Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next mod for 01 TA Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next mod for 01 TA Help!!

I just installed the intake, lid, and smooth bellows on my 01 TA. I was lookin for anyone's opinion on the next best mod i should go with. I was lookin at SLP's loudmouth but then i was thinking preadator programmer. The difference is about 100 bucks but i dont know what to do and i cant afford both. But then you have gears, shift kits, and headers too! If anyone can help that would be great! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

You need to upgrade your exhaust. Do you plan on getting long tubes? If so, stay away from the Loudmouth and probably go with another cat-back. It's so insanely loud with headers. If you are on a budget, check out hooker and magnaflow, they are awesome flowing and sound great. If price isnt a problem, Borla and GMMG sound sweet with headers. If you dont plan on headers, Loudmouth sounds awesome on a car with stock manifolds and cats, I know mine does. GMMG sounds great on a stock car too. In conclusion, you definitely need to do exhaust! Hope this helps.

Edit: Check out www.ls1sounds.com, it may influence you.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Intake? What did you change your LS6 intake with?

I say start with a good catback and a cutout, then get headers after that
Old 04-20-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Strahley, but in reverse order. 1 headers, 2 cutout, 3 catback. Go fast before you sound like you can. Good luck
Old 04-20-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Strahley
Intake? What did you change your LS6 intake with?

I say start with a good catback and a cutout, then get headers after that
i think he meant a lid. technically part of the intake.
deffinalty get a exhuast, type depends on the plans for the car.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Im assuming your car is a A4 by what you said about a shiftkit. The #1 mod for an auto as a Torque Converter. I wish I would've done mine sooner. Headers or TC will make the biggest sotp difference probably.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Teching In

As of right now I do not have enough money for headers. I was looking for the next bang for my buck mod. I didn't switch out my intake manifold it was cold air intake and a lid is what I have. Any cheap ideas? What about switching out my gears to 3.73? What is anyone's opinions on TransGo shift kits?
Old 04-20-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
i think he meant a lid. technically part of the intake.
deffinalty get a exhuast, type depends on the plans for the car.
Dunno, he did say "intake, lid, etc" so maybe he did change the intake manifold. Or maybe he just means lid, like you say. Either way, I have no clue, not my car. But that was a good point you made. I can't see why anyone would change out their LS6 intake as one of their first mods
Old 04-20-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I say skip the Predator and just use LS1Edit

I am guessing you have an automatic car. Don't worry about gears right now, go with a torque converter. I'm a little different with a M6, but I will not be changing my gears until I put in my 12 bolt or 9" rear

Most shift kits I heard of can mess things up from what I understand? I don't know much about the autos, somebody else will have to verify this

If you mod your tranny, get a tranny cooler though

And to be honest, a gear change won't be much cheaper than headers

Intake and exhaust are one of the best things to start out with. Let your car "inhale and exhale" good, then give it more power

But don't forget about that drivetrain or suspension/chassis. All the horsepower and torque in the world won't mean a damn thing if you can't get it to the ground
Old 04-20-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

What kind of budget are you looking at? If you can't afford headers, then you won't be able to get a TC(torque converter) either. For a4 cars, a TC is the best mod out there. I'd say go with a cat-back system since you can't do the TC. Now choosing is rough....but like Smokin01TA said, knowing the plans of the car will help in making this decision.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

shift kits can mess up your tranny, and with that being said, are not worth it and for the most part, unnecessary.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

3.73 Gears, it sounds like you MIGHT want headers some day. The programmer will mostly benifit you if your driving an automatic. If you dont go will headers AT ALL, an exhaust system will make driving alot more fun plus the 18HP or so too. If headers are abolutley out, then I change my vote for exhaust. Many don't care for the loudmouth and some love it....I love it.