Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry HELP!! Car won't start.

Does anyone know how the electrical systems work on these cars? My guess is that if the voltage gets too low, it automatically kills power to prevent any further damage. Is this true? My dome light came on and everything seemed normal, but as soon as I turned the key.......nothing! The dome light died and the battery had no juice left. Maybe a fuse went dead, but which one is connected to the starter. First thing tomorrow, I am going to have my battery checked out to see if it's dead, but any suggestions would be great. I tried jumper cables and it brought the dome light back on, but as soon as I turned the key........nothing! Thanks for replying in advance.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you just try to jump start it with another car or use a battery charger?if you did you might have damage something or zapped the pcm.I could be wrong.maybe you need a new battery.I use battery charger to charge mine and its fine.or your alt. is going out on you.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:13 AM
STF Veteran

Test the battery with a voltmeter. The steady state full charge should be 12.6 volts with engine off. If the voltage is below 12, chances are there is not enough amperage potential to crank the motor. Most likely, your battery is dead.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

The same thing happend with my Z. It could possibly be your starter.
You need 2 people to do this. Jack the car up and use something metal to connect the + & - ends of the starter (I used a screwdriver). Have someone turning the ignition key while you make the connection. It might take some adjusting to get it to touch both but you can do it.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSuperchargedLS1
The same thing happend with my Z. It could possibly be your starter.
You need 2 people to do this. Jack the car up and use something metal to connect the + & - ends of the starter (I used a screwdriver). Have someone turning the ignition key while you make the connection. It might take some adjusting to get it to touch both but you can do it.
Are you trying to blow something up? Are you suggesing that he short the connection?

--VIP1
Old 04-13-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the battery off and took it to the local Autozone. They said the battery was fine. However before I put it back on the car, I cleaned the + terminal with a tire brush. Then, when I connected the - terminal, I knew I have power because I could hear it. The car started up just fine. Kind of weird, I hadn't noticed any drop in voltage on my gauge when I was driving home last night (before all this happened). Anyways, I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you see your voltage going below 13 while driving for awhile and keeps dropping your alt. is on its way out.just replaced mine on the faked SS due to that.good luck.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it the stock delco battery?? these have been know to lead out battery acid, and corrode the terminals......which means you will need a new battery, just make sure they are clean

and btw, i see you have an m6, why not get it rolling, and dump the clutch to start it??

good luck
jimmy