Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best deal on LS1 gasket set?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best deal on LS1 gasket set?

I have a 98 TA WS6. Going to do cam install. Need gasket kit at best price. Mechanic would like the Felpro MTS if I can get it. Suggestions? Head, intake, exhaust, oil pan, timing chain. New head bolts too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

If its just a cam install why would you need new head gaskets?

you must be doing the lifters too...texas speed has pretty good prices from what I can tell!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Default Doing more

Originally Posted by lebedin8654
If its just a cam install why would you need new head gaskets?

you must be doing the lifters too...texas speed has pretty good prices from what I can tell!
Well taking heads off. New lifters, cam, oil pump, timing chain while we are at it.

So need new kit and if not included head bolts. I have looked at a lot of sites with various stages of kits and brands. Usually not all complete and prices all over the place. For example oil pan will be off. Also looking for missing trunion bearings...
Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...m-install-kit/

Make sure to select oil pump o ring option.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with OEM gaskets... felpro are great on sbc motors but are junk on LS cars... none are as good of quality as OEM... check WS6 store or GMpartsdirect for the OEM parts.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by 777
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...m-install-kit/

Make sure to select oil pump o ring option.
Thank you so much. I had done a search at the WS6 store and did not come up with this gasket kit and the other was not what I needed. Awesome. This was a huge headache and I can't thank you enough for the help. I picked out all the upgrade performance parts far easier. I thought finding the gaskets would be no issue but it was. Have a great weekend.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
go with OEM gaskets... felpro are great on sbc motors but are junk on LS cars... none are as good of quality as OEM... check WS6 store or GMpartsdirect for the OEM parts.
I usually use GMpartsdirect for OEM replacement stuff but I need this stuff fast and think I will use the WS6 store this time since that looks like just the set I need and it solves my headache. Thanks for the input. I am going to order some new head bolts with the rest of the stuff from Texas Speed I am having installed.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Ws6 store ftw
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

yea i was suprised that theyre cheaper than summit on the ARP headbolts
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Summit will price match though.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

I am getting the bulk of my actual parts from Texas Speed. They gave me a 95 buck discount on them. But I was not finding the gasket set I wanted. The WS6 store has the right sets, after 777 pointed it out to me as I could not make calls on the weekend to ask. So I will go with that. Also that deal includes the head bolts which makes it an even better deal.

Some gaskets like the intake were designed to be reused. Valve covers might be too. But IMO if you are going to take the time to do the job do it right the first time even for a few more bucks. After all the ones in there are 13 years old. So I am liking the combination of Texas Speed and WS6 store on this one. I am only using stronger parts with the exception of the 224R cam adding power. I had considered keeping it stock as it is now due to having just 40K miles on it but I think it is finally time to crack this open and start adding power for more fun driving it.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are interested in cometecs i found some .040 thick for 54 dollars each on ebay brand new.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well technically all the gaskets except for the head gaskets on an LS motor are reusable... but on a 10+ year old car i would just replace them a well. Also for valve springs check out these from livernois

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...e-Springs.html

good price and nearly indestructible... ive never seen or heard of them breaking
Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Default Yup

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
well technically all the gaskets except for the head gaskets on an LS motor are reusable... but on a 10+ year old car i would just replace them a well. Also for valve springs check out these from livernois

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...e-Springs.html

good price and nearly indestructible... ive never seen or heard of them breaking
Yes many are made to be reusable, but on my 13 year old car my feeling is that do them now anyway because if there were to be an issue it would cost me far more than the gaskets now. For some reason I was not finding the correct set for my car, plus it was the weekend so I could not call anyone to ask. I would find kits with either gaskets I did not need or some missing, so the link to the WS6 store gasket set was a big help and relieved a massive headache. I will check out that link about the valves. Thanks Much.

I have had good luck with members here. I got a great suggestion for a dyno tuner near where my car is right now plus another member offered if I can't do that right away to do a starter flash for me at his shop for free. Can't beat that! I do really appreciate the help. This was planned to be a simple trunion bearing replacement, everything else was a big surprise.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you were able to get what you needed. Good luck on getting everything back to running.

FYI a few of the sponsors will price match, and most of the time it's best to get everything from one place (cheaper shipping usually and only one person to go to if something's wrong) If you can't find something give them a call and I'm sure they'll be glad to package whatever you need.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Default Good idea

Originally Posted by 777
Glad you were able to get what you needed. Good luck on getting everything back to running.

FYI a few of the sponsors will price match, and most of the time it's best to get everything from one place (cheaper shipping usually and only one person to go to if something's wrong) If you can't find something give them a call and I'm sure they'll be glad to package whatever you need.
Good idea. I will use the WS6 store it as a reference and ask Texas Speed if then can match pricing. They gave me a 90 buck discount on the other parts, I think because they said a cam package would be 600 bucks and this made the cost that much. So if they can match it I will do that, if not the WS6 Store. At least I know there is the kit that I need out there to ask them for. Thanks again,
T

Quick Reply: Best deal on LS1 gasket set?