New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 ls1, ls6/fast 92 intake or headers first?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 ls1, ls6/fast 92 intake or headers first?

Been wrestling over the issue of which mod will provide the best bang for the buck for my fathers 99 camaro ls1 M6. The car currently has a K&N FIPK, magnaflow catback, P&P TB, and a PCM tune. Besides this stuff, stock motor.

What would provide the greatest gains for the dollar? The car still has the original LS1 intake and exhaust manifolds. We want to keep everything emissions legal as well, so no removal of the EGR system will happen.

So what shall the verdict be, LS6 intake with EGR, FAST 92mm w/ 92mm TB, or ARH 1 7/8 headers (ARH as I believe they are one of the only brands that offer emissions provisions, unless there are others at similar quality and stainless steel?)

Edit: If we used a regular LS6 intake off an 01 or 02 and removed the EGR system, would that technically make it emissions compliant as we have now converted the motor to use the LS6 intake which did not require an EGR system? Just trying to wrap my head around the best way to do this.

Last edited by bpalma; 12-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would do headers first, then intake.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

I agree... You have to be able to exhst before you can see improvements from intake, along with that more than likely you would have to get retune with new intake, specially if you want to go FAST 92/92, because you are goin to want to use an 85mm GM MAF, that is not compatible with the stock 78mm MAF tables.

No EGR should be needed with ls6 intake, fuel rail conversion. but again, it would have to be tune.

Last edited by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A; 12-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

I second LASTOFTHEBREED. Intake will not be beneficial until you have an exhaust setup that can back up the extra flow.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I tend to agree with needing headers first, and I didn't realize I would need to get the 85mm MAF with the FAST, forgot about that one. So really a cheap ls6 intake and headers are the best way to go, eliminate EGR and get TSP headers, get rid of the AIR system.

If I got the headers first without the LS6, I would need to get something like the expensive ARH headers to keep the EGR setup correct?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

If you're worried about keeping the emissions related stuff like the EGR then you don't have to get the most expensive headers. Just make sure they do not say "offroad" because those are the ones that do not have EGR or AIR mounts.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Headers first then intake.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bpalma
We want to keep everything emissions legal as well, so no removal of the EGR system will happen.

Edit: If we used a regular LS6 intake off an 01 or 02 and removed the EGR system, would that technically make it emissions compliant as we have now converted the motor to use the LS6 intake which did not require an EGR system? Just trying to wrap my head around the best way to do this.
Just so you know there is no such thing as emissions legal long tube headers. It doesn't matter if they have AIR and EGR fittings there still not legal. Also using a LS6 intake doesn't update your car to the 01-02 emissions standards, to stay legal if you car came with EGR it has to keep it. I'm not trying to be an emissions **** here I just want to make sure you don't show up for an emissions test thinking you'll be fine and find out your screwed. I live in Iowa we don't have any inspections at all, I plan to ditch my AIR, EGR, and run LT's with an ORY.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So really a cheap ls6 intake and headers
I hate to say but they dont come cheap.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys appreciate the help!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Launching!

tsp headers are awesome. I just had the 1 7/8 installed with ory sweet
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

To speak on the emission compliant issue with the car, if you remove the A.I.R system and the EGR the vehicle will not be emission legal. Any modifications to the vehicles emission components it came from the factory with is illegal. Now that being said many states that have emission testing such as mine just plug in the OBDII port and check all the monitors pertaining to the emmisions system. So as long as your readiness monitors read ok then you will pass an emissions test. If your vehicle ever got inspected it would not pass just because the parts wouldn't be there but very few if any states visually inspect anymore to my knowledge. I would buy some quality headers and a LS6 intake, remove all the emissions junk and get a tune to set all the monitors to ok and you should be good to go. Just remember don't skimp on the parts, paying more upfront can save more money and headaches down the road.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks man, I hear ya about the emissions compliant bull I hate it. I would like to keep everything legal if possible, here in Ontario its not uncommon for the DMV to pull over vehicles and look for modifications that are illegal.

Would the TSP 1 7/8 headers have provisions for the EGR and Air pump? If they had them I would get those and get the LS6 intake with EGR to keep everything as legit as possible. Nothing wrong with helping the environment in a minute way if possible lol.

Edit: Just found my answer, right from the horses mouth, TSP headers are offroad only, no emissions provisions.

ARH headers are $1492 + shipping! Does any manufacture make a good fitting, stainless steel header with emissions provisions at a good price? Kooks are really expensive as well.

Opinions on headers like Hooker or BBK? I know pacesetters are rusty junk, seen those in person before lol.

Last edited by bpalma; 12-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a link to something like what you're looking for.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pace-Setter/76...rentProductId=
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, You could get a BBK intake which has provisions for the egr and requires no modification to the egr tube to install it.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Whats an EGR? JK!... Im sure there is plenty of applications out there to pass emissions requirements, might sacrifice a few rwhp in the process tho.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you're wanting to just keep all emissions control devices installed and functioning, regardless if it's legal..., please clarify!

Now, if that's not the case then you exhaust options are limited to shorty headers or gm manifolds, and there's a few things you can do to make some improvements there. IMO, if you have the heads ported and milled and put a small cam in it they'll never know unless they take your engine apart and a bbk intake has the provisions to hook up the egr without any modifications at all.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Ideally I want to keep all emissions systems intact because I dont feel like having the car impounded by DMV for missing bullshit stuff like EGR or airpump. These are street cars after all. I called ARH and they will included all the emissions provisions on their headers, unlike TSP.

Pacesetters are junk I will never touch those cheap rusty pieces of crap. I like to install quality parts on my car, hopefully not breaking the bank but it can break it a little if its a quality piece. Ive witnessed paceshitters rusting very fast bran new on other vehicles (Mostly 3800 v6s wbody's), terrible quality and fitment as well.

I may end up going with ARH, have to see if anyone else makes a quality STAINLESS header that fits good and will have the EGR and air pump provision for 98-00 LS1s (dads car), Air pump for 01-02 (my car).

For the intake i'll probably end up going with LS6 intake w/ EGR, I dont like the idea of heat soaking aluminum intakes some other manufactures make. There is a reason all intakes on factory engines are plastic now a days.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Weight savings is a large part of that, but IMO the BBK will out perform the LS6 and the heat soak although real, is a lot less of a issue then you might think. So if you're set on plastic then I'd get a FAST 92 intake, it also provisions for the egr, but you'll have to do a little dremel work to open up the hole where it mounts then the egr tube fits in with no modification.
The headers would be my first choice also and YES, the ARH are worth the price, and go ahead an get the 1-7/8" .
Keep us posted on you finally go with.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

I would definitely say go for the exhaust first. I know you said you hate pacesetters, but have you ever had them coated? I have the pacesetter lt's on mine with all the emissions provisions. I had them ceramic coated by jet hot. They look awesome and are emission correct for under $1k, which is a pretty decent price for a fbody. You'll learn soon enough that intake/exhaust is never cheap as we said previously.

I live in Massachusetts and they are pretty tight with emissions/safety inspections here. Although they only plug into the obdII port and check for correct operation of components instead of climbing under the hood or car and checking for missing emissions pieces.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: 99 ls1, ls6/fast 92 intake or headers first?