New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on stall, shift kit, and gears please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on stall, shift kit, and gears please.

The primary purposes of my car are roll racing and 1/8th mile drag racing. Also, I don't care about fuel efficiency as the Camaro is not my daily driver. I will also be throwing in a trans cooler with all these goodies as well. With all that said, right now I'm leaning toward a TCI 4,000 stall, TransGo HD2 shift kit, and Motive 3.73 gears (again, with a trans cooler).

Does everything sound/look good? The ultimate goal of the car is to have full bolt-ons and possibly a cam (a pretty nasty one at that). I will monitor trans temps with a gauge in a pod on the A-pillar (as well as AFR when the time comes).
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would advise staying away from TCI. Too many bad reviews. Some people run them and they are alright but majority of what I've seen is that TCI models are low end and can cause major transmission problems if/when they go out.

Shift kit is good. Those gears are good/best for a stock 10-bolt A4 car. Keep in mind that it will weaken/shorten life expectancy of 10-bolt a little, especially on sticky tires.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm not stuck on buying these parts from these particular vendors, but I am still leaning heavily on the TransGo shift kit and Motive gears. I need input on a reputable stall vendor that is still affordable though ($750 or so out the door, shipped).

A 3,800-4,000 stall is ideal.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a built tranny, circle D 5C (4000 stall), and 3.73.. nuff said
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

No thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not???

You could save some money and don't get the shift kit. Put it towards a built trans since that will either come with the shift kit or make it not necessary.

Can't go wrong with Circle D, FTI, or Yank. Those would be my preferred 3. They all have stuff in the $700-$800 range which are really high quality. I personally wouldn't buy a non-billet converter (anything under $500 usually).
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

I'm not exactly budgeted for a built trans. That's probably a good $800-1,000 more than what I have planned.

But I really like the Yank SS 4,000.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Circle d isn't on my top list.. Yank makes a solid all around converter for your normal weekend warrior.

my personal preference is Ptc out of Alabama... And they have a budget friendly converter option if you need that route.. As well as a more expensive higher end choice.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a non billet in certain applications.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We are all about the Yank converters at Texas Speed. Great quality and always do what they are supposed to do. The rest of your plan looks fine to me.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Circle d isn't on my top list.. Yank makes a solid all around converter for your normal weekend warrior.

my personal preference is Ptc out of Alabama... And they have a budget friendly converter option if you need that route.. As well as a more expensive higher end choice.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a non billet in certain applications.
That's right! I remember talking to you about converters and I could have swore you said TCI lol. Thanks for reminder and suggestions.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

No sir... Main reason i would steer clear of tci is the poor lock up. the converters are decently efficient but don't hit hard on average.

Ptc is by far my strongest recommendation.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with PTC whatsoever. Just because someone isn't a sponsor doesn't necessarily mean they don't make a quality converter that will last and perform well. Circle D has just been great with customer service, pics of products, warranty is great. So that's why they would be in my top 2 along with FTI. Both of those, and I believe PTC all make custom units also spec'ed to whatever your application is. As far as I am aware Yank doesn't do that, they shoot for being great for the majority of builds but not necessarily all. For instance the Yank SS series has something like a 2.5 STR, that's a little too much for me I think. I'd rather have something more in the 1.8-2.0 range myself.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to say it, but if your gonna stuff an otherwise stock 4L60e with a big stall and a shift kit and put it through the racing paces weather roll or drag, kind of a time bomb in my experience. been through more than 1. I got my finish line trans years ago and got it on sale. under 1500 for a level 3 with trans go shift kit already installed. im running a yank SS4000 and love it. no idea about other brands but heard great things about ptc. i run Motive 3.90s also, love em, proper setup and not noisey. have run richmonds. good but prefer my motive gears. good luck.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with PTC whatsoever. Just because someone isn't a sponsor doesn't necessarily mean they don't make a quality converter that will last and perform well. Circle D has just been great with customer service, pics of products, warranty is great. So that's why they would be in my top 2 along with FTI. Both of those, and I believe PTC all make custom units also spec'ed to whatever your application is. As far as I am aware Yank doesn't do that, they shoot for being great for the majority of builds but not necessarily all. For instance the Yank SS series has something like a 2.5 STR, that's a little too much for me I think. I'd rather have something more in the 1.8-2.0 range myself.
All of ptcs converters are built to suit each individual setup.

Yank is a top choice because they deliver a solid product on average... Nothing too far below or above expectations... You get what you thought you were going to get... Which is nice in this hobby. For a 500rwhp or under street car, awesome choice. Anything over that and you have much better options in my eyes.

I could care less who is and isn't a sponsor... It means nothing and that's a fact!

Circle d is great when it comes to fixing an issue with their converter, zero doubt about that.. They go that extra length...

The converter world isn't limited to tech but a lot of people seem to.think that.

Quick Reply: Opinions on stall, shift kit, and gears please.