worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD worth it?

Well I'm sure people have asked this somewhere and I have searched but Iv got nothing on my specific question. I LOVE the sound of Texas speed true dual rumbler (X pipe bullets then dumped right before the axle) and I think it'd be one if the first mods to get, but will it be too much "flow" for a bolt on car? Itl be cammed, who knows what else, eventually since I plan on keeping it. I don't mind lots of noise in cabin so that won't bother me. Plan is long tubes without cats also btw. Thanks ahead of time
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty much what I got. I love it! It's a good choice
Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Oh I know I will lol have you heard anything about it being too much though? Iv only heard of people *mostly running this exhaust. But I love the sound
Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It is nearly impossible to have "too much flow" on either side of the engine. The idea of "engines need to be choked some" (aka backpressure) is not helpful to performance. The only major downsides to duals are the volume and less ground clearance.

They sound better than a y pipe could dream of and will let the engine breathe great now and after it has more mods.

The only other concern you should have is that TSP recently had a run of bad x pipes which neck down too much. So be cautious buying used and if you order new make sure you let them know you want one of the original designs not the improperly tooled ones.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
It is nearly impossible to have "too much flow" on either side of the engine. The idea of "engines need to be choked some" (aka backpressure) is not helpful to performance. The only major downsides to duals are the volume and less ground clearance.

They sound better than a y pipe could dream of and will let the engine breathe great now and after it has more mods.

The only other concern you should have is that TSP recently had a run of bad x pipes which neck down too much. So be cautious buying used and if you order new make sure you let them know you want one of the original designs not the improperly tooled ones.
This came in so much help! Answered all my questions plus some. I have heard of the backpressure thing being a myth. Ground clearance doesnt bother me too much either I have a lowered truck and deal with it all the time lol and I LOVE obnoxious volume. I trust your knowledge as Iv seen you alot on good old SR&k I love to browse for the lol's. Il be sure to tell TSP though thats very useful
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing I did forget to mention is that if your area has emissions testing that could also be a concern.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't have emissions testing to worry about then True Duals are the way to go. At your power level true duals will help you and in the future help you also. If ground clearance is a concern consider 2.5 pipe instead of 3 inch. Im at 523rwhp and with 1 3/4 headers and 2.5 inch true duals all the back it isn't costing me any power at all. My tuner said my hold back is the LS6 intake.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Emissions won't be a problem il be in North Carolina on base but I have people to hook me up. Problem I'm wondering is if gate guard will say anything even tho I have my papers.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

True duals are the way to go. They flow great and sound great. And they will support any engine combination you plan for the future.

For what it's worth, I picked up 3 tenths switching from a y pipe setup to duals on my bolt on car.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, go for it. You will pick up in the midrange
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buford17
Emissions won't be a problem il be in North Carolina on base but I have people to hook me up. Problem I'm wondering is if gate guard will say anything even tho I have my papers.
I have LT's and a one-off 3in x-pipe with straight-though race mufflers dumped at the axle, and the gate guards here never say anything, unless they're car guys... Then they just smile.

Be aware, though... It sounds awesome, but it is FRICKING RETARD LOUD. For example, when I drive through the tunnel here, by the time I hit the exit, I have at least 100-150 feet in front and behind me completely devoid of cars, because it's so loud and everyone either speeds up or slows down to get away from me.

As far as the whole "too much flow" thing- NOPE. It's POSSIBLE to have too much header (you'd need a crazy extreme setup, though), but anything after the header isn't going to be "too much." (well, open headers might lose you a little, I've seen dyno tests where open headers lost power vs. 10 inches of pipe and turn downs after the collector)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

You may have seen a loss down low with open headers, but you will gain that back up top.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bww3588
You may have seen a loss down low with open headers, but you will gain that back up top.
When you get a chance, dyno open headers vs about a foot of pipe and a turndown sometime. The turndowns will net you a few more across the board. I had it explaned to me once, something about dumping right after the collector causing turbulent flow or some crap.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had flowmaster, Loudmouth, dynomouth, and magnaflow and now TSP duals dumped with bullets.. IT BLOWS ALL THOSE CATBACKS AWAY!!! The sound is pure muscle.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Launching!

First off thank you all for the info! Very useful. Including the 3 tenths gained thats a hell of a lot for just switching that.

Originally Posted by roninsonic
I have LT's and a one-off 3in x-pipe with straight-though race mufflers dumped at the axle, and the gate guards here never say anything, unless they're car guys... Then they just smile.

Be aware, though... It sounds awesome, but it is FRICKING RETARD LOUD. For example, when I drive through the tunnel here, by the time I hit the exit, I have at least 100-150 feet in front and behind me completely devoid of cars, because it's so loud and everyone either speeds up or slows down to get away from me.

As far as the whole "too much flow" thing- NOPE. It's POSSIBLE to have too much header (you'd need a crazy extreme setup, though), but anything after the header isn't going to be "too much." (well, open headers might lose you a little, I've seen dyno tests where open headers lost power vs. 10 inches of pipe and turn downs after the collector)
The whole base in general where im at mostly is made up of people who hate thier lives and want to see others suffer too though.... Is it possible or against any "base law" to have anything like that even if I have proof of vehicle inspection? PMO has fucked me too many times already. Either way im still gonna do it tho lol Ive also heard from some the whole backpressure thing is a myth. Just didnt know if it was popular vote or not though.

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I have had flowmaster, Loudmouth, dynomouth, and magnaflow and now TSP duals dumped with bullets.. IT BLOWS ALL THOSE CATBACKS AWAY!!! The sound is pure muscle.
Sounds like me on my truck long ago lol..... As you can see in sig I have the exhaust Im asking about on my truck already just with cats still. I didnt want it to sound too radical (its just my truck :p) but I love the sound. Idk how many times I switched exhaust on my truck

First time I heard the exhaust im asking about on a F body was when I was cruising with my good friend in his mustang (I know I know lol) and we saw a 4th gen coming opposite direction.... As he passes us he lets out a probly 4k rev and it scared the **** out of us lol after that I was set on getting it. Found out later hes in a car club we know of and got his car info
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

I should clear this. I went from a catted y and a shitty mac cat back to true duals without cats. However, I had drag radials on with the y pipe, gained 3 tenths switching to true duals and running street tires. But I would say I still picked up 3 tenths. I also had it re tuned with no cats and the duals.

Either way, duals will be an improvement over any y pipe setup in sound And performance...excluding a 4 inch y pipe setup which flows extremely well.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

I had true duals with only bolt ons...LOVED the sound, since i moved down to florida I had to re do my exhaust and now its a y pipe instead of x pipe but I love my true duals no matter the pipe. My neighbors dont seem to enjoy coming out every morning and turning their car alarms off tho lol
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buford17
First off thank you all for the info! Very useful. Including the 3 tenths gained thats a hell of a lot for just switching that.

The whole base in general where im at mostly is made up of people who hate thier lives and want to see others suffer too though.... Is it possible or against any "base law" to have anything like that even if I have proof of vehicle inspection? PMO has fucked me too many times already. Either way im still gonna do it tho lol Ive also heard from some the whole backpressure thing is a myth. Just didnt know if it was popular vote or not though.

Sounds like me on my truck long ago lol..... As you can see in sig I have the exhaust Im asking about on my truck already just with cats still. I didnt want it to sound too radical (its just my truck :p) but I love the sound. Idk how many times I switched exhaust on my truck

First time I heard the exhaust im asking about on a F body was when I was cruising with my good friend in his mustang (I know I know lol) and we saw a 4th gen coming opposite direction.... As he passes us he lets out a probly 4k rev and it scared the **** out of us lol after that I was set on getting it. Found out later hes in a car club we know of and got his car info
Bases usually go off of the state law where they're located... That said, if they issue you a fineable citation, you go to federal court and fight it just like you would out in town... Get a fake receipt showing you had it replaced, it gets dismissed... Move on with your day.

What was said about car alarms is no exaggeration... If I go to the mall, I'll set of EVERY car alarm within 100 feet of my car. You'll get a LOT of dirty looks. (You'll also get flirted with every time you stop for gas, and every jackass at a stoplight will ask you to melt the tires)
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my car it was night and day for my ms4 car, my car gained more all threw the rpm band, i never had it on a dyno since the switch over my tsp ory but it was a sotp feel for sure, you might not see much benefit from a bolt on car but down the road with more mods it could,not to mention tsp duals with st sound better than anu catback i have ever had
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bww3588
I should clear this. I went from a catted y and a shitty mac cat back to true duals without cats. However, I had drag radials on with the y pipe, gained 3 tenths switching to true duals and running street tires. But I would say I still picked up 3 tenths. I also had it re tuned with no cats and the duals.

Either way, duals will be an improvement over any y pipe setup in sound And performance...excluding a 4 inch y pipe setup which flows extremely well.
That is still impressive didnt think itd be that much of a difference

Originally Posted by roninsonic
Bases usually go off of the state law where they're located... That said, if they issue you a fineable citation, you go to federal court and fight it just like you would out in town... Get a fake receipt showing you had it replaced, it gets dismissed... Move on with your day.

What was said about car alarms is no exaggeration... If I go to the mall, I'll set of EVERY car alarm within 100 feet of my car. You'll get a LOT of dirty looks. (You'll also get flirted with every time you stop for gas, and every jackass at a stoplight will ask you to melt the tires)
NC is a very lenient state when it comes to emissions basic car laws etc... And iv looked up laws considersing blacked out tails/HID's and I got a ticket on base for having blacked out tails and HID's. I asked why and they said they follow base rules not state rules. But I love the hater/dirty looks

Quick Reply: TD worth it?