Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mile LS1 Rebuild for a road course car

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mile LS1 Rebuild for a road course car

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I bought a 2000 FRC Corvette with a stock LS1 back in May. The car is track only, I take it to road courses like NJ Motorsports park, etc. Just track days this year, maybe go racing in NASA ST2 next year if I can get a cage in it. Anyway, the car now has 114k miles on it, and about 6k track miles. It runs good, burns about a quart of oil over the course of a weekend, and makes good power. I had an oil analysis done by blackstone and everything came back great. I currently short shift the car at 5500 rpms as I really don't know the internal condition of the motor. I'm a complete noob to cars, though I've been building one off custom motorcycles for about 5 years. My plan next month is to start tearing into this engine to freshen it up for next season, and make a bit more power. Reliable power is key here. I also do not have easy access to a lift, so if possible I want to leave it in the car. I would like to do a heavy duty timing chain, ported oil pump, and springs at the minimum. If compression checks out ok, maybe a mild cam but I need to research that some more as I know nothing about it. LT headers are on the wish list but money is tight so I'll have to see. I also have a Z06 clutch sitting here, and I'd like to do a lightweight aluminum flywheel. What else should I check? Any suggestions are appreciated. I ordered a few books on the subject, and there seems to be a ton of info here. Looking forward to this project!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would pull the heads off when you crack in to the motor for the timing chain and oil pump. Replace the lifters and change the valve seals when you install new springs for the cam this will help your oil consumption. You could also add titanium retainers to your valve springs to lighten up the valve train. Get the heads milled a little to make sure they are straight and throw on some MLS gaskets. I would also add a PCV catch can to your pcv system this will also keep the intake clean and help in the oil consumption department.

I would go with a ls2 or C5R timing chain, stud the heads, and do a ported ls6 oil pump as well.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it were mine ( and its not lol) I would locate a core and build it up the way you want doing plenty of research on here as you go to ensure you get the most out of your hard earned $$ rather than tear apart a perfectly good running engine.

I have 3 LS1 cars , all stock internals with bolt on mods ,1 6 speed with 232K and 2 autos with 169K & 173K .

Maybe I have been fortunate over the years but I have had more cars with over 200k on stock engines than less. My 6 speed car had had mods in place for approx 140K and cracked 11's at the track for previous owner ( I witnessed it ) and he auto crossed it a fair amount so I am not talking babied LS1's being capable with high miles. One of my auto cars (173K) was sprayed a lot on top of bolt ons before I got it and I have seen videos of it being beaten mercilessly at an oval track spectator drag event.

When you are all done your new engine you can sell the original engine to someone in need of an engine or a core to do the same thing...to some people 114k is low miles and if you poke around the high mileage threads theres several that have surpassed 300k with many others besides mine over 200k.

I may be off base here but in general I see corvettes leading easier lives than f bodies depending on who owns them , sounds like yours is a M6 car so probably been put through the paces more than your typical auto car .

There is also the added bonus in the meantime of rubbing it in that your accomplishments are using a "high miles original " engine

Whatever you decide to do have fun!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by murphinator
if it were mine ( and its not lol) I would locate a core and build it up the way you want doing plenty of research on here as you go to ensure you get the most out of your hard earned $$ rather than tear apart a perfectly good running engine.

I have 3 LS1 cars , all stock internals with bolt on mods ,1 6 speed with 232K and 2 autos with 169K & 173K .

Maybe I have been fortunate over the years but I have had more cars with over 200k on stock engines than less. My 6 speed car had had mods in place for approx 140K and cracked 11's at the track for previous owner ( I witnessed it ) and he auto crossed it a fair amount so I am not talking babied LS1's being capable with high miles. One of my auto cars (173K) was sprayed a lot on top of bolt ons before I got it and I have seen videos of it being beaten mercilessly at an oval track spectator drag event.

When you are all done your new engine you can sell the original engine to someone in need of an engine or a core to do the same thing...to some people 114k is low miles and if you poke around the high mileage threads theres several that have surpassed 300k with many others besides mine over 200k.

I may be off base here but in general I see corvettes leading easier lives than f bodies depending on who owns them , sounds like yours is a M6 car so probably been put through the paces more than your typical auto car .

There is also the added bonus in the meantime of rubbing it in that your accomplishments are using a "high miles original " engine

Whatever you decide to do have fun!
Agreed, 114K on these engines is just breaking it in lol. All in all you shouldn't really have to worry about it
Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Well no matter what I'd like to juice it up a bit. I'm about 60hp down for the class I want to race. I can make some up if I reduce weight, but all the easy/cheap weight is already outa the car. LS6 is pretty much the baseline for the corvettes in ST2 so that's what I'm up against. Pulling the engine outa the car adds a whole new set of problems, I don't have a lift and I mostly work alone. A buddy will do it for $1500 and that's cheap for the job but it's still $1500 I could spend on headers and now I'm depending on someone else and in my book there is nothing worse. I'm not drag racing, I'm road racing.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Then you need to be looking in the way of bolt-ons and a tune.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

So what bolt ons would you suggest? Hell I don't even really know what's out there, and while I've got the front of the engine all apart, I should do the cam? I'll have to find out what the roadracing guys are using. I've already removed the cats, and have a K&N filter, and a tune.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a ls6 intake .get a good oil catch can,or get a water trap for a compressor from home depot.you can buy a engine hoist from harbor freight for $150.are you going to keep your current heads, or get some 243/799 heads ?these heads mite net you 20 more hp.if the engine is coming out consider some new kaltech rod bolts.check vengeance racing or Texas Speed for a good cam pkg,which includes cam,springs ,push rods.a ls2 timing chain should work.you will need a retune,the oil from the K&N can affect the MAP.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

cold air intake , intake manifold , long tube headers , and a tune should get you in the 60 hp range you are looking for , add a cam and fresh springs if you want even more power while leaving the long block alone until it tells you it needs to come apart.upgrading the oil pump is also a good idea-you will be shocked what bolt ons and a tune will do...

Blackstone allready confirmed its health maybe send them a sample or 2 a season ??

shop pre owned mods on here - bolt ons are typically non/low wear items always someone doing a demod.

even if your not tuning it yourself invest in a wideband so you can always ensure your getting enough fuel at WOT and that your tuner did their job reasonably. $200-300 will get you a basic one , I like my afx with the ntk sensor had it for years with no issues. Then it will allready be in place when you do build an engine.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

114k is ok. Leave it for now.

Buy the top end off a 02-03 Z06 with the cam, the 243 heads(off the Z06) and LS6 intake are all the same, the cam is different for the 02-03 cars which is what gives it 405 hp.

If you get heads off a Z06 it will have lightweight valves and you can run the Yellow factory LS6 springs if you wanted, I have Pac 1218's on mine and are a good middle of the road spring.

Cut the LS6 heads to 62 CC to bump compression a little.

With these parts, intake, headers, no cats and a tune it will make 380-390 to the wheels and be dead reliable. You will essentially have a LS6 like came in the 02-03 Z06.

Put the KATECH timing chain in it, yes its expensive but it wont break.

Put a stock oil pump in, no need for anything else. Maybe a stock LS6 pump.

Later on if ya really want to make some power you have a good foundation, forged rods and pistons, send the heads to Advanced Induction have then CNC ported, add their cam and make 450 to the wheels.

I did this in my Z28 Trackday/HPDE car and love the nice broad flat power it makes.

BTW, stud the heads?????????

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-03-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
get a ls6 intake .get a good oil catch can,or get a water trap for a compressor from home depot.you can buy a engine hoist from harbor freight for $150.are you going to keep your current heads, or get some 243/799 heads ?these heads mite net you 20 more hp.if the engine is coming out consider some new kaltech rod bolts.check vengeance racing or Texas Speed for a good cam pkg,which includes cam,springs ,push rods.a ls2 timing chain should work.you will need a retune,the oil from the K&N can affect the MAP.
Thanks for the mention!!

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I bought a 2000 FRC Corvette with a stock LS1 back in May. The car is track only, I take it to road courses like NJ Motorsports park, etc. Just track days this year, maybe go racing in NASA ST2 next year if I can get a cage in it. Anyway, the car now has 114k miles on it, and about 6k track miles. It runs good, burns about a quart of oil over the course of a weekend, and makes good power. I had an oil analysis done by blackstone and everything came back great. I currently short shift the car at 5500 rpms as I really don't know the internal condition of the motor. I'm a complete noob to cars, though I've been building one off custom motorcycles for about 5 years. My plan next month is to start tearing into this engine to freshen it up for next season, and make a bit more power. Reliable power is key here. I also do not have easy access to a lift, so if possible I want to leave it in the car. I would like to do a heavy duty timing chain, ported oil pump, and springs at the minimum. If compression checks out ok, maybe a mild cam but I need to research that some more as I know nothing about it. LT headers are on the wish list but money is tight so I'll have to see. I also have a Z06 clutch sitting here, and I'd like to do a lightweight aluminum flywheel. What else should I check? Any suggestions are appreciated. I ordered a few books on the subject, and there seems to be a ton of info here. Looking forward to this project!
We would be glad to discuss your build and options for the future! Feel free to shoot me a PM or call here at the shop to chat with us! (678)513-7105
Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with conan.

I would do things to preserve that motor, while adding horsepower.

So along with that he said, I would do a mild cam. Something that gives you a nice bump in power across the board, but keeps drivability... you're going to have the heads and timing cover off anyways. Then anything you can do to save weight and add HP. Aluminum flywheel will be a nice addition, you'll notice a big difference rev-matching.

Also, did you look into any suspension? Sounds like the only thing that hasnt been mentioned.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vette doesn't need suspension, he can lower it on bolts and put a good alignment on it....other than that run it.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Car already has coilovers, sway bars, poly bushings, track alignment, corner weighted, big brakes, etc etc. I've ripped out every ounce of easy weight, close to 300 lbs total. Engine is the last thing on the list. Thanks for all the input guys, it's really appreciated. I bought an LS6 top end over the weekend, intake, injectors, TB, 243 heads. From here I'll buy stuff in bits and pieces as I have the coin, and start working on the motor over the winter.

Quick Reply: High Mile LS1 Rebuild for a road course car