New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best intake/lid?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best intake/lid?

I am sure that this has been talked about to death. But I have a 98 WS6 and was not interested in a new lid until now since I am installing a hotter car as the power making part. The rest such as stronger lifters and rocker bearings and such thing. Since I am in to the motor pretty far I fugured.

I am curious if someone has tried both a lid like comes form SLP and a Volant.

Future plans (around a year away) to install a Procharger. In the meantime I po=land iiiIs when the upgrading of the transmission. Wondering if anyone experience with these;. Of curse things when I caant
Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

You've posed a great question, but, in truth, it has been discussed several times before on this site. You may consider doing a brief search here to get the information that you need faster, since it already exists.

For what it's worth, I did a lot of reasearch before I selected my SLP lid and ram-air intake seven years ago. I'm still pleased with both to this day. Good luck with your search and your decision!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any aftermarket lid will basically perform the same. I wouldn't waste the money on the Volant, but my car came with one so I'm not going to swap it for a lid. Volant may make more power, but if it does, it's not much.

Get an LS6 intake (used are around $300-$400) it's the best bang for your buck. Get a ported stock throttle body (or port your own, there are write ups on here, just search)
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it simple.

LS6 and a Lid (pick your poison) I use a SLP.

If you buy both used maybe 250-300 for the intake and 50$ for the lid.

Or you can go crazy and look at FAST units, I have had both, going from LS6 stock to a 90/90 and back to LS6 (to free up cash), on a cam only car I did not have the cyl head, compression to really make use of it. Car had better mid range power on the LS6.

Some people love bigger than stock Lids/MAF/Throttle bodies, I am not in that camp so its up to you I think for what I read on your other post, a basic lid and LS6 would suit your needs perfect.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Default Ok

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Keep it simple.

LS6 and a Lid (pick your poison) I use a SLP.

If you buy both used maybe 250-300 for the intake and 50$ for the lid.

Or you can go crazy and look at FAST units, I have had both, going from LS6 stock to a 90/90 and back to LS6 (to free up cash), on a cam only car I did not have the cyl head, compression to really make use of it. Car had better mid range power on the LS6.

Some people love bigger than stock Lids/MAF/Throttle bodies, I am not in that camp so its up to you I think for what I read on your other post, a basic lid and LS6 would suit your needs perfect.
Everyone makes good points. I know it is a common question and I will have to learn how to search better. Also though depending on the date I wanted to know if there were other brands I was not aware of from considering a year ago.

The only reason for getting a lid or the Volant since it at least appears to seal to the hood is to make sure it gets enough air with the cam. But even buying any lid is something that I will eventually sell when the Procharger goes in.

In general I am not a fan of most aftermarket air cleaners. Sorts such as the K&N tube with a filter on the end. For reasons from oil contamination to hydro lock to not adding more power in most instances. Also these "cold air intakes" which draw air from under the hood which to me is not cold air.

I have seen ported TB's that looked nice and seemed reasonably priced for how nice they were. However knowing a size that would be appropriate for both now and when I got the blower is something to research.

I am also going to take a hard look at the exhaust before doing anything and making sure it is worth doing. My 98 even has the single outlet out the back which does not bother me but confuses others.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

If that's the case then get a lid only (used <$100) and just a paper air filter like you normally use. I'd still get an ls6 intake and a ported stock throttle body. So that means the size is the same as stock.

As far as cold air intake, it's not cold per se. But you're taking air from under the car (basically outside air temp.) instead of inside the engine bay (150*+)
Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Default Reasonable

Originally Posted by 777
If that's the case then get a lid only (used <$100) and just a paper air filter like you normally use. I'd still get an ls6 intake and a ported stock throttle body. So that means the size is the same as stock.

As far as cold air intake, it's not cold per se. But you're taking air from under the car (basically outside air temp.) instead of inside the engine bay (150*+)
I am using a non-oiled filter with synthetic media and supposedly better flow than stock with great filtration (the part I was interested in). A lid such as from SLP would be fine, then sold later when the blower mod takes place. I was just not sure if there had been any new units come out since I last checked a year ago.

To even have an aftermarket air cleaner would shock people that know me because of my general dislike for these, and those that call themselves CAI when they are not.

Sounds reasonable. I am not trying to make power with this, just support the needs of the mods. I would much rather pay for a nice ported TB than a air cleaner. A LS6 manifold is good idea too. Money has just added up so fast that I don't think I can get that manifold on right now even though it is the perfect time to do so.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Default manifold

Originally Posted by 777

BTW just how much power is the LS6 supposed to generate over my stock one? Also I don't have my manual here but what is the approximate difference between installing one now vs later when the motor is back together? I like the idea but money has added up fast.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always liked the SLP lids. Seem to fit the best and I believe they also looks the best. I think they are all suppose to flow the same.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for an slp lid and the ls6 intake. Both are great and basic.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only time I would run a volant is maybe if I had a WS6! Because the hood opens right to it and that's a maybe. Have u seem the bottom tray on the WS6? way bigger opening than my SS...
Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

I would stay clear of volant. Their kits do not match up and require minor trimming to function properly. Also, they don't offer radiator support once installed.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go FIPK! I did. SLP lids are nice. But I dt want em rubn on the hood of my SS... No good. Same gain as lid+ram anyway. Dnt listen to it pulln in HOT air... Bull$hit.... Me and my budddy swap intake when he DYNO his car and ther was minor difference. Go FIPK!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TomXTC
BTW just how much power is the LS6 supposed to generate over my stock one? Also I don't have my manual here but what is the approximate difference between installing one now vs later when the motor is back together? I like the idea but money has added up fast.
You can expect around 15rwhp with the ls6 manifold. It's fairly easy to install later, certainly not hard enough to spend the extra money to do it now if you don't really have it.

www.ls1howto.com one of the best sites ever. Check it out!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like many others have stated, we would go SLP lid with an LS6 intake. Worth some good power over the stock stuff and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

any lid will do, ls6 intake and ssra.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Default Right

Originally Posted by 777
You can expect around 15rwhp with the ls6 manifold. It's fairly easy to install later, certainly not hard enough to spend the extra money to do it now if you don't really have it.

www.ls1howto.com one of the best sites ever. Check it out!
Yes I thought it was far more important to get a cam in there when the motor was apart and get the manifold later, especially if it is not going to be much more difficult that changing it now. I have already purchased all the parts mentioned before from Texas Speed and gaskets from WS6 to arrive this Friday. Car should be back together early next week.

I am trying to work in a dyno tune about the same time I pick the car up which is another 450 so money is very tight. Though I do want to get the tune done asap as I am anxious to see how things are turning out power wise. But the LS6 manifold used is not too expensive and the lid not much at all. Even though it is not a radical cam it will help breathe better vs stock and with the mods planned down the road make an even larger impact.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Sound good, why cam?

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Like many others have stated, we would go SLP lid with an LS6 intake. Worth some good power over the stock stuff and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get.
A bit off topic here so sorry but....
Sound good and the prices too. Though I had to select a cam in a hurry and took the word the 224R I ordered will work well for now and the 114 LSA might allow it as a blower cam too from what I have been told. I was wondering why the int and exh duration were the same and how that will affect both N/A and FI as opposed to a longer exh duration? The lift sounds about right for the springs and the converter is stock right now. Just curious about that part.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Default ssra?

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
any lid will do, ls6 intake and ssra.
Sorry..."ssra"?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SuperSuckerRamAir... Nice product

Search this Thread