Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about air fuel gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about air fuel gauges

The air/fuel gauges inside the car...where do they hook up and how do they work? Oil, Temp and others are easy to understand, but with A/F it is dealing with 2 different things, so I'm curious, unless it just plugs into the pcm. I also wonder if they are accurate?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Default this is were it plugs in

Originally Posted by The Kiss Guy
The air/fuel gauges inside the car...where do they hook up and how do they work? Oil, Temp and others are easy to understand, but with A/F it is dealing with 2 different things, so I'm curious, unless it just plugs into the pcm. I also wonder if they are accurate?
it actually plugs in to your sensor right b4 your cats...u kinda have to bypass the wiring to that sensor..east to do...it reads how rich or lean your engin is running...if your engine is buring to much fuel it will be on the rich side...if your running to much air not enough fuell..your on the lean side...u wanna be balenced...o yeah they sell a plug in to make it easier and alot more accurate
Old 04-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Cool. I was thinking of getting a gauge pillar sometime soon and the A/F was going to be one of the gauges. I know dyno tuning can get you close, but would love to have a gauge telling me the A/F while speeding down the strip.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Actually, wouldn't that be more accurate than the tail pipe sensors used on the dyno? Seems it would be.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

A/F guages aren't all that accurate. Kind of a "ballpark" reading, more so a light show.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Default yes

Actually, wouldn't that be more accurate than the tail pipe sensors used on the dyno? Seems it would be.
yeah it is a lil more accurate...it reads b4 the cats...unless u don't have cats...but the closer you have the connection to the motor...the more accurate it will read...if u read after the cats...it kinda f**ks up the reading...but yeah the a/f gauge is great i got one myself after i installed my cam...in the second hole for the pillar i put in my shift light...looks great...gives it a nice look
Old 04-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Launching!

No it won't be more accurate b/c it is based off an already inconsistant stock 02. The actual WideBand 02 used by dyno's is a ton more accurate. The stock oxygen sensors are OK for tuning purposes really. They can get you in the ballpark, but thats about it IMO.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. I was thinking of getting a gauge pillar sometime soon and the A/F was going to be one of the gauges. I know dyno tuning can get you close, but would love to have a gauge telling me the A/F while speeding down the strip.
Well... the A/F meter won't really tell you much. the LEDs will light randomly like crazy Right to Left. At WOT it will indicate RICH and on hard deceleration it will indicate LEAN or might not even light up at all. Oh, and if you want a more accurate reading of how everything is working I suggest that you buy 2 A/F meters; one for each bank. I have one on my A-pillar and although it doesn't really serve a real purpose, it certainly looks good and gets plenty of compliments.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chris89gta
No it won't be more accurate b/c it is based off an already inconsistant stock 02. The actual WideBand 02 used by dyno's is a ton more accurate. The stock oxygen sensors are OK for tuning purposes really. They can get you in the ballpark, but thats about it IMO.
yeah tru it ain't dead on...its in the ballpark..ok for tuning like they said...it is a nice light show..and peole do give alot of complimeants
Old 04-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Launching!

The reason it fluxuates so much at idle or cruising is b/c that is what the 02 sensors do. They go up and down constantly trying to keep a 14.7:1 A/F at idle and cruise, unless programed otherwise. If you have a stock tune, they yeah the A/F guage will show RICH b/c the stock program is rich as hell. GM did that for a reason, so it wouldn't run lean and then they would have to replace a ton of motors...
Old 04-17-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to remember is when the fluxuations of the lights (flipping back and forth) seem to be slower than usual indicates that your 02 sensor is going bad.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a warning to all that have one.......the A/F guage that I had was constantly making my 02's go bad. I know this b/c I logged different runs, one with the guage hooked up and one without the gauge hooked up and I got two totally different readings on both of the front 02's. I talked with a couple of ppl about it and we concluded that it was drawing voltage out of the o2 forcing the computer to dump more fuel then needed which was burning up my o2's up about once every 3 months. I strongly suggest not hooking up one of these up IMHO.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Just a warning to all that have one.......the A/F guage that I had was constantly making my 02's go bad. I know this b/c I logged different runs, one with the guage hooked up and one without the gauge hooked up and I got two totally different readings on both of the front 02's. I talked with a couple of ppl about it and we concluded that it was drawing voltage out of the o2 forcing the computer to dump more fuel then needed which was burning up my o2's up about once every 3 months. I strongly suggest not hooking up one of these up IMHO.

I haven't had any problems in over a year on my Z or my Ram pick up that had one for 3 years. I think that if you follow AutoMeter's instructions and use wiring of the recommended gauge everything should be fine.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Waste of time unless you think everyday is christmas, bling, bling.