Sponsored by:

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Oil Change

Hey guys,

I am not aware of what the dealer had done when I had purchased the car, and once my Change Oil light came on I figured I might as well get to it. Well I was going to do this last weekend, but I did not have any jack stands and a busted jack. A week later, took care of things. Haven't changed my own oil in years (I had a work truck for the past 3 years which was serviced).

Upon reading some reviews on here, I went with Mobil 1 High Mileage (I'm at 80k) 10w-30 along with a Mobil filter (I forget the part number, it's M-107 I think) I added about 5.7 or so quarts, leaving a little in case I need to top it off later.

Anyway, read a write-up on here and was very simple... aside from the dealership I bought this from had a gorilla hand tighten the oil filter previously lol. Screw driver and a hammer, with some sandpaper on my hands finally got that bitch off. Switched to synthetic finally, I never have run that in any of my previous cars-- figured what the hell. Poured the old stuff into the 5 quart container, and going to give to my buddy who runs bio-diesel

Just thought I'd say thanks to the forum members who post write ups-- even for something as simple as an oil change. I know it's not a head/cam install, but hey-- at least I know this was done right...and that's a start in the right direction (LOL..never been a hands on DIY'er, all I know are computers and how to clean windows haha.)

Now time to wash and wax.......well, maybe tomorrow lol.
-Kenny

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 07-06-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very true- how to's have saved me numerous times...as well as time.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

next time save yourself a few $ and get regular m1, you dont need the high mileage stuff.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't change my own oil in my DD but I have them put in high mileage stuff into it since it has 163k on it...of course I never see them put the oil in so I have no idea if they are actually putting "high-mileage" oil in or not.

I've changed the oil in my Formula once since I bought it last year (actually twice in one day since I didn't check for a double-gasket ) and then my mechanic changed it once when he had it because he had to inspect the engine to see if there was any obvious damage after I drove it 60+ miles on 4 cylinders. I'll never forget to check for a double-gasket again though!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

imo theres no need for "high mileage" oil unless it makes you fell better about it. the previous engine i had in my car had nearly 226k and i used regular oil and it was fine and in a truck i had i did the same thing and that had 155k.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Now with a little confidence you can tackle your next mod or maintanence.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transamtom
Now with a little confidence you can tackle your next mod or maintanence.
I have my MGW shifter coming in Monday, I looked up the write-up and it is step-by-step via pictures. Going to do this on Wednesday
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shifter is **** easy.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats on tackling the oil change. Super easy and now you know it was done right. Consider Pennzoil Ultra for your next change. It is full synthetic and is what lots of us on the forum use. I agree with others, no need for high mileage oil at this point.

Cheers!