Sponsored by:

LT/ORY/Cutout vs Catback

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT/ORY/Cutout vs Catback

Hello LS1 gurus!

I've searched and read many posts regarding the exhaust setups, but I really didn't find the specific info that I was looking for.

My awesome woman is going to donate $500 towards my car as a bday gift and I'm going back and forth trying to decide what to buy with it. Right now the only things done to the car are cutout (dumped before axle), FRA mod, and lid. I want to eventually go the heads/cam route with stall and all that, but for now want to get the exhaust done.

So....my questions:
With the $500 would I see more gains from getting a LT/ORY setup for now and keep the stock catback (with cutout), or start with replacing the stock catback and get the LT/ORY later on down the road?

If I go with the tubers and ORY, how much louder will the car be compared to just having the cutout?

I have a feeling it would be best to keep the stock catback with cutout for now and get the tubes and y-pipe, as far as performance gains, but I am concerned about the noise levels with the ORY+cutout. I love the loudness. I know some people like their cars quieter but I love being loud and obnoxious. For now I have never been pulled over for the cutout and have been around TONS of cops. With the tubers and ORY, though, will it increase the sound levels a whole lot? I have the a4 with the lowest gears - I believe the 2.73s - so I'm never really going above 2,000rpms while just cruising, and the exhaust doesn't really seem to get loud until ~2,300rpms. If the cops have left me alone so far and I keep the rpms below that sweet spot do you all think I could get away with the LTs and ORY?

And before any of you say it, I know about e-cutouts. Mine is a manual cutout and I don't have the $200 to blow on an electric one....at least not for the next couple of months.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

You will see much bigger gains from the LTs + ORY with a cutout than you will see from a catback with the stock mainfolds and cats.

As for volume, when the cutout is open it will be much louder with the LTs + ORY than it is right now with cats/manifolds.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lts / ory / then throw a cam in there and ur talking ear bleeding loud
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
lts / ory / then throw a cam in there and ur talking ear bleeding loud
I definitely will put an electronic cutout in before I swap cams. But for now, with a stock cam, would you say it will be ok as far as Johnny Law is concerned? I'd hate to put in the lt/ORY and have to cap the cutout for now...seems like a waste if I have to run it through the stock catback....
Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Microtech82
But for now, with a stock cam, would you say it will be ok as far as Johnny Law is concerned?
Nobody can answer that with any certainty. It all depends on the cops in your area, your driving style and the hours you drive, any other illegal items on the car that make you stand out (things like illegal window tint or missing front plate, obviously depending on your state laws), and whether or not any neighbors complain about the noise. Too many variables to say yes or no for certain.

The only thing that IS for certain is that the car will definitely be loud enough that a cop *could* write you a ticket if they wanted to. Whether they want to or not is another matter.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Nobody can answer that with any certainty. It all depends on the cops in your area, your driving style and the hours you drive, any other illegal items on the car that make you stand out (things like illegal window tint or missing front plate, obviously depending on your state laws), and whether or not any neighbors complain about the noise. Too many variables to say yes or no for certain.

The only thing that IS for certain is that the car will definitely be loud enough that a cop *could* write you a ticket if they wanted to. Whether they want to or not is another matter.
Well that pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I talked to a cop buddy of mine a while back and he said that cops generally won't bother me just for the noise. He pretty much said what you just did; if you're driving like an ***hole or they get you for some other infraction then they will tack on the added noise violation as an extra **** you. Most of my commute is freeway, but when I'm on the streets it's fairly easy to keep it at low rpms with the low a4 gears. I guess I'll give the LT/ORY the green light for now and just plan on getting and electric cutout in the near future before anything else.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LTs/ORY/ and cutout is a beast combination. Goodluck on you mods bud.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

if you go LTS/ORY and cutout it would flow alot better then the catback. 500 for lts and ory is cutting it close. and i would get a ecut out (assuming you dont have one) asap. summit brand is decent for a good price. had the same one on both my trucks and still works. it would solve ur noise problem the simplest way.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
if you go LTS/ORY and cutout it would flow alot better then the catback. 500 for lts and ory is cutting it close. and i would get a ecut out (assuming you dont have one) asap. summit brand is decent for a good price. had the same one on both my trucks and still works. it would solve ur noise problem the simplest way.
$500 is enough for me at this point. Texas Speed has some LTs for about $300 and an ORY for about $140ish. I definitely want to get an e-cutout pretty soon but funds won't have extra funds laying around for another couple of months. For now I'm just concerned about how MUCH louder the LT/ORY setup will make with my manual cutout.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
LTs/ORY/ and cutout is a beast combination. Goodluck on you mods bud.
That's what I'm excited for Just hoping that Johnny Law will leave me be for the next couple of months until I can get an e-cutout in there. Thanks buddy
Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Definitely go with the lts and ory so she can flow better
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For now I'm just concerned about how MUCH louder the LT/ORY setup will make with my manual cutout.
It will WAY louder.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Teching In

compared to what u have now , it will put a big ol smile on your face guaranteed...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are their motorcycles/Harly Davidsons popular in your area? If so...then don't worry about Jonny Law.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gates72ss
compared to what u have now , it will put a big ol smile on your face guaranteed...
awesome
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by justin hover
Are their motorcycles/Harly Davidsons popular in your area? If so...then don't worry about Jonny Law.
You know...I never even stopped to think about that. There are tons of super loud bikes always cruising around here in Albuquerque.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do all 4.. BBK LT's.ORY $36X shipped (might get it cheaper with a ls1 group discount)

That leaves you with $164 to play with in the classifieds
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know...I never even stopped to think about that. There are tons of super loud bikes always cruising around here in Albuquerque.
Then you shouldnt have a issue! lol
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
Do all 4.. BBK LT's.ORY $36X shipped (might get it cheaper with a ls1 group discount)

That leaves you with $164 to play with in the classifieds
By the blessed baby jeez-us, where in the world are you finding BBK LTs/ORY for $360 shipped??? I hope you're talking used because I would **** a brick if you know where to find a new set for less than $400 shipped...
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Neither did I....when I had my dumped duals I was worried about the blasting through town..Thats when I started paying attention to how many straight piped harlys blow through town and of course..those guys want to be heard. Then I stopped the worrys. If I ever did get pulled over I have a good scapegoat..Considering harlys are fking ear blasting loud comparbly to my setup.

Quick Reply: LT/ORY/Cutout vs Catback