Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Headers/Cams Illegal?

I live in Mass if that helps, thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about Mass. but here in PA anything but a stock exhaust or equivalent is illegal. But having a modified exhaust doesn't fail us for inspection and cops around here don't pull people over for modified exhaust unless they want probable cause for a stop which is very rare (I know this because I am one lol). Check your vehicle code and ask around to see if it is enforced there or not.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't say it's illegal. BUT some areas have emmissions that you may not pass with certain cams. I'm in Texas where the laws are fairly relexed. Just check the county where you live and see what they test for your inspection each year.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

check with your state and talking to people with modified cars in your area is the best advice i can give about how laws concerning modifications and how strict enforcement is.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Yes, LT headers that relocate the cats (every set of LT headers for these cars does this, and is thus illegal) and/or delete systems such as EGR and AIR, and camshafts with a profile other than stock are federally illegal. The USEPA views any modifications that deviate from stock specifications (from air inlet to tail pipe) as tampering and thus illegal. Anyone that does not understand this is likely not aware of the details concerning the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990. But the feds are not in the pratice of enforcing this to it's letter, nor do they enforce it on an individual, private owner level.

So what really matters is what sort of test process you have to face in your local area, if any, and this will determine what you can get away with.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Here in VA our state inspection involves a VISUAL inspection of all emissions systems. Check engine light will cause a fail. I have known people to gut a catalytic converter and weld it in, passes a VISUAL test every time. Here in VA a cam wouldn't be an issue. A full exhaust including catalytic converters and exhaust exiting past passenger compartment would also pass.

BUT, from a LEGAL standpoint, RPM WS6 is correct. Federal law says modification of car is illegal for use on highway. That is why all aftermarket parts have "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" in their writeup.

Get with some local guys and find out what your state looks at, how particular they are. My plans are to install LT headers with cats exiting at the rear bumper, looks good for visual and still performs. Keep the AIR system because it doesn't hurt performance and inspection is looking for it.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here in FL it's also illegal to modify the exhaust, but I've never had a single officer stop me for it, even when they have been next to me with their window down.

I don't see why heads and cam would be illegal unless they would prevent you from passing the emissions test (if you have one there).
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Illegal...technically yes, but for the majority noone is going to call you out on it unless your car is ridiculously loud.

In Mass, you shouldn't have any trouble with said mods. Never heard of a cop or whatever looking under someone's car and giving them a fine for having long tube headers or a cam. And with the right tune, you can pass inspection just fine and dandy as long as the inspector is not a bitch about your car being a little louder than normal.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

just make sure that if you decide to mod your car, that when you go for emissions the car is tuned for the proper things and make sure your ses light isnt on.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

That's one of the great things about Michigan - We're an automotive Somalia!

No emission/vehicle testing, no HOV lanes, only one toll road (the Mac Bridge), 70 mph speed limits even in urban areas!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Launching!

As has been mentioned already, any type of modifications that moves or modifies the stock emissions equipment are illegal. That means LT headers are illegal even if you keep cat converters & the emissions equipment. It also means that an intake manifold that removes the egr for a 98-00 LS1 f-body engine is illegal.
There are a few performance cams that are CARB approved & 50 state legal. But no one really worries about it though because unless the camshaft is pulled out of the car there's not really any way of proving that it's illegal.

Your best bet is just to be smart about things. If your state has stringent inspection laws then find out what will get you in trouble.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you've got to wonder if a cop will ever pull you over....and sniff your exhaust tips for emissions......or if hes going to jack up your car and look for cats...

thank god i live in alabama.

id hate to deal with those emissions and speed cams, etc......its getting strict in some places.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

MASS is getting tough with their emission laws. Word around the campfire in the eastern section is they are at some point going to be able to tell what your doing to the PCM and deleting codes. I would PM Slowhawk a sponsor here and see what he has to say as he does work in MA and knows the ins and outs.

I live in CT and get to hear the stories so I would just check around when it comes to mods. Like RPM said, moving the cat is illegal. Technically your only allowed to remove it so that you can put one back on or a "test pipe" to check for a broken down CAT. In CT they care about cats, not so much the placement.

Only state that makes sure you have your CARB #'s for everything is Cali and thankfully no one else follows their lead.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

MASS is getting tough with their emission laws. Word around the campfire in the eastern section is they are at some point going to be able to tell what your doing to the PCM and deleting codes. I would PM Slowhawk a sponsor here and see what he has to say as he does work in MA and knows the ins and outs.
It's like that for Fords and imports apparently, so far GM cars have been doing fine. Haven't had trouble passing this year with tuned out codes.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by redtan
It's like that for Fords and imports apparently, so far GM cars have been doing fine. Haven't had trouble passing this year with tuned out codes.
Yea, most of them have 03-04 Cobra's and seem to have that issue. Good to hear GM not so much.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=anthony.fatica;16602242]I don't know about Mass. but here in PA anything but a stock exhaust or equivalent is illegal. But having a modified exhaust doesn't fail us for inspection and cops around here don't pull people over for modified exhaust unless they want probable cause for a stop which is very rare (I know this because I am one lol). Check your vehicle code and ask around to see if it is enforced there or not.

I guess we wont be seeing you in the kills section.

Between my ls6 intake and lts I'm on the verge of a felony...lol

Quick Reply: Are Headers/Cams Illegal?