New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA - 2 months, clumps of dirt...not good

Old 04-19-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSRA - 2 months, clumps of dirt...not good

putting back on my SLP mass air meter, i decided to clean my Holley filter.

smacking the side of the filter with my palm, literally clumps of dirt fell out. took about 5 smacks for most of it to come out. this can't be good!

either i'm gonna put a wire mesh screen at the bottom, or i'm gonna take off the bottom part permanently. the SSRA definitely does work though.

also, the SLP gave me an immediate SOTP feel. i took it off before due to some mild pinging.....but that was when i was being cheap and using 87 octane....probably triggered knock sensor and it lowere timing too, causing decreased in performance. with 89 octane, i do notice better accelleration right away with the SLP MAM. dunno why people talk bad about it. my car is almost stock.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skunk50
putting back on my SLP mass air meter, i decided to clean my Holley filter.

smacking the side of the filter with my palm, literally clumps of dirt fell out. took about 5 smacks for most of it to come out. this can't be good!

either i'm gonna put a wire mesh screen at the bottom, or i'm gonna take off the bottom part permanently. the SSRA definitely does work though.

also, the SLP gave me an immediate SOTP feel. i took it off before due to some mild pinging.....but that was when i was being cheap and using 87 octane....probably triggered knock sensor and it lowere timing too, causing decreased in performance. with 89 octane, i do notice better accelleration right away with the SLP MAM. dunno why people talk bad about it. my car is almost stock.

These LS1's do not like the low actane fuel...u will get better gas milege and performance with preimun fuel...u must b plowin fields to get that kind of crap up in there..got 30k miles on mine with no problems like that...
Old 04-19-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
These LS1's do not like the low actane fuel...u will get better gas milege and performance with preimun fuel...u must b plowin fields to get that kind of crap up in there..got 30k miles on mine with no problems like that...
i dunno dude, i've have ram air on 3 Mustangs (March Ram Air and homemade) and they do suck up dirt and leaves (in the fall).

but i've never seen this much w/i 2 months before. this was a freaking lot. and i drive 67-70% on the highway. and i live in the suburbs of Wash DC, so no dirt roads and such. this was really alarming!

(btw for me, gas mileage is the best with 87 octane and the worse with 93 octane...but i'm going to keep it at 89 minimum to be safer). performance definitely is better with 89 octane. however, it could be due to my triggering the knock sensor...lowering timing with the 87 octane, and when i switched to 93, it didn't revert back immediately? anyone know?
Old 04-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Read this thread about fuel:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/156999-premium-gas.html

In short, use what the General suggests: 91+

BTW, I'm not surprised by the dirt in the filter.

--VIP1

Search this Thread