Go Back   LS1TECH > WELCOME TO LS1TECH > New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech
Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by
Improved Racing

SFC's and Torque Converter

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
TECH Fanatic
 
LS-ONE_DAY's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,062
Default SFC's and Torque Converter

Wasn't sure if this would be more suited to the transmission section or the suspension section so I figured it would be best to ask here, but what is the typical/recommended order for doing SFC's and Torque Converters? I plan on having a converter in the 3400-3600 stall range by the end of summer but one of my buddies said to get sub-frame connectors before that. Just want ya'lls opinions on that.
__________________

(07/01/11 - 08/12/2014): SOLD
1999 Firebird Formula A4: Stalled w/ Bolt Ons - 326rwhp 322rwtq tuned by Andrew at Complete Street
| FTI Stall | ARH LT's | ARH ORY | Borla Catback | SLP Lid | BMR/UMI Suspension | Hayden 679 |
LS-ONE_DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Launching!
 
02CamZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 27
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 276
Default

I'd get a yank
02CamZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Internet Mechanic
 
BlackScreaminMachine's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 17
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wallingford CT
Posts: 9,836
Default

SFC's are something for most people should have came on the car from the factory. They are very useful and needed. Get them done sooner, rather than later. Weld in Preferable. I use boxed BMR (Hammertone black).

As for TQ converter as a guy that races, you select your converter as one the last items to optimize the over all package. (Weight, Power, Suspension, Tire). YOu want one that would like a sizeable cam later on. Nothing is worse than understalling a car. But I am a guy who will do the TQ converter last due it matching to the set up. IF you really want one now...

It should be a converter of good quality and High 3000's maybe low 4000's Now this is all in anticpation of the 4LJUNKIE does not eat it self and contaminate the converter. Sometimes you can save them, sometimes not. All depends on the situation and you need to decide if you want to invest the $$$ on something that WILL eat itself at some point.
__________________
2002 NBM Trans Am SOLD!

http://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-cl...l#post17273103
BlackScreaminMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic
 
LS-ONE_DAY's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02CamZ28 View Post
I'd get a yank
^ That was absolutely no help and not related to the topic of the thread whatsoever. You fail sir.

But to answer you, I considered Yank, but I want a better range of choices so I'm going with FTI or Circle-D.

Now, let's get back on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine View Post
SFC's are something for most people should have came on the car from the factory. They are very useful and needed. Get them done sooner, rather than later. Weld in Preferable. I use boxed BMR (Hammertone black).

As for TQ converter as a guy that races, you select your converter as one the last items to optimize the over all package. (Weight, Power, Suspension, Tire). YOu want one that would like a sizeable cam later on. Nothing is worse than understalling a car. But I am a guy who will do the TQ converter last due it matching to the set up. IF you really want one now...

It should be a converter of good quality and High 3000's maybe low 4000's Now this is all in anticpation of the 4LJUNKIE does not eat it self and contaminate the converter. Sometimes you can save them, sometimes not. All depends on the situation and you need to decide if you want to invest the $$$ on something that WILL eat itself at some point.
My car has 2.73 gears and I can't justify spending money on a gear change when I plan on getting a beefier rear unit eventually with better gears then so I had planned on doing the converter first, camming the car next year, something like a TSP 228R, Torquer v2 or custom grind. I want to add the converter to give it a better kick in the pants and help shift extension now while I wait on the rear end. It will be a street/strip car with much more emphasis on the street part. I won't need anything over a 3600 stall.

For the SFC's I was planning on UMI 2 point boxed weld-in red ones to match the car
__________________

(07/01/11 - 08/12/2014): SOLD
1999 Firebird Formula A4: Stalled w/ Bolt Ons - 326rwhp 322rwtq tuned by Andrew at Complete Street
| FTI Stall | ARH LT's | ARH ORY | Borla Catback | SLP Lid | BMR/UMI Suspension | Hayden 679 |
LS-ONE_DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Staging Lane
 
robcas47's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ft. Bragg area
Posts: 50
Default

If you plan on launching your car pretty hard before/after the tq converter then I'de go with your buddies advice. If you manage to take it easy then you could probably wait on the SFC's. But I wouldn't wait long, this is a must for our cars. Usually one of the first recommended mods is SFC's, they should have just put these on the cars to begin with. Read up in the stickies about SFC's, those combined with the LCA's you already have will eliminate a lot of twist on launch, all you'll need then is a good tq arm and PHB and you'll be ready to destroy that 10 bolt.
__________________

01 TA, ASA Cam/ TCI SSF3500/ Hooker LT's,ORY,& CB/ E-Cutout/ Lid, Modified SSRA/ Built A4/ SFC's/ UMI TQ arm w/relo mount/ solid LCA's/ Free mods/ Tuned by James from SpeedShiftPerformance/ Need More Suspension Mods!!!
robcas47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
TECH Fanatic
 
LS-ONE_DAY's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
Read up in the stickies about SFC's, those combined with the LCA's you already have will eliminate a lot of twist on launch, all you'll need then is a good tq arm and PHB and you'll be ready to destroy that 10 bolt.
Hopefully destroying the 10 bolt doesn't ever happen!

I am installing a UMI PHB next week. I'll get a TQ Arm whenever I get the new rear end lol. I'm on street tires too so hopefully the 10 bolt lasts a solid while, at least 2-3 more years!

I may take the car to the track once or twice a year, I may borrow a buddies DR's for those times. From what I've read I'd either flash the converter from idle or stall it up to 1200-1400 and launch and hopefully the 4L60E will be more forgiving on that rear end.
__________________

(07/01/11 - 08/12/2014): SOLD
1999 Firebird Formula A4: Stalled w/ Bolt Ons - 326rwhp 322rwtq tuned by Andrew at Complete Street
| FTI Stall | ARH LT's | ARH ORY | Borla Catback | SLP Lid | BMR/UMI Suspension | Hayden 679 |
LS-ONE_DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
TECH Regular
 
redlineracing's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northwest, Indiana
Posts: 488
Default

I have the UMI weld in boxed 2 points, very nice piece. You'll love them.
__________________
TSP LT's / TSP catted Y/ LM1 / SLP Lid/ LS6 / Shraner TB / Koni 4/4 / Strano Springs / Strano hollow sways / UMI LCA's, UMI SFC's / Tuned by FLP / 327 whp 344 wtq
redlineracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
TECH Fanatic
 
NC98Z's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,311
Default

I agree with your buddy on doing the SFC before you stall the car. There is definately alot of body twist going on that shows up with the cracked dash pads and hoods not lineing up like they use too. Good luck with your 10 bolt setup.
__________________
TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, MS4,Fast 90/90, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s,Tuned by RPM/Garner NC.
NC98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
 
BAMALS1's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 16
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rocket City
Posts: 733
Default

SFC should def be first...brace it before you race it!
BAMALS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Staging Lane
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 80
Wink

Sfc's should go in before any mods should be done period. Listen to these guys, I git em and would never ever build power in an F body without them. These cars really do twist quite easily and without much effort. That's one of the reasons the car was discontinued. To much power for the design of the vehicle. Sorry if I went off topic.
mezzyshreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
TECH Senior Member
 
99Bluz28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 35
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: C. V., Kalifornia
Posts: 9,641
Default

Get some weld in 2pt SFC, they'll reduce body flex, won't cause any clearance issues, and it'll give more flexibility on where you jack the car up.
__________________
99 NBM Camaro Z28, M6...... Always a work in progress.
99Bluz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 890
Default

Definitely go for some subframe connectors first, and follow that up with a nice torque converter. These cars develop enough squeaks and rattles without any help from performance parts so whatever you can do to make things a bit more solid helps a lot.
__________________
Texas Speed & Performance
www.texas-speed.com
512-863-0900
Sales1@Texas-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Teching In
 
thatoneguybriz's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 44
Default

+1 for subframe connectors. I got UmI bolt in 2 points and had them welded later. Defiantly a must have for all f-body's
thatoneguybriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
TECH Fanatic
 
LS-ONE_DAY's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,062
Default

Sounds good. Just need to find someone to weld them up with the suspension loaded. Easier said than done around here
__________________

(07/01/11 - 08/12/2014): SOLD
1999 Firebird Formula A4: Stalled w/ Bolt Ons - 326rwhp 322rwtq tuned by Andrew at Complete Street
| FTI Stall | ARH LT's | ARH ORY | Borla Catback | SLP Lid | BMR/UMI Suspension | Hayden 679 |
LS-ONE_DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
12 Second Club
 
Firebirdmuscle's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vicksburg, MS
Posts: 538
Default

Sfc are a must for the first couple of mods done to these cars.
__________________
2002 Trans Am - WS6:
Firebirdmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
TECH Regular
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Pineville, La
Posts: 487
Default

As some one who added 2 point subframe connectors to his car (current `02 M6 SS): they are useless and do absolutely nothing beside add 40lbs or what ever to the car. All the flex, squeeks and rattles that were there previously are still present. Added them at ~50K miles. If I'd paid more than $70 for them I'd be pissed. I don't have experience with 3 and 4 point units though, although I have read mixed reviews on them too.

The converter on the other hand was the absolute best mod for my previous car (`99 A4 SS). Don't forget the supporting mods though: trans cooler and either a shift kit or reprogramming the shift points and pressures. They really made the car wake up.
__________________
`02 Camaro SS #? M6 SOLD
Sunset Orange Met., SLP 345hp pkg.

`13 Corvette Grand Sport
Black/black w/ red calipers and chrome wheels, 6 speed manual.
Kurt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
TECH Fanatic
 
LS-ONE_DAY's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 1,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
As some one who added 2 point subframe connectors to his car (current `02 M6 SS): they are useless and do absolutely nothing beside add 40lbs or what ever to the car. All the flex, squeeks and rattles that were there previously are still present. Added them at ~50K miles. If I'd paid more than $70 for them I'd be pissed. I don't have experience with 3 and 4 point units though, although I have read mixed reviews on them too.

The converter on the other hand was the absolute best mod for my previous car (`99 A4 SS). Don't forget the supporting mods though: trans cooler and either a shift kit or reprogramming the shift points and pressures. They really made the car wake up.
You're just the 2nd person to say anything bad about SFCs that I've ran into. The first was a buddy that installed them on his SS after 80k miles and he said after the install his T-Tops leaked. I assume thats because any damage to the chassis as far as twist already happened. Perhaps thats what happened in your case as well?

My car has 25k miles and I don't believe it has ever been to the track or launched hard (stock converter, 2.73 gears) so it should be pretty straight. Hopefully wouldn't have to worry about any problems installing them
__________________

(07/01/11 - 08/12/2014): SOLD
1999 Firebird Formula A4: Stalled w/ Bolt Ons - 326rwhp 322rwtq tuned by Andrew at Complete Street
| FTI Stall | ARH LT's | ARH ORY | Borla Catback | SLP Lid | BMR/UMI Suspension | Hayden 679 |
LS-ONE_DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Internet Mechanic
 
BlackScreaminMachine's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 17
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wallingford CT
Posts: 9,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
As some one who added 2 point subframe connectors to his car (current `02 M6 SS): they are useless and do absolutely nothing beside add 40lbs or what ever to the car. All the flex, squeeks and rattles that were there previously are still present. Added them at ~50K miles. If I'd paid more than $70 for them I'd be pissed. I don't have experience with 3 and 4 point units though, although I have read mixed reviews on them too.

The converter on the other hand was the absolute best mod for my previous car (`99 A4 SS). Don't forget the supporting mods though: trans cooler and either a shift kit or reprogramming the shift points and pressures. They really made the car wake up.
Disagree 100% on SFC's

I've had 3 different 4th gens and one of the three was a LT1 car and with even over 100k miles you can tell the difference. Rattles and squeeks may still occur due to you having loose panels or things that have come loose.

There is a method to having them welded in and if that is not followed, it could effect how they work should be plenty out in google land if you want to search for it.

Converters will improve performance no doubt but spend 1k on a converter and even if you do your own labor. Its going to suck if you blow that trans and ruin the converter, happend to quiet a few people out there.

It's up to the owner and he has to like it in the end.

----

Just to add some personal exp. This car I own has 47k on the clock, I added BMR Boxed weld in SFC and UMI Drag bar at the same time (the drag bar is solid but does have some give, good street/strip unit.

I removed before that the front sway. Nothing horrible but noticeable in turns (sloppy as expected) add these two pieces and the car handles on a rail again and very sharp turns. Stiff as hell and feels like it has a front sway. Like said most of it should be due to the stiff rear bar but I had cars that had the front removed and the sfc's and you can absolutely tell.

Any time you solidify a flexible point it runs stiffer. Rod ended suspension, sold TQ arm mounting off the cross member just a few examples. Weld in 6 or 10 point cages/bars
__________________
2002 NBM Trans Am SOLD!

http://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-cl...l#post17273103

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 06-13-2012 at 09:16 AM..
BlackScreaminMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
TECH Resident
 
ragtopz28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 31
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC98Z View Post
I agree with your buddy on doing the SFC before you stall the car. There is definately alot of body twist going on that shows up with the cracked dash pads and hoods not lineing up like they use too. Good luck with your 10 bolt setup.
This ^^...I did boltons before SFC and cracked the windshield

Weld-in SFC first!!
__________________
2002 Z28 SOM A4 17K miles SBE, full weight, full bolt-ons, BTR cam, spray, stall, FLT Level VI, FASTERPROMS SD tune (10.52 @ 129.2 mph) w/more to come
2011 Silverado CC Z-71 DD

2002 Z28 A4 Vert. 28K miles, Triple Black (SOLD)
1976 T/A w/550hp n/a 355ci 1/8 mi bracket car (SOLD)
1968 GMC w/blown and chromed 468ci (SOLD)
ragtopz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
TECH Fanatic
 
1lejohn's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Pasadena Texas
Posts: 1,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine View Post
Disagree 100% on SFC's

I've had 3 different 4th gens and one of the three was a LT1 car and with even over 100k miles you can tell the difference. Rattles and squeeks may still occur due to you having loose panels or things that have come loose.

There is a method to having them welded in and if that is not followed, it could effect how they work should be plenty out in google land if you want to search for it.

Converters will improve performance no doubt but spend 1k on a converter and even if you do your own labor. Its going to suck if you blow that trans and ruin the converter, happend to quiet a few people out there.

It's up to the owner and he has to like it in the end.

----

Just to add some personal exp. This car I own has 47k on the clock, I added BMR Boxed weld in SFC and UMI Drag bar at the same time (the drag bar is solid but does have some give, good street/strip unit.

I removed before that the front sway. Nothing horrible but noticeable in turns (sloppy as expected) add these two pieces and the car handles on a rail again and very sharp turns. Stiff as hell and feels like it has a front sway. Like said most of it should be due to the stiff rear bar but I had cars that had the front removed and the sfc's and you can absolutely tell.

Any time you solidify a flexible point it runs stiffer. Rod ended suspension, sold TQ arm mounting off the cross member just a few examples. Weld in 6 or 10 point cages/bars
Well stated above. Think of the unibody as a thin sheet of plywood. It is strong but will flex and bow. Add 2x4's as a frame and it gets stronger and stiffer.
__________________
99 Hugger Orange 1LE Camaro A4
New Combo L-92 Block and Heads 416ci
Built by The Head Shop. The heads are fully ported, L76 intake, custom FTI cam and valve train. Tuned by Flaco.Dyno results 508 hp at 5800.
Thanks to Jerry, Shawn,Ed,Flaco,and Richard.

04 2500HD 4x4 The parts Chaser
89 5.0 coupe The 10 year project.
1lejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply


Tags
bars, car, clearance, converter, firebird, lcasfc, ls1tech, matched, sfc, sfcs, squeak, sway, torque, upgrade, ws6


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details