Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head & cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head & cam

has anyone installed trickflo 515 hp genx top end engine kit for gm ls1 from TRE PERFORMANCE and if so how was the install and did you get the performance they promise thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is rated hp from the crank.take a look at the vengeance racing trick flow pkg,it is a better deal then summits .also look at a Texas Speed head/cam combo,alot of heads and cams to choose from.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have several options to choose from, and many that will make that kind of power. I have posted a link to our packages below, and feel free to call us if you have any questions.

http://www.texas-speed.com/c-48-cyli...-packages.aspx
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Hey Jake,

I looked on your site and saw no HP claims. I myself am fairly illiterate to LS1's. I want the most power to the wheels while still behaving on the streets. The car is mostly street driven with minimal track time. Many long distance trips. What would you suggest?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I would say some stage 2.5 ls6 heads and either a tsp228r cam or a tsp 233/239 cam that's what I'm doing to mine and it's my daily driver. This set up should put ya up there
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Im going to use a Livenois Motorsports setup. Theres an 02 WS6 with their stage 3 243 heads, Longtubes, and a Livernois 2R cam and it made 460 wheel..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...-460-rwhp.html
Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
Hey Jake,

I looked on your site and saw no HP claims. I myself am fairly illiterate to LS1's. I want the most power to the wheels while still behaving on the streets. The car is mostly street driven with minimal track time. Many long distance trips. What would you suggest?
Just some useful advice.

Making Most power but behaving on the street is a level of tolerance that each person has and not everyone has the same as you and some are will to deal with more/less than others.

Tuning will be a large piece of the driveability of a car and if you have no emissions or inspections you can speed density tune the car and it virtually eliminates the crankiness of some cams.

If you need to maintain the MAF and if you have scannable ODB2 emissions you need no SES lights so depending on the cam some will be annoying but doable and get decent gas milage.

The sponsor should get you in the right direction and to be honest you dont always want the "biggest cam I can get with out fly cutting the pistons" and be willing to increase the compression ratio with the heads as it helps greatly with NA power.

There is tons of info here, start poking around as well as visit the engine section as well as dyno.

-Last thing to mention as you had not talked about your car...

-Transmission ?
-Stall or CLutch
-Rear Gear selection
-Suspension upgrades

As you make more power you need to build the rest accordingly so you will have a lesser chance of breaking.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most stage 3 ls heads have big valves which work best in a bigger bore motor, 4.0 or bigger.add the size of the intake and exhaust valve to see how close the valves get to the cylinder wall.too close can hurts flow and hp.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/pr...-%26-Cam-Combo
Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

I have this one.

VRX4 Camshaft 228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA

Good camshaft, made 386 rwhp on a m6 12 bolt car (3" steel DS), bolt ons and catted Y. Would have made 400 if the car had a stock DS and a 10 bolt. Great street cam and very fun to drive.

Sometimes wished I went to a VRX 5 or 6 but it is what it is. As the cost to actually throw a new cam is more than just the cam cost as I still run a stock original timing chain, oil pump and would need a new spring kit and simply I can put together a basica nitrous kit and make 100 hp easy over what I am making and basically be running 480-500 rwhp for same money and make MAYBE 5-20 hp with a cam swap.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 07-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with TFS heads IMO. mods in sig. Tough to beat the power they make even in the "as cast" form with a low/mid 230's cam. I say find an installer tell them what you "want" out of it since its not always about big numbers. And have them put a combo together for you....its all about how the individual parts work together.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I agree completely with BlackScreaminMachine and garygnu.

Driveability is really a personal preference, but with the right information from you, we can spec you something that will meet your realistic goals, and something that you will be happy with and want to drive once its all together.

If you have any questions or need help narrowing things down, please give us a call!
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Launching!

I have heard good things about Texas Speed. I will give you guys a call when the money is there. It may be a while.... *Sigh*