Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

royal purple...10 hp??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default royal purple...10 hp??

i know this might sound silly...but some old guy told me if i put royal purple in my oil and trans fluid...then i would gain about 10-15 more hp...something about less friction?? is this true or is that old guy full of it?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

I think he's full of it.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
Restricted User

I think they did a test on TV where they dynoed an older muscle car. The made a base line run then changed all the fluids (motor, transmission and rear end). It pulled like 10 -15 hp higher with the Royal Purple. Like I said this was on TV so take it for what it is worth...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I saw that same test...Pretty good marketing, but I'm not sure if it's really accurate.

Dyno runs can vary from 10-15hp even without changes. I'm guessing the 10-15hp gain has to do with just running clean oil which should help reduce parasitic loss in the drivetrain, and also just using the best numbers instead of the scientific average of gains.

$5 says if you change oil between runs even with Mobil 1, you'll see gains.

:dunno:
Old 03-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Banned

I have a Royal Rurple Product Catalog here that says.....

Test's were on a 2000 Camaro SS w. T-56:

Hot Rod mangazine got 7 hp
Hot Rod TV got 10 hp
Horsepower TV got 8.8 hp

Now that was with their 5w30 oil, Synchromax (manual tranny fluid), Max-Gear 75w90 and Purple Ice (coolant additive)
Old 03-31-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd be careful with that stuff in the trans. Our T56's don't seem to like very slick synthetic fluids, the synchros start to grind. You need some friction in there...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Teching In

thanks all, ill probably do it when i change my oil...probably not in my tranny...its already wearing out bad enough without the RP...lol
Old 04-01-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I think they did a test on TV where they dynoed an older muscle car. The made a base line run then changed all the fluids (motor, transmission and rear end). It pulled like 10 -15 hp higher with the Royal Purple. Like I said this was on TV so take it for what it is worth...

Royal Purple was one of the sponsors of the program.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, if you use baby oil instead of regular oil, you'll gain 20hp!
Old 04-01-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've heard of guys running hardly any oil in their motor. they would use just enough to keep everything lubed but i belive they said when they made a pass there was close to nothing in the pan it's self. if something happened though it was costly. but if all was well they got a very good gain due to less friction in the motor
Old 04-01-2004, 02:04 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rons 00z
i've heard of guys running hardly any oil in their motor. they would use just enough to keep everything lubed but i belive they said when they made a pass there was close to nothing in the pan it's self. if something happened though it was costly. but if all was well they got a very good gain due to less friction in the motor
what the hell?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Hey, if you use baby oil instead of regular oil, you'll gain 20hp!
You gonna feel bad if someone tries that.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

lol..yea try using cooking oil..that will work too..since it will generate less friction..lol..

i am joking obviously! dont go put cooking oil in your car! hey! i said i was joking! stop it! dont do it!. nooooooooooooo! ..
Old 04-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Banned

I heard shaving cream works! lol
Old 04-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Using synthetic fluids (any of them really) in your car will free up extra HP from reduced friction/heat. Probably around 5-10 or so if you replace ALL of your fluids...

I would reccomend against Royal Purple though. Cummins has actually banned it from there engines because they found excessive valvetrain wear when using it.

Amsoil is a great PAO/Ester blend base stock full synthetic that also lasts a long time, probably the best choice for an N/A motor.

Redline is great too, but probably better for a turbo motor over n/a. It's pure ester base stock- designed for higher temp jet engines, probably not the *best* choice for an N/A motor- but in a turbo it'd be great since it will be fine during the extreme heat in the turbo.

Mobil 1 is great quality too, but 100% PAO base stock...if you change your fluids every 5000 miles or less and don't push your engine VERY VERY hard (ie- very hot oil temps or extreme conditions)- that doesn't really matter much. (pure PAO is less high-temp & contamination resistant than the PAO/Ester blend or pure Ester- but only too a small degree)
Old 04-01-2004, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

The 00' SS on Horsepower TV was mine. Everything was done in a days time. When I went in that mornnig, the car had fresh Valvoline 10w-30 Synthetic motor oil, fresh Redline syn. tranny fluid, and fresh Redline syn. rear end fluid. Believe it or not, the car did pick up 9 rwhp. We made 4 dyno pulls before swapping any fluids, and 5 dyno pulls after. All dynos were done on the same day, same dyno, and same weather conditions, obviously, seeing as how we were inside a climate controlled building.

To sum it up, the Royal Purple DEFENITELY made more power than the fluids I had in the car. And to show you how honest they were, we could have taken the lowest dyno pull before the fluids, and then compared it to the highest pull after the swap, but they didn't, they took the highest of each, which is exactly what they should have done.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Teching In

z28hokie - Cummins has not banned the use of Royal Purple, read your Amsoil propoganda a little more closely, and with a large grain of salt. Cummins recommends against using engine oils with molybdenum disulfide. Being that molybdenum shows up in an RP oil analysis, Amsoil speculates (falsely) this is moly disulfide. Wrong. Moly does not necessarily equal moly disulfide; one would expect an independent oil manufacturer to realize this. This would be like stating all V8 GM engines are LS1's - a gross generalization. RP does not use moly disulfide, or any solid additive technology, and is by no means banned by Cummins or any engine manufacturer.

As far as RP, or any high-end synthetic, being too slick or not providing enough friction for he T56:I have over 50k miles of using RP Synchromax in my T56, which is the same product I use in the gearbox of my 2-stroke race bikes (i.e. wet-clutch w/ paper frictions and aluminum plates). Never an issue in either. How could this be too slick?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dudas35
You gonna feel bad if someone tries that.
Hmmm... nope, can't say that I would! I'd get a good laugh though if someone did that...
Old 04-01-2004, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by rons 00z
Yes, that's an old trick, but you are on the razors edge. At the end of the 1/4 mile most of the oil is in the top half of the engine. That info's 20 years out of date, but it still works. They've gone on to other things. You could apply the same principle to your street engine. With the OEM dipsticks that come with the LS1's you might as well throw chance to the wind any how. The dipstick is awful.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXSSycho
z28hokie - Cummins has not banned the use of Royal Purple, read your Amsoil propoganda a little more closely, and with a large grain of salt. Cummins recommends against using engine oils with molybdenum disulfide. Being that molybdenum shows up in an RP oil analysis, Amsoil speculates (falsely) this is moly disulfide. Wrong. Moly does not necessarily equal moly disulfide; one would expect an independent oil manufacturer to realize this. This would be like stating all V8 GM engines are LS1's - a gross generalization. RP does not use moly disulfide, or any solid additive technology, and is by no means banned by Cummins or any engine manufacturer.

As far as RP, or any high-end synthetic, being too slick or not providing enough friction for he T56:I have over 50k miles of using RP Synchromax in my T56, which is the same product I use in the gearbox of my 2-stroke race bikes (i.e. wet-clutch w/ paper frictions and aluminum plates). Never an issue in either. How could this be too slick?

I'm confused? Amsoil published that? I had heard it from a dodge dealer but they could very well be wrong too...

Are you 100% sure? If that's the case...then RP & Redline are both pretty similiar (both Ester base stocks) and would be ideal for turbo motors.