Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metco Breather Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Metco Breather Question

I'm sold on getting this to replace my oil cap to relieve pressure. My question is that enough? Do they make one to replace the trasmission fluid cap also? What is the part # and is there another place to get it besides Thunder Racing (I've looked through the other sponsors already).
Old 04-23-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The question you need to be asking is why is there more pressure in the crankcase than the PCV system can evacuate. Breather filters are not meant to relieve pressure. If they were, they would not be a filter. They are meant to filter air entering the crankcase that the PCV system is drawing out.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I just read from another post that it is reason that he got the breather. Is that PVC thingy on camaro 98-02? Should I just replace the PVC? I think I saw a write up somewhere...
Old 04-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
The question you need to be asking is why is there more pressure in the crankcase than the PCV system can evacuate. Breather filters are not meant to relieve pressure. If they were, they would not be a filter. They are meant to filter air entering the crankcase that the PCV system is drawing out.
Im sorry but you are dead wrong. Ive seen many a camaro including mine witht the breather, and pressure or air or whatever you wanna call is being evacuated out of it. The filter is to keep the damn oil particles in the vapor from getting all in your engine compartment. I think breathers are awesome by the way you pop the engine and you get a little bit of steam rumblin out of it pretty cool, but I may be a loser hahaha. Thanks
Old 04-24-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by santino04
Im sorry but you are dead wrong. Ive seen many a camaro including mine witht the breather, and pressure or air or whatever you wanna call is being evacuated out of it. The filter is to keep the damn oil particles in the vapor from getting all in your engine compartment. I think breathers are awesome by the way you pop the engine and you get a little bit of steam rumblin out of it pretty cool, but I may be a loser hahaha. Thanks
There is one part of your post that is correct.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually he is right on. Air CAN go both in and out of the filter, depending on the pressure in the crankcase, which changes with outside temp, engine temp, and RPM's. The the PCV system is going, air in entering the crankcase through the breather filter which means for cleaner air in the crankcase. Not really a necessary thing if you ask me, if you have some extra bucks its not a bad thing to have, but the money could be used for something better.

Originally Posted by santino04
Old 04-24-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, but my original question was is there just a breather for the oil cap or is there ALSO one for the tranny fluid cap?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Launching!

2xls1 is a loser, that is right! no burn intended
Old 04-25-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

So smoke coming out of your valve cover breather is a good thing and a sign of a health engine. Another one of your amazing theories, I see. I stand corrected.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
So smoke coming out of your valve cover breather is a good thing and a sign of a health engine. Another one of your amazing theories, I see. I stand corrected.
Did i say smoke I said steam..........maybe becuase of the cold weather hmmmm thats a theory!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time i saw steam coming out of my breather was when i was having a major blowby issue due the blower cracking and breaking mt ringlands on my stock pistons. The only reason im running a breather is i got rid of the stock PCV system.... and my breathers on the drivers side.........
Old 04-25-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

allot of the FI guys are having that problem! I have changed my PCV sytem twice and still have problems so I got the Metco breather and the oil in the valve covers would make it up to the filter then oil would drip on the exhaust manifold. So I used the Metco billet adapter a Moroso EVAC system where the exhaust backpressor sucks the extra air out! worked great!

Just my .02