Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z28 VS. police edt. z28?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default z28 VS. police edt. z28?

What are the differences in the regular 1998 z28 and a 1998 Police edition z28?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one has blue lights on top the other dont....

sorry couln't help it
Old 04-17-2004, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Haha nice... but camaro cops dont have blue lights on top.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

originally posted by fbodfather on ls1.com
Got this question asked on another board and figured that because the question comes up with regularity, I'd post it here, too.......... (moderators...you may want to move this to other forums.......)

The question: How does a B4C differ from a Z28?

Since 1998, the only real parts difference, overall is the rear trailing arms.
The packaging is different. From 1998 thru 2000, the B4C came with a Power Steering Cooler, whereas the Z28 offered the cooler as an option....however, the cooler was made standard on all V8s in 2001/ 2002.....
From 1998 thru 2000, the B4C included Eagle RS-A Tires..which meant the car was not speed limited to 110 (or thereabouts) as a standard Z28 with the standard Eagle GA tires. (Z28s with RS-A tires or GSCs were speed limited to 162mph as I recall.)

From 1998 thru 2002, the B4C had power windows, locks, mirrors, and driver's seat in the package along with, I believe, fog lamps cruise control, and a power hatch release. (this forces a heavier wiring harness in the body of the car.......) The B4C also came with the vinyl steering wheel and brake release handle unless you specifically ordered the leather wrapped wheel ('98/'99) or the "Duplicate Radio Controls" (00, 01, 02) which got you the leather wrapped wheel and brake release. The B4C also deleted the Z28 emblems and furthermore forced a body colored roof panel, rather than the black roof panel that Z28s came with. CC1 removable roof panels were not available. The 6-speed transmission WAS available. However, from Start of Production in the '98 model year, thru the end of January 2002, the B4C could only be ordered 'Fleet' and that required a 6-digit fleet code to do so. Starting in February of 2002, the B4C was opened up (quietly) to retail orders for a good reason: We told (thru our fleet operations) all B4C users that fleet orders would not be accepted after February 1 due to build out and the large number of sold orders. Naturally, we started getting calls from dealers/police departments wanting to "order one more car......."

No larger battery, no larger alternator, no special transmission or engine or brakes......

oh....a few other things....I believe we made the Monsoon system standard on the Z28 in 1998. (memory is fading...it's late.....) The B4C, on the other hand, got the standard radio ...but could be upgraded to the Monsoon as a free flow option.... and remote keyless entry, while in the upgrade package on the Z28 was a free flow option on the B4C. AND......depending on the number of orders, we would two-tone cars with B4C....required, as I recall, a 90 day lead time and line drawings would have to be submitted.....and the colors had to be existing RPO colors........paint lines would be established by body panels. Most usually had doors and hood the secondary color with the rest of the panels the primary color. There was a charge for this, and thus, most departments desiring special paint would do it locally once they received the cars.

Hope that clears up the mystery...............

Scott S.
hope this helps.

Ryan
Old 04-17-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Not as much as you think. The B4C (the police package) doesn't include as much special voodoo as you read or hear some people say. In fact, its basically a regular Z28, but without the badges, and its cheaper so its easier for LE to buy them.

Aslo, IIRC, its technically a service package and not a performance package.

edit - Wow, that got posted at nearly the same time. Also, the Monsoon was not standard on the Z28 in 1998, since mine has the standard grade radio.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

well dam ... why the hell have i been stopping for them then...
next time they get the gas pedal :p
Old 04-18-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
well dam ... why the hell have i been stopping for them then...
next time they get the gas pedal :p
because you'd be amazed at what radios can run in the 1/4 mile
Old 04-18-2004, 12:49 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

haha ... very true, very true.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Haha damn straight
Old 04-18-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL
Old 04-21-2004, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

at 165+mph his call will sound something like....

"be on the lookout for a orange... ummmm... streak...it was orange... and uuuummm streaky... really hauling azz... oh never mind...."
lol
Old 04-22-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

at 165+ thats gunna be one really messy roadblock. well i'm sure they wouldn't be that dumb... so it'll be really messy when you hit that spike strip. please don't do that to such a beautiful car, i have a sweet spot for SOM WS6s
Old 04-22-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

at 162mph you'll be racing radios and most likely choppers if you're near any decent sized city...you'd be amazed at their acceleration....LOL
Old 04-22-2004, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

msg boards dont exactly translate sarcasm....
i was joking guys...
if a cop is behind me and the blues come on , i pull over...

now there was the once or twice he was flying at 80+ in one direction
and i was flying 80+ in the other and do a fly by......

by the time he turns around , gets up to speed and gets back to the spot he saw me,
i have gotten onff the main highway made 4 differant turns and am now going the speed limit ,sweaten bullits...

but in the past if there was no place to jump off and on to back roads i pull over and wait for him....
(once waited almost 5 mins)(you know how far you can go in 5 mins?)

but take it easy guys , i dont make habbit of trying to evade police... i aint tryin to end up on a rerun of cops
Old 04-22-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ I've got one for you Jaberwaki...

Took a vaca day last summer to do some cruising... It was about 4:30PM, afternoon traffic was starting to kick in, only it was the North bound coming back from Mass on Rt 3 that was busy. I was flying Southbound (heading into Mass) doing 85+mph (Running a little later than I wanted to be) Local Patroller heading Northbound hit his lights just after I went past and started working his way through the traffic (I'm always checking my rear view when I spot LE). So, I'm not taking any chances, I jump off the next exit which was less than a minute down the highway. Already running late, I decided at that point to scrap the whole trip and head home, so I jump right back onto the Highway going Northbound, staying in the right hand lane to keep a low profile. I only get a few hundred yards on the Highway, and sure enough there's that local flying down the Southbound with his lights on. Went right past the exit I got off. Still sucked though, cause I then spent almost an hour in traffic getting back home, on an 85 degree sunny summer day. I always wondered if it was just a coincidence and he was just heading to some other emergency, but I never wonder enough to wish I had just kept going. Not gonna take that chance.