New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question I'm sure-- Installing just Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question I'm sure-- Installing just Headers?

Hey guys,

Well, I am so undecided on which route I will be taking after headers (traditional cat-back with y or TD).

My question is....could I just buy myself a set of TSP headers (probably the 1 3/4ths, as I am not looking to do any "major" engine mods), and install them alone? No aftermarket y or catback-- just the headers?

I would buy a Frost tune to put after installation-- my question is: Is this possible in terms of taking the stock manifolds off...replacing only the manifolds-- bolting back on car, or do I have to buy a new y-pipe?

Sorry for the newbie post, I'd rather gain some power through the headers and worry about the rest of the exhaust later (if that's even feasible)

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think there are any headers that connect to a stock y pipe. Im sure you could make it work but in the end you might as well go with a whole new exhaust from front to back. I'm sure the catalysts need to be replaced (or you just might go with the ORY) and the stock muffler can be improved on (unless you have the SLP dual/dual muffler). But I would find a good 3" single to dual 2.5" system and then get the tune, not much need for much more. Just a heads up, if by some godly force you think keeping the stock Y is your best you are most likely going to break a few bolts taking the old hardware off and if it gets stuck in one of the mounts your going to have to buy a new y pipe anyways.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

It won't work. You'll have to get an aftermarket Y pipe - everything after that will slide together no problem. If I were you I would just get the Frost tune while your doing headers so you can get it back after your done with the install - ready to go.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Haha, thanks guys. That's what I figured.

Just wanted to see if I could get away with it the cheaper way LOL. Now the big decision, y-pipe to catback or TD's....hmm...lots of reading to do LOL
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go td no rasp and sound better like a true muscle car. You could get tsp true duals kooks true duals or have a shop make true duals
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBK longtubes with Y pipe fit amazing, no leaks, and 350 shipped for headers and y pipe =] and SHINYYY
Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bbk are hit and mis on fitment. Also there y pipe merge is what gives the exhaust bad rasp flowmaster has good merges. With anything on a car you get what you pay for
Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the y pipe has a nack for banging up under the drivers side. you will have to heat it up probably and smack it a few times, or buy some bumpstops from thunder racing. heat shields for torches work pretty well too