Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some serious help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some serious help.

Hey guys. I'm in the military and I've had my bird parked for quite some time. I'm in a bind and need to return this baby to its former legality as far as emissions are concerned. I added the LS6 intake and !EGR before I was stationed at Ft. Bragg.

What I need to do is:

Purchase the right catalytic converters. One's that won't worsen my horsepower by too much. I also need to figure out the diameter. I think it's 2.5".

I also need to get a mail-order tune to delete the EGR code as well as the rear o2 sensors.

It's been a very long time since I've tinkered with my car and basically, needless to say, all the knowledge that I had before got dumped. I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our mail order tunes or $225, and we also offer a few different hi-flow catalytic converters, but give us ring if you have any questions!
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PMed ya. How strict is GA as far as the visual goes? If they dont really look it over, like here in NV, you might only need a tune.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 AM
12 Second Club

Illinois is pretty strickt but they don't do a visual, just get a tune and forget about cats IMO
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 AM
On The Tree

Being in the military, it is probably a good idea to have his vehicle ready to pass any states tests. Could be in any state a month from now.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TraptLP
Hey guys. I'm in the military and I've had my bird parked for quite some time. I'm in a bind and need to return this baby to its former legality as far as emissions are concerned. I added the LS6 intake and !EGR before I was stationed at Ft. Bragg.

What I need to do is:

Purchase the right catalytic converters. One's that won't worsen my horsepower by too much. I also need to figure out the diameter. I think it's 2.5".

I also need to get a mail-order tune to delete the EGR code as well as the rear o2 sensors.

It's been a very long time since I've tinkered with my car and basically, needless to say, all the knowledge that I had before got dumped. I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Why not just leave the car registered in your home of record state? As long as there is no emissions there. As long as I was in the army my car was registered in FL where we have no emissions
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Being a local resident I can tell you that the visual inspection is not strict but you will need cats... gutted cats are fine. All they check to see is if you have cats. I literally used to choke out the service man with gas fumes at my local emissions place while he handed me a passing inspection sheet. My cats were gutted an I used to run rich. Never had a problem passing.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Also, spark plug non-foulers are an easy way to trick the ECU into thinking the gutted cats are working normally.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it started?