Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Of Heart??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Change Of Heart??

Ok, I don't know if anyone here remembers me, but about a month ago i posted that I was going to the Navy and I had a good sign-up Bonus. But it looks like they pushed my entering date to be sooner than it was suppose to, and it looks like I am gonna have more money than I thought.

Now here's my question: I LOVE LS1's, and have been dreaming about getting one for the longest time, but i was in college and couldn't afford it, so the plan was once i am out of boot camp, i would buy one. But now that I will have more money, my friend told me, I should look into a 93+ supra, and mod that, with better results. I love how supra's look when they have body kits on them , and I did hear that they put out some serious HP when moded. But I feel like I am a trader, i feel like not getting an LS1 and getting a supra would be conforming, and not going with my passion, though my passion is to go fast!

so bottom line, i just want u fellow LS1'ers to tell me what u guys would do if u had the money? and if anyone here with supra knowledge, I want to know if it will cost as much to mod a supra as it would to mod an LS1, more, less??

Thanks in advance guys...Sorry if the post was too long!!!

Last edited by themindfield; 04-06-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

But I feel like I am a trader, i feel like not getting an LS1 and getting a supra would be conforming, and not going with my passion, though my passion is to go fast!
follow your heart!!!!!!!!! if you dont scratch that itch you will allways be saying ,WHAT IF????????????
Old 04-06-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Well if you want to go fast in your Ls1 look here http://www.lingenfelter.com/pac427cidls1f.asp
Package includes:

Engine removal, inspection and disassembly
Custom 7.0 L aluminum block preparation
CNC porting and polishing of cylinder heads
LPE valve springs and titanium retainers
Stainless steel intake and exhaust valves
Three angle valve job, correct setting of spring tensions
Custom designed LPE hydraulic roller camshaft
Custom forged aluminum pistons
Custom forged steel crankshaft & billet steel connecting rods
Computer balanced rotation assembly
Reassembly and blueprinting of the engine
Professional installation, testing and tuning
Ported throttle body
Port matched LS6 intake manifold
Borla stainless steel exhaust system
Low restriction air filter housing and K&N air filter
Chassis dyno report
2 Year/24,000 mile warranty
Original engine reused for cores
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

dude, follow your passion. after my '98 formula ws6 got totalled, i got a different vehicle to try and satiate my fathers wishes. second biggest mistake of my young adult life. now i'm in a '00 t/a m6 and i'm happy as can be. btw, for what its worth, its going to cost you close to 35k to mod a supra to do 10's or lower. you can mod an ls1 to do tens w/less then 20k(in mods alone). i'm in the army, and trust me as long as you're single and have half a brain, you'll have more money then you know what to do with. spend it wisely, and you'll have one badass ride. i say go with what feels right for you. all i know is that nothing beats the feelin you get when you dump the clutch on an american v-8(unless you're behind an american v-10 ). good luck with whatever you choose man, and thanks for serving beside me.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

so u guys don't think that a few grand under the supra's hood would yield a lot of horsepower?? I am not very familar with supras or how much it would cost to turn one into a single turbo monster like a t88 one? I guess i am just a lil confused, that's all..
Old 04-07-2004, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

Import performance is very expensive ..

I had a Lexus SC300 .. Same supra engine minus the Turbo but w/more Lexus luxury .. Cost me near $7500 for a Toymoto Turbo kit and with that I can beat a bolt-on WS6. I loved that car but that was my wife's car before we had our baby. HP for $$ .. You will get more out of the LS1. If you have unlimited funds and want extreme power 700hp+ then get the supra ..
Old 04-07-2004, 05:22 AM
TECH Regular

i am a domestic junkie by design, but let me simply say this:

LS1/F body/Domestic car clubs/crowd: good guys/gals
Supra/Import Car clubs: not my crowd

you will not only be getting a car, but a reputation with it if that makes sense

Originally Posted by themindfield
Ok, I don't know if anyone here remembers me, but about a month ago i posted that I was going to the Navy and I had a good sign-up Bonus. But it looks like they pushed my entering date to be sooner than it was suppose to, and it looks like I am gonna have more money than I thought.

Now here's my question: I LOVE LS1's, and have been dreaming about getting one for the longest time, but i was in college and couldn't afford it, so the plan was once i am out of boot camp, i would buy one. But now that I will have more money, my friend told me, I should look into a 93+ supra, and mod that, with better results. I love how supra's look when they have body kits on them , and I did hear that they put out some serious HP when moded. But I feel like I am a trader, i feel like not getting an LS1 and getting a supra would be conforming, and not going with my passion, though my passion is to go fast!

so bottom line, i just want u fellow LS1'ers to tell me what u guys would do if u had the money? and if anyone here with supra knowledge, I want to know if it will cost as much to mod a supra as it would to mod an LS1, more, less??

Thanks in advance guys...Sorry if the post was too long!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Supras are awesome and I know first hand b/c I used to own one, but their mods seem more expensive than the LS1's. Theya re too completely different animals. I personally like the v-8 with the power/tq available all the time. The Supras handle really well, and going around turns makes you feel like your on a rail. I always liked the cockpit of the Supra better, and shifting just seems alot better. After modding my LS1 I love it, more so than I ever did with he Supra. Test drive them both, which everone makes you the happiest then get that one.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with PizzOnFord (although I'm insulted by his/her name). Seriously though, look at both cars. Test drive them both and then decide. Personally, I say go with your gut instinct. About a year ago I rushed and went out and bought an 01' Mustang GT. I enjoy driving it (it's basically a weekend car) but now I'm no longer satisfied. To get the power out of it that I want, I'm going to have to invest into a blower. My brother lives in Savannah, GA, which is like F-Body heaven, loves to crack jokes on me about buying a "slow-***-sissy-car". He reminded me of how much I used to love Camaro's when I was a kid and how the first car that I went to the track with (uh, with him because he was driving) was his 69' Camaro. With that being said, I'm now determined to sell or trade in my Stang and buy an F-body. I'm pissed because it's like wasting thousands of dollars, when I could have/should have taken a little bit more time, followed my gut feeling and bought a stronger/faster car. I remember when you made your posting a little while ago--you were determined to get your F-Body. If that's what you want, get the F-body and be happy. Dude, trust me, there's nothing worst then thinking, "Gee, I sure wished that I would have gotten that other car"
Old 04-07-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supras are nice, but $$ for $$, for what you can get a 2000+ Ws6 for, you can just touch a 945-95 supra with 100K plus....

I was in the same situation, but the 1998 Ws6 was $10,000-20,000 cheaper than the 1998 supra (andi wanted a 98+ car, for financing reasons)

I am a domestic muscle car fan, and all, but supras are very nice rides, there is a reason that they were $50K cars

also for serious drag racing, the f-body is better, for highway racing, ect, the supras are sweet.

Ryan

Last edited by slow; 04-07-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Easy choice here......Stick with the LS1
Old 04-07-2004, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Seriously, you guys are so fucken awsome . and Bklynstanger, you're right, i was/am determined to get my ls1, I've been dreaming and promising myself that once done with college and once i have an income, I would get one. I guess the supra was just a thought. Only thing is, i wouldn't even know where to start modding a supra. I've been reading on this forum for so long now, that I have all my future mods already written down, and I know how much HP i should expect from my car, and et times. I have it all laid out with the LS1. I just hate to be ignorant towards another vehicle that's all.

again u guys really rock!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure, supras make mad hp,
but what about the tq?
why is it 500, 600, and 700hp supras all run 11's?

do yourself a favor.
buy a pos f-body and spray it.
there's the 11's of a supra with a fraction of the cost.