Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker LTs + SLP LM - Cats = Terrible sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hooker LTs + SLP LM - Cats = Terrible sound

My buddy Joe's friend has this '02 WS6 that everybody talks about, it's a bolt-on only car but everybody thinks it's like god.

So I spotted the car in our work parking lot the other day, and talked to him a little about it. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about (for the most part at least, when I asked him about what he ran, he said he didn't remember... who forgets their track time?). He says that he's got Hooker longtubes, !cats, and, and a loudmouth. In the back of my head I thought, must be pretty loud, but remembered that most of you guys say that kind of setup sounds terrible. Well he started it up and pulled out, and I can honestly say it's one of the worst sounding exhausts I've ever heard on that nice of a car. Soooo much rasp. It sounded absolutely terrible... but he thinks it sounds nice. I guess some people like that?

Anyway, this was pretty pointless but thought I'd share anyway (i'm bored)
Old 04-19-2004, 08:36 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bored here too, Jon, so I tought I'd respond to the pointless post.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another one over here bored. American Choppers is on so I figured time for LS1tech. That show has gotten on my nerves.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had almost that set up (i have cats) for about two days...couldn't stand it. Even with cats its raspy as hell, I couldnt imagine without.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

i'm fixing to have the same set up as dudeman you spoke of, i'm getting a flowmaster collector for it. some say that will help out with rasp, but i sure hope even with a little bit of rasp she'll sound mean as hell
Old 04-20-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by enisguy
My buddy Joe's friend has this '02 WS6 that everybody talks about, it's a bolt-on only car but everybody thinks it's like god.

So I spotted the car in our work parking lot the other day, and talked to him a little about it. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about (for the most part at least, when I asked him about what he ran, he said he didn't remember... who forgets their track time?). He says that he's got Hooker longtubes, !cats, and, and a loudmouth. In the back of my head I thought, must be pretty loud, but remembered that most of you guys say that kind of setup sounds terrible. Well he started it up and pulled out, and I can honestly say it's one of the worst sounding exhausts I've ever heard on that nice of a car. Soooo much rasp. It sounded absolutely terrible... but he thinks it sounds nice. I guess some people like that?

Anyway, this was pretty pointless but thought I'd share anyway (i'm bored)
I agree 100%. That exact set-up sounds absolutely HORRIBLE on LS1's. Same thing when headers and no cats are hooked up to a Borla or cutout. Beyond me why anyone actually thinks that sounds good on a domestic muscle car. But then again, I don't really like the sound of catless LS1's with just about any exhaust running out the back (except true duals which are very different from a cat-back system).

Mike
Old 04-20-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mike, I'm about a month or two away from getting LT's and a GMMG chambered system. Haven't figured out which LT's yet, but thats a different issue. I was thinking of going !cats, why does that sound so bad? If its that much of an issue I'll put hiflow cats in, but I'd like to know why it sounds so horrible. TIA.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Mustang Moderator

I'm sorry guys but I just LOVE the sound of off road pipes with borla loudmouth or corsa! I've got acouple friends with these setups and it just sounds wicked when cruising around.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

I have the same setup.. except with the Rumbler.

Pacesetter LT's|ORY|Rumbler ---- I can't stand the rasp.. so I'm ditching the setup for a true dual system. True duals maybe loud but they don't have all that damn rasp.

I'm also tired of being told cats, cats, cats... I don't really think they would make that much difference.. This is a terrible sounding system from 2k-3k rpms.

The H/C swap only made it louder.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

I run a loud mouth with hooker lt and ory pipe and it dont bother me any, to me as long as it flows good i could care less about the noise. i guess its what you like.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have close to that same setup...but with SLP LT's and random tech cats!!!....I think it sounds great.....But if you are one of those guys who only rev your motor to 2500-3000 RPMs I could easily see how you could not like this setup. Yea it can be raspy at times but at WOT it's........ Insane....It sounds like rolling sex.......
Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

does anyone know how Hooker LT's, Catted-Y, SLP loudnmouth (cahnged to dynomouth or borla mouth) would perfrom and sound...which one would soudn nicer borla or dyno...which one would perform better?
Old 04-20-2004, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

I have Flowtech headers and offroad Y pipe going into a stock exhaust...sorta. There is a cutout in the I-pipe, and it's open. When I did that, I finally realized what *rasp* was. 2-3k gives me a nice dose. Previous to the headers, I did have the stock manifolds, cats, and a cutout. I thought that it sounded good. Mellow....low..and would roar when at WOT. The only when I got rasp was when I was on the bottle. I guess I describe *rasp* as a cackle. Glasspack sound.

Personally, I don't mind it. I would not mind to mellow it out a little, but for the min I have no real desire. It's good enough for me....and wicked enough for me. To each his/her own right?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

I agree 100%. I was hanging out with some car buddies at the local place and I heard this most annoying sound drive by but the car had gone by before I could see it. I asked my buddy if he saw what shitbox made that goofy sounding absolutley horrible noise. Turns out is was some guy he new with an LS1 Z28 with LT's, no cats, and Borla wide-open.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Mike, I'm about a month or two away from getting LT's and a GMMG chambered system. Haven't figured out which LT's yet, but thats a different issue. I was thinking of going !cats, why does that sound so bad? If its that much of an issue I'll put hiflow cats in, but I'd like to know why it sounds so horrible. TIA.
With out cats, most cat-back systems sound raspy, unrefined, and higher pitched on LS1's. But hey, if you want a LOUD car without much of a tone you'll love running offroad pipes (especially through a Borla, Loudmouth, or cutout).

GMMG isn't much different than those without cats IMO. A little better, but still... However, with LT headers and highflow cats, the GMMG is the best (deepest/meanest) muscle car sound I've heard yet out of any cat-back system on an LS1 (absolutely amazing sound quality throughout the entire rpm range). You'll see what I mean shorty...
Old 04-21-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree about GMMG.. sounds absolutely incredible. I want one sooo bad.