Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Real Dumb?

I don't know were to post this but here goes.
This is pretty dumb by the they but I just got my car started and it is pretty noisy. I'm not too sure if this is normal for a bolt on car. To me it sounds more loud when I accelerate but once I get on the highway it quiets down. It has a 4k stall and thats were most of the noise is coming from. At least that my assumption. My question is is that normal for a high stall car? I will try to post a video.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your description is really vague, could you describe in more detail what the noise sounds like and where it sounds like it is coming from.

If it does sound like its coming from the trans/bellhousing area, its possible that the converter or the front pump could be whining.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't here a whine or any thing abnormal coming from the trans area, but I'm no expert. What I'm noticing is an increasing in exhaust volume when I rev it, to get up to speed for normal driving. I thought it was coming from the tranny but it sounds normal compared to some of the high stall videos folks have posted. I'm still working on the video myself and will try to post it today.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont mean to be smart, as it may come off that way, but exhaust volume will increase with rpm. It can vary how much depending on what exhaust you are running.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
I dont mean to be smart, as it may come off that way, but exhaust volume will increase with rpm. It can vary how much depending on what exhaust you are running.
HA!!!

OP would it be possible at all to get a video of the noise. I have never driven a stalled auto so I'm no expert but did this noise just start all of a sudden or did you install the 4k stall and immediately the noise began?

As many details that you can think of will help us diagnose the problem for you. A VIDEO would be the best way to do that.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Exhaust leak?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

i have a 3600 stall in my silverado and i can hit the gas(maybe 1/4 throttle) goin down the road accelerating, revs up to like 3k but if i hit the gas more( half throttle?) the rpms dont change really, maybe by 100rpms but the engine noise gets louder as im putting more load on it, if thats what you mean but...

btw hate that stall converters for street driving
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

here's a link I hope it works. the video is a highway run you'll probably going to here a lot of ticking but thats because i took the measurements without adding preload. thats happening this weekend. I'm now pretty posistive that this noise is just exhaust volume from the stall. This is my first bolt on car with the LT headers and its just different from what I was used to hearing. here's the link. Oh and it needs a tune for sure.

Quick Reply: Real Dumb?