New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay Turbo system on Stock WS6?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Turbo system on Stock WS6?

Guys, I was about to order a set of long tubes when i realized that I might wanna just go the turbo route with my 2002 M6 WS6. Now I don't have any mechanical skills, but I have a good mechanic. I found a front-mounted ebay header system from turbo technology inc (says made in the USA, so i like that). Do you think my stock LS1 with 80k on it could handle this system with a mild amount of boost on it?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

8 to 10 psi all day long. i would just replace the turbo in there kit with a good one
Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Actually the kit doesn't come with a turbo. which one would you recommend? I know nothing about the different brands of turbos. The kit itself is $2995. is that a fair price? would i need to upgrade the clutch and/or anything else? Thanks in advance.

p.s., is it legal on this site to post the link to what i'm talking about?

No links to non-sponsor sites. Thanks

Last edited by 777; 06-03-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is a good starting point to figure out what you're going to need. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html There's tons of good info in the forced induction forum that you should check out before you make a decision. Turbo is not cheap if you want to do it right, especially if you have to pay labor on top of the cost of parts. I have over 10 grand in parts for my build and that's not including what I'm gonna have to spend to upgrade the trans/rear to handle the power. It's like the old saying goes: "fast, cheap, reliable...pick two."
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Mr Bat you ruined my night. How do the people who put forged twin turbo lsxs in their cars afford food and shelter?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

it takes time to get parts. just start stacking them up on the shelf until you got it all. but i have probley 5k just in my turbo kit. not including fuel ect. and thats with me building my hot pipes and installing everything. but a cheaper kit with good reliability is about

injectors, $300
fuel presure regulator( boost referance) $125
inline pump wablo usually $125
all turbo pipes, hot and cold, $900 with cheap turbo
intercooler $150
bov $100 knock of tial 50mm
waistegate $225
tune. ??????
2 bar map
upgraded turbo later $800to $1200

i could probley piece it together over a year looking for deals for about $2000
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I appreciate the input guys! The thing with me is I'm afraid to take it to the drag strip cause I dont wanna wreck the thing and I don't wanna get on it on the street cause I admit I'm scared of the damn popos. I'm not talking about a turbo monster here I just would like to get that turbo sound and being able to tell people "yeah, it's got a turbocharger" lol.
After seeing all this I guess I would be better suited just getting some LTs and maybe a cam swap and I would be satisfied. i guess I don't have the cash for this considering I'm trying to save up for a house. But thanks for the info!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it little by little...I was lucky enough that my buddy gave me two t76 turbos. Now I just gotta get plumbing and supporting mods.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Teching In

You would be surprised at what a cam can do.

Forced induction is not for the feint of heart. However if you go that route in the future, take this time to do bolt ons, then get HP tuners and learn how to tune.

Without a good tune, any boost can cost you an engine.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If money is even remotely an issue do not go forced induction. You can get plenty of power out of a non-turbo car. Plus if you're going for the "yeah, it's got a turbo" mentality then you can get a cam which is much more obvious than a turbo.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 777
If money is even remotely an issue do not go forced induction. You can get plenty of power out of a non-turbo car. Plus if you're going for the "yeah, it's got a turbo" mentality then you can get a cam which is much more obvious than a turbo.
I don't agree with the first part of your post, but otherwise you're spot on. I'm sure money is an issue for most everyone here in terms of throwing down $5k+ for a turbo kit. But with being patient and selective, building a turbo kit is very practical and still allows for a trip to the dollar menu every now and then. Because honestly, how many of us would still be dabbling in LS1's if money were not an issue?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS WON A4
I don't agree with the first part of your post, but otherwise you're spot on. I'm sure money is an issue for most everyone here in terms of throwing down $5k+ for a turbo kit. But with being patient and selective, building a turbo kit is very practical and still allows for a trip to the dollar menu every now and then. Because honestly, how many of us would still be dabbling in LS1's if money were not an issue?
My response was tailored to the OP. He wants mild boost and safety/reliability. So that means about 450rwhp max. You will almost always be able to achieve that number with heads/cam for far less than a turbo/supercharger. So in this instance if money is an issue stick with heads cam. Easier, cheaper, more reliable (at that power level)

Basically if you want over 500rwhp be prepared to spend a lot of money. That's the tipping point for a lot of pricey additions to keep things together. ie. forged internals, fuel system, transmission, clutch, etc...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500-550 RWHP N/A is considered the limit of a Stock LS1/LS6

Forced induction does shorten the life and depending how far its pushed and tuning ability, maybe like said in the 500 range. The question is for how long and FI will shorten that life.

Ran into that issue looking at Prochargers and its great to spend the money. Well I should do a D1 for the "future" well if im doing that, then Im over kill for the block but then add a forged bottom end then the cost is even more. I have built forged engines and have already done a 12 bolt and other expensive mods so the question is when is enough, enough.

I think when it comes to FI many kits are built specific to the power adders and MANY car guys buy a kit rated for a certain head unit and when they want to "upgrade" they find out all the hot/cold parts, or intercooler or wastegates are insufficent. So your buying another "KIT".

OP Spend some time in the FI section and really get a good idea of what you need. You can DIY yourself or decide to go on the cheap but on average you already spend the $$ for the fabrication equipment so really the cost is there no matter where you go.

Unless someone who makes turbo kits owes you over 5k and will make you one for essentially free, there is a real cost one way or the other.

Cam only with a basic Nitrous kit will also get you there, consistanly and that takes into consideration the safety equipment and dedicated 1 gal cell full of c16 and you can make 380-400 on cam and just pill for 100-125 safe shot when you "need it" Just a thought.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Launching!

No nitrous for me thanks... That's cheating I'm about to just order some long tubes instead. Probably go American Racing

AND, if money were no option, I'd still think the WS6 is one of the sexiest cars around..
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers a good supporting any setup that is not Turbochargers. Nitrous is not cheating.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like U should educate yourself a little more on LS1's. Like said if money is a factor and your not a mechanic the last thing I would do it run fi, especially a turbo or sc. Wait til u can afford it and do it right w/ a forged bottom end and the right supporting mods.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Sounds like U should educate yourself a little more on LS1's. Like said if money is a factor and your not a mechanic the last thing I would do it run fi, especially a turbo or sc. Wait til u can afford it and do it right w/ a forged bottom end and the right supporting mods.
I should educate myself? That's what I was trying to do, thanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by homerz28
I should educate myself? That's what I was trying to do, thanks.

OP where in Alabama do you live in North Alabama by chance?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
OP where in Alabama do you live in North Alabama by chance?
Close to Huntsville by chance lol why?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
If money is even remotely an issue do not go forced induction.
X2

See Sig. I have spent over 12k on my setup, I've stopped counting. I've gone to the Dyno 3 different times and one part throttle street tune... More money. The car still isn't "finished", I have a smaller pulley for the blower, meth kit, and a front mount intercooler just waiting to go on the car, then guess what back to the tuner. Boost is like crack , 500+ hp took about a week before I wanted to push it to 600+.

Not trying to push you away from FI or say it cant be done a lot cheaper, but the price can get out of control quick if your not careful. If your set on going FI save up your $$$ for a while and do a lot of home work while your saving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ebay Turbo system on Stock WS6?