Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure too high?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Pressure too high?

I recently added a cam and some other parts to my LS1. One part was a ported LS6 oil pump from Texas Speed. It said it would increase pressure by 10PSI but seems to have done more than that. I am sitting at about 60 PSI when cold, 40PSI when hot moving to to 58PSI when under acceleration. I am worried about oil starvation in the pan and possible foaming or other issues with this much pressure. I asked the dyno tuner about this who did not seem to think there is an issue but without knowing how much is in the pan at all times or how fast oil is draining back I want to make sure I am not now having too much pressure. Any advice on this or a way to measure or ensure I am not having too much pressure now that could cause some of these issues? I am using Mobil 1 5-30 and EP filter.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

our oil gauge isnt the most accurate one out there. IMO i think your fine ive seen somewhere that oil pressures can get up to 60 on the gauge when cold. hell back when i had my 01 ss when it was stock some mornings it was pushing 50 or 45 on the gauge. and i live in flordia. get an aftermarket gauge if you want more accurate readings.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Teching In

You have nothing to worry about. Many people would be very happy with that oil pressure.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem on cold start itd be 70 when i put my high volume pump in.. its been that way for 30k miles and runs like a champ .
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a texas speed ported Ls6 pump in my ls1 and I see 70+ psi at WOT.
I Also did a melling high volume pump in my 5.3L, left the high pressure spring in the pump. It makes 70 psi around 3k rpm's.

No problems on either motor with that much oil pressure, no leaks or excess metal on drain plug, ect. I run M1 5-30 on both and the larger delco PF61 filter, full 6qts just over the high line. You will be just fine at that pressure.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Default Good to hear

Good to hear. As I am unsure of the accuracy of the gauge and have no level sensor in the pan I want to make sure. I just had the pan off which would have been a great time to add in a sensor. It is not the easiest pan to drop I have owned so doing that now does not sound fun after just having it all buttoned up.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually your 98 has a accurate gauge. Now the later models were more like idiot guages. My 98s oil presssure guage reads between 70 and 80 cold, When it gets warmed up it drops to maybe 45. I also run 6 quarts of oil and haven't ever experinced running the pan dry (like a BBC will) at the track.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Actually your 98 has a accurate gauge. Now the later models were more like idiot guages. My 98s oil presssure guage reads between 70 and 80 cold, When it gets warmed up it drops to maybe 45. I also run 6 quarts of oil and haven't ever experinced running the pan dry (like a BBC will) at the track.
Your thinking about the coolant temp gauge. The 98s will fluctuate where the 99+ coolant gauges, after reaching operating temps, stay there as long as the temp is within a specified range.

OP, your fine. The stock pumps I have seen on the cars and trucks both, show idle psi when at operating temp normally at ~40 psi. More when cold, obviously, and more as rpms increase.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Default I think it will be ok

I think it will be OK or I would not have done it. Just checking it out as it increased more than the 10PSI as advertised. It is much more responsive now though which I like. Meaning that it will move the needle quickly along with acceleration etc.. The pressure increase was just about double what I expected over stock. But as long as it is not starving that is good. I asked the dyno tuner about this that mods LS Vettes etc. and he said he thought it was fine and even positive for the future mods I have planned. Just one person I spoke to had a concern with oil not returning to the pan quickly enough or possible foaming. I am running M1 5-30 and think everything is ok but just wanting to check. I would like to have an oil level sensor in the pan and at least check pressure with a gauge to see if the one of the dash is accurate but otherwise the mods including the pump all seem positive to me so far. Next up is a converter and headers/exhaust. A little power increase just piques my interest in adding more as planned.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Default Good filter info.

Originally Posted by conan
I have a texas speed ported Ls6 pump in my ls1 and I see 70+ psi at WOT.
I Also did a melling high volume pump in my 5.3L, left the high pressure spring in the pump. It makes 70 psi around 3k rpm's.

No problems on either motor with that much oil pressure, no leaks or excess metal on drain plug, ect. I run M1 5-30 on both and the larger delco PF61 filter, full 6qts just over the high line. You will be just fine at that pressure.
That was one thing I was going to check in to next. I have a Mobil 1 EP stock size filter in there and change the oil plenty often as it is so cheap for M1 5-30 or M1 EP 5-30($23-$26 5 quart jug) but have been wondering why it was so small for a larger motor and if there was a replacement with no clearance issues...seems that there is so I will be using that next time.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the best pic I have of the filter... http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/262

It hangs about 1 inch below the bottom of the pan. I have never had a scratch on the filter bottom, so clearance is not a problem.

Filter #'s
A-C delco - PF61
Wix - 51522
Same filter ^^^

I thought the same thing about the small filter being small for a big engine, Also the long filter is easier to remove than the shorty.

Last edited by conan; 07-22-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah that oil pressure is fine. All I have is lt and a lid and a tune and this is mine cruising in 5th

As you can see its a touch past 70psi under normal driving. At wot it pegs out past the 80 mark.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have 3.73's? BTW your car looks like it's still "cold" considering the temp gauge isn't straight up. My car runs high oil pressure like that too when it's not fully warmed up. Then it stays around 40-50psi under normal driving.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
Do you have 3.73's? BTW your car looks like it's still "cold" considering the temp gauge isn't straight up. My car runs high oil pressure like that too when it's not fully warmed up. Then it stays around 40-50psi under normal driving.
No my car has 4.10s. And no thats where my car stays at. I have a 180 stat in it. My oil psi is always high. Never goes below 60 for sure but I dont think I've ever seen it lower than around 65 actually.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure too high?