New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad beginning.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad beginning.....

Former LT1 owner and just purchased 1999 T/A for $5200. Matter of fact I got it from a member of this site. Nonetheless, long story short, test drove it (briefly) as all test drives are, ran BADASS. After 20 miles down the road and high RPMs NO acceleration. Called the previous owner and he suggested I check the throttle position sensor. Ok. I changed it out andcit was throwing that code but didn't solve the problem. Needless to say I had to drive it 200+ miles from ATL to B'ham tranny slipping and all. Ran it around 2500-3500 RPMs @ 50mph all the way home. I'm not the most tech savvy but (finally) my question is does this description sound accurate to my problem. And would anybody suggest a rebuild or brand New tranny.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Teching In

If the tranny is slipping then most likely you will need a rebuild. And you just got it so you dont have the history and what the car has been sujected to. Best to do it right the 1st time. When you said high rpm's and no acceleration was the tranny slipping or was it just falling off in terms of engine power?

Last edited by T/AWs6spd; 06-10-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Liars **** me off. This is what I feel like the seller did. You drove it for a test drive, it went well and the dude didn't tell you it had a problem.

He knew damn well what was up when he sold it to you. You should get your money back from the guy.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sepsis
Liars **** me off. This is what I feel like the seller did. You drove it for a test drive, it went well and the dude didn't tell you it had a problem.

He knew damn well what was up when he sold it to you. You should get your money back from the guy.
Ya I agree. This guy is an a$$hole if her sold you a car with a bad tranny and didnt tell you. WHo is he??? Let everyone know so we stay away from this zero.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Yeah i would agree with the 2 previous posts, i can almost guarentee that guy knew the trans was messed up. People like that is what ruins it for everyone else.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

If getting your money back is an option i would DEFINITELY do so. Their could be other problems that may arise soon that could have been their for a while and you havent seen yet. Oh and let everybody know who this person is.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that ******* prob stuck some lucas trans fix in it, and let you have it. dont give up though. I have a great 4l60e right here in bham I can let you have for a great price. already has a shift kit in it, and only 41k mile on the whole thing. sure, youd be swapping to auto, but after all, you wanna be consistently fast at the track right. roll tide.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sad story... My 01 4l60e didn't hold up for me even after being built. Broke 4x on me... So I went out bought me a M6... Much more fun to drive. Absolutely love it... Back to the OP... what is the members name??? I'm sure everyone would like to know.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 AM

The tranny was running at high RPMs and no power. Totally failing due to loss of engine power. If I stomped it, it'd churp and get out good, but wouldn't level out. I'd get to second (barely) and absolutely no gusto. Again, when I test drove it it ran badass. Oh, and one of the member's fish-grease 305 and His cousin is "jay" or jessie stroud is his real name, is the actual owner of the car. Just did a car fax and no accidents on car reported but found out I am the fourth owner. It's been repossessed, sold again at an auction, bought by "jay" and now I am the owner. As well Georgia doesn't have a lemon law on used cars. BTW he won't answer the damn phone either.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

That name sounds familiar to me, idk why but it rings a bell.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any news?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 AM
11 Second Club

What's done to the car? 4L60's are crap if you're throwing power into them unless it's built right. I blew mine twice. The first time I got minor upgrades and rebuilt it. Blew that out after 1k miles didn't want to throw money on another one that would blow up again so I went with an FLT Stg VI and it's been flawless since.

If the car is stock or near it, just swap out a good used one. If it's been modded or you're planning on putting down power, get a built transmission a reputable shop. I spent the money on the FLT transmission because I heard so many good things about them and I haven't been disappointed. You'll spend a bit to get one, but it's worth it in the long run when you don't have to worry about the car being broke and having the tranny fixed all the time.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
What's done to the car? 4L60's are crap if you're throwing power into them unless it's built right. I blew mine twice. The first time I got minor upgrades and rebuilt it. Blew that out after 1k miles didn't want to throw money on another one that would blow up again so I went with an FLT Stg VI and it's been flawless since.

If the car is stock or near it, just swap out a good used one. If it's been modded or you're planning on putting down power, get a built transmission a reputable shop. I spent the money on the FLT transmission because I heard so many good things about them and I haven't been disappointed. You'll spend a bit to get one, but it's worth it in the long run when you don't have to worry about the car being broke and having the tranny fixed all the time.
^^^ I agree... I blew up my 4160e 4 times in my 01!!!! Finally bought a M6 last year... I wanted one just because I drove a buddies TA and was HOOKED! still got the 01 but I'm hookn uo the 00M6 for mods now... Keep the 01 original...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

You bought a USED car, no warrentee implyed or guarrenteed. Regardless if the owner knew the trans was or was not on it's last legs.

My brother bought a 1992 LX Notch that as immaculate but had a salvaged title (due to theft of stereo equipment) the owner (a cop mind you), never completed the Connecticut state reinspection to get a "rebuilt" title and was more of a case of "should have gotten his money back" and was **** out of luck.

Unless you have something in writting specifically guarrenteing condition or milage you are SOL.

Seeing how it was priced, at least leave you budget for a rebuild and yes these transmissions are junk so price a good company that can rebuild.

-------

Just to throw in a personal exp. Back in 2001-2002 I bought my first Fbody a 1994 Z28. The owner was a co worker, had a LT4 hot cam, headers, cut out, and flow master.

Paid lik 4,000 for it, which at the time was 3-4 grand less then what I saw out there, a buddy vouched for the car. I took it for a test drive, like it. Was handed a rebuilt title and should have walked away (but did not), did not car fax it (idiot), the car had a cooling issue, spent 1k between parts and labor to fix it all, and with in 6 months blew the motor and trans.

Talk about a mother f*ck of a situation which if I had known more would have saved me tons of $$$ but at the same time I learned the majority of what I know on cars so I take it for what it is. A learning exp and the $$$ I have saved over the past decade doing the work myself more than made up for it.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 06-18-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Been there before.. few years ago i saw a 3000GT in FL and went crazy for one, long story short I found one for 5000, Flew from SC to chicago to pick it up, test drove it at the airport came back and paid the money.

As the owner and his "cousin" drove a away in a 300M i started my long journey to College station Tx. As i was driving down the highway behind them, I accelerated hard and the car just redlined... So I called the owner and he didn't answer.. lucky for me even missing last gear the car caught up to the 300M where i Flagged him down to a CVS.

He gets out and opens the hood on the car and pokes around at which point his cousin says "maybe its the gps screwing with the system" wtf right.. After parking at the CVS Now reverse was also gone... So i was in chicago from texas and Fucked.. I told the guy the only thing i could..

There are two endings to this situation.. I can give you 500.00 for your POS car and you can take me to the airport and call you a tow truck.. OR I can beat both your asses for having me come here, take my 5000 and call a cab.. Its your choice.. LOL he called his mom she said take me to the airport. So I got 4500.00 then bought a plane ticket to austin Tx same day.. And had to call a friend to drive to austin to pick me up.

All and all it could have been a hell of a lot worse but i learned a bout buying used.. I just bought a 99 trans am, for 4700 completely stock 104,000 with a complete history from day 1. (well it was missing some speakers) took it to GM and had then do a Used car inspection for 100.00 im now at 114,000 and i've had to replace rear springs and I need to do a tranny mount now, not to bad for wear items

What im getting at is its a sucky lesson to learn but come out of it learning something. the way prices on these cars are of late its still a deal if you have to rebuild. Next time though run it to a mechanic and pay the 100.00 vehicle inspection to be sure. puzzles me how someone can knowingly leave someone pretty much stranded from home and not care about it..

on the other side you can think about that 6 speed conversion

***************************Almost forgot*********************************

I used the buy section on here and ordered a tailight, for my TA, Paypal'd the money and the tail light was send to me ups. I open the box and the light is broken, there are no dents on the box and its packed well, its broken right at the curve. So i contact the seller and UPS.. UPS says they will investigate the claim. UPS picks up the box inspects it and contacts the seller that they are sending it back to him. So I contact the seller and say they say its non damage on they part they sending it back. basically the guy got my money and the light back. He seemed like a stand up guy.. he was in contact telling me he was working it out with UPS and to be patient. Little did i know he was just waiting out the time to dispute a paypal payment.

So it was a 100.00 screwing for me and got nothing... sometimes you have better luck on ebay lol. (still need a driverside tail light btw :p)

Last edited by gencom; 06-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open a Paypal claim, you'll need to get a hold of ups to see if they can provide you with a tracking number for when they sent the light back to him. Paypal will ask for one before they rule to give you your money back.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Open a Paypal claim, you'll need to get a hold of ups to see if they can provide you with a tracking number for when they sent the light back to him. Paypal will ask for one before they rule to give you your money back.
**Not trying to thread jack**

I tried that, thats what i meant he was waiting the time out, Paypal said it had been to long. During the time i thought he was working it out with ups..he was just letting the time go by till he was outside the dispute time frame
Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

So who is the jerk on here that sold you the broken tail light? I'd like to know his name so more people doen't get screwed.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave bad feedback on the Itrader and perhaps start a thread in the negative member feedback section so everyone will see it.

We like to try and look out for each other on here. Next time, give the person the benefit of the doubt but never let them try and bullshit around until the escalation period is over on Paypal because that is your only guarantee to get your money back.

Sorry to hear about the car and the a-hole that shipped you a broken tail light.

Quick Reply: Bad beginning.....