Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Fuel pump

I just bought an '01 SS with just under 7K. Needless to say it was a good find. When I went to do the financing the finance manager told me that the service date was up in about 8 months. Then he tries to sell me the extended warranty - I didn't want it - so, he tells me that the LS1s are prone to fuel pump failures (amongst other things) and I'd be sorry. He was a 1st class a-hole about it. He made it sound as if this pump would be making lemonade next week. What do you guys think about what he said?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

I've heard of some of the '98s having fuel pump issues, but thats about it.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Launching!

I've got a 98 TA and have never had a problem with the fuel pump. Mine's only got 13k on it because i store it during crappy michigan winters. If you are like most people on the board you'll end up doing all your own work anyway and voiding out warranty. I usually don't go with extended warranty tho.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

A lot of people have posted about oil pump problems, and I had a water pump die at around 50K miles, but I've not seen or heard much about fuel pumps.

When my car hit 36,001 miles, the modding began, and while I haven't done MUCH with it yet, it hasn't given me too many problems.

-Mike
Old 04-02-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The finance guys make the majority of thier money on extended warranties, from what I understand. That's why he was being a dick. You have purchased a very reliable vehicle, generally speaking.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, it was more than him just offering it - he was almost trying to try and scare me into buying this damn warranty. If I remember correctly it was nearly $1700, and he didn't even bother telling me what the deductible was nor would he let me take the pamphlet home and read over it. He said that if I decided to purchase it later, then GM would charge me a $1000 penalty. He also said the tranny would go out costing me $4K, and if the A/C went out - another $3K.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rcoers
Yeah, it was more than him just offering it - he was almost trying to try and scare me into buying this damn warranty. If I remember correctly it was nearly $1700, and he didn't even bother telling me what the deductible was nor would he let me take the pamphlet home and read over it. He said that if I decided to purchase it later, then GM would charge me a $1000 penalty. He also said the tranny would go out costing me $4K, and if the A/C went out - another $3K.

That is when you say to him "so you mean your dealership lies to customers, the salesman told me this was a solid, reliable car".....shuts them up everytime, or at least cools their heels.