Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp

I recently got a 98 formula firebird and just now noticed that when parked and idling the temp gauge goes up to a little past 210 before it starts to drop. I hooked up a scanner I have and it shows the coolant temp goes up to 232 before it starts to drop. So, my question is, what temp are these cars supposed to run at? Also, why does my gauge read different than my scanner? Sorry for the stupid questions but Im a noob
Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

mine with a stock thermostat runs under 200 max during city driving(usually in the low 190's) and in the 180s when on the highway. Im reading temps through the pcm on my scan gauge.

Id check that your coolant is good and full and that your fans/thermostat are working because those temps are pretty high
Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

check for stuff blocking your radiator. a plastic bag got stuck under my car causing temps to rise when my AC was on.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mjs1012
mine with a stock thermostat runs under 200 max during city driving(usually in the low 190's) and in the 180s when on the highway. Im reading temps through the pcm on my scan gauge.

Id check that your coolant is good and full and that your fans/thermostat are working because those temps are pretty high
Slight hijack here I was wondering why you stick with stock thermostat, and are not on the 160 degree bandwagon like everyone else?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Slight hijack here I was wondering why you stick with stock thermostat, and are not on the 160 degree bandwagon like everyone else?
just never changed it out lol. even when I did my engine swap and had the water pump off, it never really crossed my mind to change out the tstat. the highest temp iv ever seen in my car was 230 and i shut it down in a parking lot because my radiator cap cracked and coolant exploded everywhere. that was a shitty experience lol

Normally my car runs below 200 fully warmed and slightly over when i drive hard in the summer.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mjs1012
just never changed it out lol. even when I did my engine swap and had the water pump off, it never really crossed my mind to change out the tstat. the highest temp iv ever seen in my car was 230 and i shut it down in a parking lot because my radiator cap cracked and coolant exploded everywhere. that was a shitty experience lol

Normally my car runs below 200 fully warmed and slightly over when i drive hard in the summer.
Thats funny. I have had my car 10 years now, and never put a 160 in either. I bought one a while back. But something sticks in my mind from way back, Its the 210 was supposed to get better gas mileage?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Thats funny. I have had my car 10 years now, and never put a 160 in either. I bought one a while back. But something sticks in my mind from way back, Its the 210 was supposed to get better gas mileage?
Yeah, you'll see worse gas mileage with a lower temp thermostat. If the car isn't tuned for the thermostat, there's really no benefit. In fact, it can be harmful on a stock engine due to the longer warm-up period when the t-stat opens at a lower temperature
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What are the conditions of where your car is at?
Mine used to run to 230s then drop in summer time. This was with stock t stat and stock fan settings. This was always the norm with my car in summer conditions.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

232°F can be a perfectly normal coolant temp with stock fan settings in hot weather with the A/C running in traffic. The dash gauge is not completely accurate, even on the '98 models (which are actually more accurate than the '99+). Stock fan settings can allow coolant temps to reach as high as 235°F before triggering the high speed fans. Stock fan settings are as follows:

Low speed on/off: 227°/218°F
High speed on/off: 235°/228°F

So as you can see, they are programmed to run rather hot from the factory.

Some people like a 160°F t-stat and a cold engine. Unless the setup is extreme/forced induction, I see no benefit to this for an LS1. Lots of info on both sides of this debate if you want to do a search. I know I've posted about it in great detail many times over the years.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Teching In

My car is completely stock as far as I know and it was around 50-60 degrees outside when I was reaching this temperature. I actually just did a coolant flush and put in a new 186 deg. thermostat. I followed the instructions on installuniversity and after bleeding the air out of the system I decided to plug in my scanner and see how the temp on the scanner compared to the temp gauge on the car. Since 210 is the middle of the gauge on the car I figured everything was good, but after seeing what the scanner said I was kind of worried.

I will check to make sure nothing is blocking the radiator and verify the fans are coming on at the right time. Do you guys think I should pull the thermostat and check to make sure it is opening at the right temp? Thanks a lot for the help so far
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by qwsxz753
My car is completely stock as far as I know and it was around 50-60 degrees outside when I was reaching this temperature. I actually just did a coolant flush and put in a new 186 deg. thermostat. I followed the instructions on installuniversity and after bleeding the air out of the system I decided to plug in my scanner and see how the temp on the scanner compared to the temp gauge on the car. Since 210 is the middle of the gauge on the car I figured everything was good, but after seeing what the scanner said I was kind of worried.

I will check to make sure nothing is blocking the radiator and verify the fans are coming on at the right time. Do you guys think I should pull the thermostat and check to make sure it is opening at the right temp? Thanks a lot for the help so far
You mentioned before that those temps were taken at idle. So it makes sense that it would get pretty hot just sitting there with the stock fan settings, although at 60°F external temp I would expect the low speed fans to be enough to maintain the coolant temps within the stock range.

T-stats only regulate a minium temp. Max temp will be regulated by cooling system capacity and airflow (or fan settings at idle/slow speeds).

Did you take any readings while driving at constant speed for some time?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Teching In

I went on a drive for about 25 minutes tonight and the temp stayed between 192-194. The outside temp was 40 deg. After the drive I let it idle and the temp went up to about 230 and the fans kicked in and cooled it to 212. So I'm thinking maybe the low speed setting might not be working. I'll have to look into how to test that out tomorrow. Thanks again for the help
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by qwsxz753
I went on a drive for about 25 minutes tonight and the temp stayed between 192-194. The outside temp was 40 deg. After the drive I let it idle and the temp went up to about 230 and the fans kicked in and cooled it to 212. So I'm thinking maybe the low speed setting might not be working. I'll have to look into how to test that out tomorrow. Thanks again for the help
Seems like everything is working just fine then. T-stat is obviously fine since those cruising temps are exactly what I would expect with the stock t-stat.

Sounds like the fans are working as well. 230° is only 3 degrees above the cut-on temp for the low speed fans, and it's not uncommon for the temp to rise a bit before airflow from the fans can bring it back down.

If it dropped all the way from 230° to 212° while sitting idle, then the fans are definitely working (and most likely at low speed since high won't engage until 235° and would shut off at 228°).

IMO everything sounds normal.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Seems kinda hot to me especially with a 180 thermostat.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by newman2ng
Seems kinda hot to me especially with a 180 thermostat.
OP said he installed a stock 186° t-stat (actually they are 86°C/187°F), which will maintain about 190-194° at the coolest during steady low-rpm cruise in cool weather. That is exactly in line with his temps.

Things are going to get hot at idle, even when it's only 40-60° outside, since there is no airflow until the fans kick on. And stock fan settings are programmed to keep the engine hot under those conditions. Stock fan settings are posted above.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Well, thanks again for all the help. I would have wasted a lot of time chasing a problem that didn't exist.

Quick Reply: Coolant temp