Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob LS inquiries?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noob LS inquiries?

Ok guys Im a GM noob I know some things about cars but this is uncharted territory for me. I have some Ls questions that people I know cant answer or I dont trust what they are saying because it doesnt sound like what I know to be true about most engines. The first is I have a 69 Camaro that I recently purchased, the car has a new 350 with a fresh muncie 4spd. I havent really driven the car yet because it wasnt quite complete (its in the shop now getting panels welded and is due to be out this week) however I got the car with the intent of putting an ls in it. I have a few question,I know to a point what an ls1 and ls2 are but I read about the lq9 motors and that kind of confused me. What are the major differences and price ranges they go for? I thought I wanted an LS2 because the LS1 wasnt good enough in my mind but after reading some threads the LS1 seems like the best option and can get lots of power easily. Also it seems like once I do the conversion going to the LS2 or a different motor in the family would be an easier install. The second thing is mileage, I always thought I wanted an LS with under 50k on the motor for durability reasons. The LS guys I know all insist that changing heads and cam on any LS is nearly like rebuilding the motor and no matter the miles all LS motors will last a long time. I dont know if I can trust that old motors bottom end is the part to be concerned with so it only seems logical that a newer motor would have similar properties. Also when buying an LS how can you determine if the mileage is accurate to what the seller is saying? I have seen a few LS motors I want but I am afraid they could have really high miles. I deduced myself the only thing I could do is buy one thats still in the car to determine the motors condition. Is this really a big deal or am I a worry wart? Guys I appreciate any and all help, I hope soon I can get the right deal on a motor and pretty soon I will start me LS thread so I can keep everyone posted. Thank you happy holidays guys, Anthony
Old 12-25-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I Pervey my comments with I have never Done a conversion, so I will only speak on what I know. The LQ9 and LQ4 are both iron block 6.0's. They can make great power, and as your friend indicated they like all other LS motors are extremely reliable. Your friend is correct in a way, building the top side of the motor is where the majority of your power comes from and is more than half the cost of the total engine in most cases.

Now, there are a few things more that would need to be know in order to give specific recommendations on motors, like what are your power goals? What is this going to be? What's the tranny going to be? And do you prefer Aluminum or Iron block?

Also, you can search this forum and find a TREMENDOUS amount of info from people either doing crazy conversions, or crazy motor stuff. For instance, just search "junkyard motor" on this site and you will find ample amounts of post on motors pulled used to go crazy fast! There's a dude on here using a 4.8 LS and running 8.70's in the 1/4!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427zm
I Pervey my comments with I have never Done a conversion, so I will only speak on what I know. The LQ9 and LQ4 are both iron block 6.0's. They can make great power, and as your friend indicated they like all other LS motors are extremely reliable. Your friend is correct in a way, building the top side of the motor is where the majority of your power comes from and is more than half the cost of the total engine in most cases.

Now, there are a few things more that would need to be know in order to give specific recommendations on motors, like what are your power goals? What is this going to be? What's the tranny going to be? And do you prefer Aluminum or Iron block?

Also, you can search this forum and find a TREMENDOUS amount of info from people either doing crazy conversions, or crazy motor stuff. For instance, just search "junkyard motor" on this site and you will find ample amounts of post on motors pulled used to go crazy fast! There's a dude on here using a 4.8 LS and running 8.70's in the 1/4!

Thanks!! I appreciate the help! I guess my power goal is somewhere like 400-478 torque and horsepower. Are the Lq motors more affordable, and are they considered LS motors or not? I dont have a problem with an iron block as long as they are just as durable dependable and generate the same or similar power. As for trans I would like a 6 spd but an automatic is fine with me too. I kinda would like to get them together if that would. I am guessing those lq motors are a lot cheaper than an ls2. Im going to look up junkyard motor also thanks again for all your help!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

^ An LQ Block is a tad cheaper because it's not aluminum... But some like to argue that the iron strength is more peace of mind. All still 6b mains and the same LS architecture. Some still call it an LS, but it's a truck block.. No big deal for us, as long as you don't post pics and call it an LS2 or 3.

A 6.0 is a great foundation. Very strong and can make as much power as you can afford.

Look for PatG for cam recommendations when you're ready to buy. He charges, but I'm running one of his grinds and I really like it.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Can a lq or ly motor be had for under 1500? Would a truck block motor in a generation 1 f-body decrease the value of your car as opposed to if you had a regular ls motor in your? Is there a specific place people get truck ls type complete motors like lkq or s place like that? thanks guys this is all very informative.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I found an LQ9 shortblock on CL once for $1500.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ I found an LQ9 shortblock on CL once for $1500.

How many miles did it have, also what would be a better starting point the lq9/ly6/lq4 or would a straight ls even an ls1 be a better base?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

I am in the same boat so to speak. I am planning on an LS conversion for my 78 vette. I found a 6.0 liter LQ9 Cadillac Escalade Engine from a 2004 model with 100k on it for $1600, is that a fair price? What kind of power do they put out stock? I am looking for around 400 with SBC 383, going to mount up to a 2004R.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lq9 with an l92 top end is an extremely budget friendly setup that will make very good power.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Lq9 with an l92 top end is an extremely budget friendly setup that will make very good power.

What about durabiity, how many miles are they good for? I would get one of those motors but dont want to be replacing it after 50k because it had 130 on it already.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 69greyghost
What about durabiity, how many miles are they good for? I would get one of those motors but dont want to be replacing it after 50k because it had 130 on it already.
Honestly you're being a bit of a "worry wart"(your words not mine) about the
mileage issue as the GM engineers designed this engine family for 250,000miles
Plenty of people on here have well over 2 hundred....some w/mods...although
I wouldn't guarantee that longevity at your desired power level 475h/400t.
Recently a magazine took a junkyard LQ9 w/190K on it and changed only the
cam, push rods, valvesprings, and intake manifold (plummed for fogger NOS)
It made 460 flywheel horsepower and they finally stopped hosing it at like 748
horse power after more than 60 dyno pulls. Upon teardown they found nothing
wrong with any internal parts.
I'd say for your project try and find an al (LS2/LS3) engine if spirited handling
(G ride/touring) is what you're after as the less weight will help a bit for that.
If you just want get up and go pop for the occasional "row through the gears"
then the LQ9 (silverado SS/Escalade) will help you reach your power goals as
they have the flat top pistons (10:1 comp) where as the LQ 4 have dished for
9.5 to one. Like others have said....search these forums and in no time you
will gain so much info it'll confuse you on what mods you want....LOL
I'd suggest some Total Engine Airflow prepped Trick Flow heads and a mid 230
@ .050 size cam for the sixties idle that your car needs yet have go anywhere
manners...plus you'll need at least a FAST 92/102 intake to meet your power
wishes.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Honestly you're being a bit of a "worry wart"(your words not mine) about the
mileage issue as the GM engineers designed this engine family for 250,000miles
Plenty of people on here have well over 2 hundred....some w/mods...although
I wouldn't guarantee that longevity at your desired power level 475h/400t.
Recently a magazine took a junkyard LQ9 w/190K on it and changed only the
cam, push rods, valvesprings, and intake manifold (plummed for fogger NOS)
It made 460 flywheel horsepower and they finally stopped hosing it at like 748
horse power after more than 60 dyno pulls. Upon teardown they found nothing
wrong with any internal parts.
I'd say for your project try and find an al (LS2/LS3) engine if spirited handling
(G ride/touring) is what you're after as the less weight will help a bit for that.
If you just want get up and go pop for the occasional "row through the gears"
then the LQ9 (silverado SS/Escalade) will help you reach your power goals as
they have the flat top pistons (10:1 comp) where as the LQ 4 have dished for
9.5 to one. Like others have said....search these forums and in no time you
will gain so much info it'll confuse you on what mods you want....LOL
I'd suggest some Total Engine Airflow prepped Trick Flow heads and a mid 230
@ .050 size cam for the sixties idle that your car needs yet have go anywhere
manners...plus you'll need at least a FAST 92/102 intake to meet your power
wishes.

I appreciate that it was very helpful with some good info. I guess my final question on this is if I were to get one of those truck motors if I change the cam heads and freshen up the bottom end without taking it apart would that help or just be overkill?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 69greyghost
I appreciate that it was very helpful with some good info. I guess my final question on this is if I were to get one of those truck motors if I change the cam heads and freshen up the bottom end without taking it apart would that help or just be overkill?
Honestly I wouldn't bother puttin' rings and bearings unless you absolutely
will not sleep at night over it....LOL; Id do heads...even CNC 243 castings if
budget doesn't allow for aftermarket, cam, correct length hardened push rods,
LS2 timing chain (new HD $40 chain which works w/your stock gears.
I also posted a few links to engines/heads for sale on your other thread....

Quick Reply: Noob LS inquiries?