Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another low oil pressure thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another low oil pressure thread

I finally got my Ls1 out of a 2000 camaro running. It took a few seconds to build pressure as it probably sat for a year or something. Anyways, it went up to 25psi and stopped. I slowly revved it a little to see if it would go up but it didn't. It has new oil and an autometer cobalt electric oil pressure gauge. The engine has 99k I think. I took the oil cap off and looked in, and still looked dry inside. Any ideas? I find it odd that it peaks at 25 and doesn't move when revved. How long does it take to get oil to the rockers? I let it turn over a bit before firing it up.

Edit: I took a valve cover off and it is getting oil there. It's not all over the back of the cover (idk if the oilers squirt oil everywhere or not) but it looks like its getting what it needs.

Last edited by LsxWRX; 07-19-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your getting oil up to the top end I would try a mechanical gauge to verify the new gauge is working properly. The steady 25psi is a little suspect to me.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its been sitting that long without running i wouldnt be THAT concerned. It could easily be gummed up. I would however strongly recommend an oil change and something like a sea-foam treatment.

Oil pressure has a lot to do with the way it is running also. So if your plugs are bad, and the car is running in a low rpm range it will cause a low oil pressure read out too. It can also read low if you are low on oil. Did you check to make sure it was full?

Idealy you'd want to be around 40psi on startup, 30psi idle when warm. Of course that will vary.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Teching In

I took the sending unit out to put in a mechanical gauge and there wasn't any oil in that port. Could this be an oil pickup o ring problem? I was reading about how important an how many people have a problem with this. When I put my pickup tube on, I just reused the old o ring and just pushed it into the block and tighten it down. I didn't know there was a certain way to do it.

An yes, the engine is full of oil.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Ok I took the oil pump off and cant find anything wrong with it...the relief valve piston slides up and down freely after removing the spring, and the gear meshes tightly. And the o ring wasn't pinched. However, I had a spare pickup tube laying around, and it does slide in with pretty much no resistance, considering the new o ring is a tight fit, but looked like it was doing its job. The pump, and the oil filter had oil in it, but the area right around the cam was pretty dry.

Also, I took the adapter out of that oil port and it had a little bit of an oil film on it, but not enough to reach the sending unit.

Im puzzled at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Another low oil pressure thread