Sponsored by:

Wheelspin @ 60mph?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelspin @ 60mph?

Hi guys,

Okay this may sound like a stupid question... And maybe it is but i just want to make sure that this is a normal behaviour or if i should check the car before i take it onto the road again.

I've been driving a V6 3.8 for the last 2 years as my DD. Its not the most powerful thing but it got my used to low speed wheeelspin.

Now i finally got a LS1 with some aftermarket mods and a custom tune (all done by previous ownder). Its been sitting in the garage for a few months now because there is snow everywhere (Switzerland...) and i really dont want to drive it under such conditions. But last weekend we had very nice weather and the roads were dry so i finally got to have some fun with it.

So there i was having a great time driving along @ 60mph on the highway and went for WOT (Manaual gearbox 3th gear). The engine rev'd high but the car wasnt pulling at all. I was a little shocked and immediatly went away from the throttle since i was not expecting wheelspin at this speed. So i tried again only this time in 4th... and it was the same result.

For me it felt different than the wheelspin iv got to known from my v6 in the rain and such things. But then again i never had wheelspin at this speed before. So is this a common thing or is it maybe even somthign else?

Thx for your input.
X
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would say its possibly "clutch" spin....
Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep time for a new clutch.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Teching In

Well that would have been my guess too but i have mechanical records showing that a new clutch has gone into the car less than 10k miles ago... So that cant be wrecked already again right?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

Could be, ive had one last just 900 miles before
Old 02-25-2013, 04:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XDMR
Well that would have been my guess too but i have mechanical records showing that a new clutch has gone into the car less than 10k miles ago... So that cant be wrecked already again right?
i wouldnt rely on that record... Ive rescently replaced the clutch on my 02 ls1 and the previous owner said he installed a new clutch... Your car's previous owner must have had a lead foot...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your clutch is toast. One test I always do on a test drive on a car with a manual gearbox is to get going about 50mph. Put the car in top gear, then floor it. This will put the most stress on the clutch, if its bad it will slip and cause the rpms to shoot up.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know if the master cylinder was changed?

I had the same thing in my car. Removed the clutch it has signs of wear, but loads of (meat) left on the paddle clutch. I had changed the slave cylinder at the time with the clutch.

I put in a new clutch, new slave, and new master cylinder. Pedal feels a lot different now, before it wasn't fully disengaging.

The master cylinder takes about as long as a clutch to change, if you have small hands it helps. Also if you have t-tops, you wonder why t-tops helps. Well your head goes in the foot well so you can see what you are doing, and your legs can hang out the roof.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Do you know if the master cylinder was changed?
I will check the mechanical records.

Also what is the best way to check if my clutch is slipping?
Things that iv heard to do to test:

- handbreak on, letting clutch come, see if it dies instantly -> if yes clutch is good
- 5th gear pull -> not sure what to look for here
- try to get the car rolling in 6th gear (same as 1st option)

Any other ways?

But the clutch feels good and the owner really seemd to look after his cars (he had 2 mustangs aswell). Also an important side note may be that here in switzerland these cars are very expensive and usually only people how love them get theire hands on them and treat them very well.

Thx for the input
X
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XDMR
Also what is the best way to check if my clutch is slipping?
It can be found by driving on the motorway, say 60mph and accelerate, if your revs increase but your speedo doesn't then its slipping.
You would smell it too if it gets too hot. Dint let it slip too much, as it will eventually damage the flywheel. It will get hot spots, I tried getting a flywheel reconditioned by having it CNC machined, but there was hard patched and soft, it was no good. It easier to put in a new flywheel at the same time as the new clutch.

Hope you find the cause of the problem.

Do you have parts dealers in Switzerland? I'm in the UK, and there is a parts place near to me, it may be cheaper to get your parts from the UK instead of the States, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by RedWS6 00; 02-25-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Do you have parts dealers in Switzerland? I'm in the UK, and there is a parts place near to me, it may be cheaper to get your parts from the UK instead of the States, but I'm not sure.
No we dont have any parts dealers here. I was not aware that UK had dealers will have a look into it, was searching in germany mainly but i havent found a proper site that offers alot of parts yet.

X
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are running "summer high performance" tires in
a winter climate, you can lose a lot of grip - the
Cooper Zeons, and the Goodyear GS-D3s I had before
them, both would feel like I was on grease if the air
temp was below -40F.

If your clutch is slipping the speedo will stay put
while the RPMs rise. If you're spinning they will move
together (hard for M6, soft coupled for A4).
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the cold weather affects traction alot. My car will spin the tires at 70 mph if I get on it in the cold weather. The tires get real hard when they are cold and become less effective.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

My vote would be clutch as well or something related, flywheel toast, master cylinder, etc, etc. Just curious....do you guys salt your roads over there? Between the hygroscopic properties of salt that make the roads damp and a little slippy, to when it finally drys out and leaves a little film of salt dust....it's possible that your car is just spinning. I've only had my car out a couple times this winter on dry roads, but there is a lot of salt on the roads and punching it at any speeds below 40mph results in a lot of wheel spin. From a standstill, it just spins and bounces off the rev limiter until I get off the throttle. I don't think mine would break traction very much, if any at 60mph/100kph but my car is an Automatic and completely stock. If it was modified like yours, I wouldn't be surprised if it would break traction at 60mph/100kph under the right or wrong conditions (depending on how you look at it). Good luck.

Last edited by ajwoodtransport; 02-26-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Teching In

This weekend will be no good for testing but it should get a lot warmer next week. So i guess i will go for another test run and make a video or have someone drive behind me to see what's going on.

Thx for all the input
X
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Default clutch

i had same problem, around 50 or 60 mph i would punch it and it felt like wheels would spin. didnt happen in lower gears at all. friend of mine who know alot about cars, test drove it and told me it was my clutch. replaced it and working fine now.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

If the tires are slipping then your speedo will increase with your revs, as the speedo is a measurement from the output of the transmission.
If your clutch is slipping then your revs will increase but your speedo wont, as the power is lost before the transmission.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
temp was below -40F.

+1 on this post. I have a bolt on only m6 and even in the cold I can get my tires to spin in 4th easily because the tires aren't a very soft compound.

Next time try to make it repeat itself and mind the speedometer and tach. If they both rise like jimmy mentioned, then it is nothing more than a traction issue. If the tach runs up and the speedometer doesn't move, then it's time for a new clutch.

It very well can be a clutch, even with as little as 10k on it like you mentioned. If I was you, I would look into a McLeod RXT and a tick master cylinder. Yeah they are a bit on the pricey side, but quality over quantity here because you don't want to have to do this again in the near future.

Good luck with the car and hope it's a simple issue and fix.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car is tuned and modded and running on cold pavement it sure could be wheelspin , my 6 speed car had stock wheels and tire size when I got it , full bolt on/tune car and the first time I dropped it down to 3rd to pass a car at 50 and it spun all the way to redline and left stripes in the rear view I was surprised lol.

my 273 auto car with lid and exhaust only (LT's/ory/gmmg) I kept on the road this winter 30 roll punch it and its on the rev limiter 1st and again in 2nd leaving a trail of smoke and rubber for 500 feet lol this summer on a hot day same car on a 10 roll it wouldnt spin had to beclose to a dead stop to light them up.

if it is the clutch you should be getting a terrible burnt clutch smell if not check for black marks on the tar
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
temp was below -40F.

Where the heck do you live for the air temp to be -40?

Quick Reply: Wheelspin @ 60mph?