Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on egr tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on egr tube

The tube on my egr that goes from the egr to the intake is tight the one going from the egr to the manifold is tight at the manifold but is not tight at the egr it does not look like i can tighten it though is this normal? thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you having an issue with smog?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 AM
Teching In

no lights or anything, just noticed it was not tight just kinda a loose fit at just the one end
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Okay got the egr stuff sorted out, but now I have a new question I bought this car for my daughter it is real clean but we had to replace radiator cap because it smelled of coolant real bad, changed it out and no more coolant smell coming from cap. The overflow cap that you check level with seems to loose for me is it supposed to thread on or just push on and off real easy? She drove the car home 500 miles with no problems or leaks underneath we checked well when we got home. Yesterday we started car moved it around and this morning we have a fairly large spot of oil underneath car it looks like oil is coming down from a couple inches above starter but hard to tell. We started car let it warm up real well today and could not see anymore leaking we let it run for around 30 minutes much longer then yesterday. Car is a 2000 has 80000 miles is a A4, I just checked the cardboard we laid down after a hour it has just 2 drops of oil on it probably from what was already there, what could this be any help would be apprectiated new to the f body always have had old fox body cars before they were easier to see around under the hood.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Here is what I did to check for my leak issue.

Do this when the engine is cold.
Use a digital camera with the flash turned on.
Park car in lower light area.
Open the hood and reach with the camera under the cowl to the very back of the engine bay at the fire wall directly above the top of the block.
Take a picture of the area of the engine that jets out from the base of the intake back there.
Directly down from the cowl.
Hold the camera as still as possible until the flash is done working.
Upload the pics to photobucket and post on here.
You are looking for leaks from the cam position sensor, oil pressure sending unit, intake, or valley cover.
You may have to move some of the wiring harness out of the way a bit. Do this very gently, you don't want to break anything back there.
Look out for the little sharp points coming down from the cowl. Some plastic pins holding down some molding or something.
You may have to lean on the front support to reach all the way back there. You are looking for oil/dirt caked up like in my pics and then the shiny area. That’s where the most washout is happening.
On mine it was the CPS.
The pics will probably tell you what’s leaking, if not we will keep searching.
You may also have oil leaking from the PCV system or crank position sensor.
Warning, my pics show a bad leak so yours may not be this bad.
Also don't sue me if you hurt yourself (disclaimer).

pic of my leak

After cleaning

You may want to look into running an oil catch can. The PCV system on these cars doesn't always work the best causing pressure in the crankcase and subsequent leaks.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I forgot to mention that the intake was already off in my pics so you will have to contend with the rear of the intake if you decide to take pics. Take your time and try to get a good look.

Also, you should just start new threads as you have new issures. You will get better and more knowledge from members that way.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks taking pictures right now, well daughter is. I had ordered all the parts to do the ls6 pcv conversion and also a catch can. I noticed a burning oil smell from under hood when I ran the car hard when we got it home. This is what got me looking for leaks, the car had no spots on garage floor until this morning and only dripped three times this afternoon and now oil is dry on cardboard so not much again.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i had a oil leak from a bad VC gasket in the rear of the VC......my .02
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Well we tried taking pictures but they didnt show much, hard to take with the intake on. We pulled the inspection cover on the trans and the flywheel and torque were nice and dry no oil in there at all. If main was leaking it would have oil in there correct. We got a good mirror and checked the back we found oil in two or three places that were still wet looking in the middle behind the intake. I have ordered all pieces to do ls6 pcv conversion should i also get a oil pressure sending unit and cam sensor and replace them with the intake off. I also got valve cover gaskets and will do them also. thanks for all the help.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Teching In

I would hold off on buying parts until the intake is off and you can get a good look at everything. Then determine what parts to get.

This video helped me with the intake removal.

Make sure you use the proper sequence to torque the intake back down.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Teching In

I do not suspect your rear main is a problem.

I would not replace any of the gaskets/parts on the motor unless you know they are leaking or broken. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I feel there is too must risk with human error to just start replacing parts. You may pull a perfectly good part that is sealing well and unknowingly screw up the install leading to a new leak. If the right factory worker put your valve covers on they may never be a problem. However, if they were training someone new at the factory that day... different story. All the LS1 motors were made in the states or canada. All the truck motors were made south of the border at twice the production rate.

The PCV system upgrade is a must.
I am not familiar with the LS6 PCV setup specifically. Do they run a catch can with that setup?
I am a big believer in having a catch can. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. lol
Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I think all the oil is coming from the top also, and only during high rpm if we let car idle for 30 minutes no leaks. Weather here is awful we had snow storm 2 days ago still have snow banks everywhere so car will not come out for another month or so. I believe in catch cans also have one on my 300 srt8 and it catches some oil every oil change. the camaro will get one also.

Quick Reply: Question on egr tube