Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying bolt ons this weekend plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying bolt ons this weekend plz help

I have spent the last year working fromt the ground up and havnt touched the motor other than plugs. I got new wheels/tires, bilstien hds, new clutch, slave, flywheel, new brake calipers, rotors, pads...... And yes i freshened up the stock 10 bolt due to the time the car sat. The car is now road worthy and I want to buy pacesetter LTs, off road Y, and a slp lm2 catback. I am wondeing which Y pipe to go with and should i get off road or emision equiped? I have the means of tuning out SES after install but wanted to get some opinions. Please let me know if i am on the right track. This is all for a 99 TA.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have long tubes you typically won't qualify for any emissions. So having cats is pointless in that regard. The main benefit is that the cats usually cut down on rasp, which the loudmouth catback is notorious for.

99% of the time the ses light will come on with longtubes, whether you have cats or not.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't have to go through emissions testing, might as well save the cash and get the ORY. That's what I did and probably 99% of people here that are allowed to in their state.

Some people don't like the smell, but I don't mind it since I'm not sitting around with the car running in park. I smell it while it's warming up before I leave, then it's gone when I drive.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Any suggestions on which ory to go with? Texas-speed has a pacesetter header & tsp package. I plan on taking a weekend to put all of this in, so i am looking for the best fit and ease of install. And i am not looking to weld anything as it will all be removed and reinstalled when i put in my other motor.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

TSP makes a good stainless one. I'm happy with mine.

You should also look into putting in poly motor mounts while you have the exhaust out. More than likely you old rubber mounts are worn out. You might have your headers hitting the floor board if the mounts are too soft and that'll drive you nuts.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Already have new polly mounts ready in the garage! Planned on trans mount and plug wires too. How was the fit/instl with the tsp ory? Is it doable with jackstands or am i going to figjt with it and have to take it to a shop?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd stay away from the poly trans mount. You'll get excessive vibrations with that. Sell it and get a stock rubber trans mount.

I took my ORY to a shop because my headers had a 3 1/2 collector and everything needed to be adjusted and fit together. I got headers and ORY but kept the stock pipe back to the muffler.

You can do your headers with a jack and jack stands, just make sure you have good jack stands that have a nice wide base.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with the TSP ORY... I has the best merge from what I've seen.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Good to know, i giess i am going to get the pacesetter and tsp ory package from TSP.

Anyone have thoughts on a good short shifter?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP why do you want a LM1 cat back? have you heard what they sound like behind LTs and ORY? it sounds terrible, probly the worst exhaust setup i have ever heard. i would go with something with a real muffler not a straight through "blank" that LM's have. something like magnaflow, corsa, borla....
as for the short throw get an MGW or Pro 5.0
Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whole different story... I myself run a Factory Hurst with UMI ShortStick... I love it... Others will say it's garbage and get a MGW. some will say Pro 5.0 is best and the rest will say Hurst Billet Plus... You will get a million different opinions... Just read threads about em... But if I were you I would just get a ShortStick from WS6. it's nite and day difference just to have the ShortStick. More fun to drive. Plus shorter shifts=quicker shifts=quicker times... Goodluck with your exhaust.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

bp m1009

I dont want the lm1, i want the lm2. There is a slight dif. I have spent alot of time listening to LS1 sounds and youtube clips. For some reason i really liked the sound of LTs ory and lm2. I also liked the price. This car is my toy, and def not a daily driver or a long distance driver. Everyone seems to love the magnaflow, but to me it sounds to much like everything else. I will get back on the computer and take another listen.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What are your future plans for the car? I feel like we offer a pretty good deal on an 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 stainless steel header and y pipe for these cars. We did a lot of work to make sure these would fit a properly maintained car and so far we have had very few issues. If you have any questions or need any more detail feel free to call the shop or send me a PM!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Awsome! I have been on the TSP a good bit planning what i want to do. I have a short block in my garage that is going int for a rebuild. I had planned on going with one of the TSP head and cam packages. I will def be calling in the futur to get some help with head and cam selection. But i have to make sure to get this short block freahened up first. I will be ordering the exhaust some time this weekend i hope