New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn: Colonel... More noob ?'s for you!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Attn: Colonel (And Others!)... More noob ?'s for you!

Since you had all the answers the first time!

What about my intake. I have the Holley Alum. intake, not ported. Should I port it and port match the heads. (The intake ports on the heads were not ported because of the stock intake, at the time)

Throttle body? Could I get by with porting mine, or is there a distinct advantange to a larger aftermarket TB? FWIW, I have the 85 mm SLP MAF, and a MAF translator (not currently in use)

Computer? I have a laptop capable of running any program (Edit, FAST, etc). Should I go with one of those, or just have my computer Prog'd? I'd like the adjustability, but I'm kind of scared of it too. (Might get out of control!!!)

Blue Printed oil pump? Necessary, recommended, or no-go? What's your view here?

Again, I'm going from stock inches, ported heads, B1 cam, to 383 Stroker with Forged JE Flat Tops, H Beam rods, and I'm going to bump up the CR to around 11:1 so I can run pump gas.

I hate to be a bother, but I just want to do everything right!

Thanks in advance!

Taco

Last edited by Taco; 04-23-2004 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Change Title
Old 04-23-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Please please please!!!

Taco
Old 04-24-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK anybody out there got any ideas???

Thanks again!

Taco
Old 04-24-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patience Taco! Some of us are busy at nights and on weekends.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know, I know, I'm sorry. I'm just so anxious to get the ball rolling on this motor so I can get it running ASAP.

Forgive my eagerness!!!

Thanks again!

Taco
Old 04-24-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, I'm back. Answer me this. Are you hell bent and determined to keep the Holley intake? There's the cheap way of doing this (keeping that intake and porting the stock TB) and there's the best way of doing this (90mm LSX intake and a 90mm TB.) What kind of a budget are we on here?

LS1Edit and Autotap, get them, and get familiar with them. Don't be scared of Edit. You can save your original program and every derivative as you go along if you'd like and go back to any of them at any time. Nothing to be scared of. Just don't let your laptop or car battery die at any time while actually installing a program.

Ported oil pump? Not necessary but certainly not a bad idea either.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Colonel, I would really like to keep the Holley intake for budget reasons. I know the LSX is a better intake, but I just don't have the funds when I have a good intake as it is.

Edit and AutoTap, Check!

Thanks again!

Taco
Old 04-26-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

if i get a larger trotle body i need to change my intake from the one i had on before??
Old 04-28-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Taco, just got through reviewing your PM again. I'm going to respond in this thread incase it might help someone else. Questions first...

You need to decide what kind of RPMs you want to turn with this engine. This is going to be KEY in picking out both the cam and the rearend gears. If you're going to be drag racing then you need to figure out about what kind of trap speed you'll be expecting. Any chance of nitrous for this engine or will you be staying NA? What size headers?

I wouldn't spend much money porting the Holley intake. If you can do it yourself or have it done cheaply, sure go for it. If not, your money is better spent elsewhere.

A ported stock throttlebody is fine for the Holley. The inlet size of the Holley is no bigger than the butterfly of the TB so there would be no gain in going to a larger TB.

I'm no clutch expert. If I were in the market for one I'd have to do some reading in the manual tranny section of this site to get up on what's the latest and greatest.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guess you didn't need my help afterall?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could sell the intake you have, use a little cash, and then buy a FAST intake
Old 05-05-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colonel
Guess you didn't need my help afterall?
hehehe, maby he got bussy to.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, for 10 days!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

For a budget wouldnt you recommend HPTuners over Edit and Autotap? Their stuff is pretty good and getting better all the time...not to mention its half the price of edit-tap and HPTuners is a sponsor
Old 05-06-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya know, I actually haven't used one yet nor have I read what others have had to say about it but it looks like it should be a great product. I like that it combines both a scanner with an editor and still allows you to (like Autotap) scan multiple vehicles. Good price considering what it does.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry Colonel, I hadn't checked to see if you had replied to this thread, I was just waiting on a reply to my PM.

To answer your questions, I don't want to lean on it really hard RPM-wise. I'm thinking 6500, maybe 6800 tops.

BTW, my engine builder already ordered the cam, but I'm not sure of the specs on it as of right now, as it was ordered custom ground from Bullett Cams. Any opinions on thier stuff? Anybody running a Bullett Cam???

yes, this car will be seeing some track time, but not a considerable amount. When I do go to the track, I want as much as I can get out of it, so I'm willing to compromise quite a bit on streetability to achieve a little more performance on-track. I'd really like to trap as much as is reasonably possible. I'm hoping for 95+, but I'm expecting 92-94, depending on weather, track conditions, etc. Do you think this is a realistic goal?

Since I'm going with a 9" rear end, I was really looking at a gear in the 3.88-3.92 range, as this would seem like a reasonable trade off. I've had 4.10's, great at the track, lousy for daily driving. I've most recently had 3.73's, much better for daily driving, but not really spinning up like I would like at the track. I'm sure the added cubes will help that a lot though, so do you think I should stay there or step on up to the 3.88 (I think that is available for the 9")

Nitrous is a possibility for this motor, unlikely, but if I lose to the right person, definitely a possibility. Should I go wet or dry (The MOST I'd spray, even with the forged flat tops would be 175, no more)?
I know Dry is harder on parts, but this installation is so much easier (and easier to hide) that it makes it a lot harder to stay away from.

In all honesty, I'd really like to ProCharge this motor. I know the CR will be too high for that with the current setup, but in a couple of years, I may get some lower compression pistons and go that route!

I haven't even ordered headers yet. I want a true dual setup, but I want it to be quiet (Very quiet by the standards here, apparently) I'll more than likely go with a 2 1/2 H-Pipe through single chamber flowmasters and the stock cat. converters. Is this going to really slow me down? If we're talking less than 15 horsepower difference (vs. X-Pipe and Bullets, no converters) then I want to stick with what I just said, if it's gonna be more than 15 HP, then I might look at a QTEC, but even that would have to be through a muffler of some kind, open exhaust is just not an option with me.

Strahley, I really wanna stick with the Holley, we carry their stuff (Yeah, all, what is it now, 16 different lines that they own and sell now!!!) at my dad's store, so I'm kinda loyal to them. That's also why we went with a Bullett Cam, we are a dealer for them also.

I'm really looking into the HPTuners products, I like the positive feedback I'm reading about them, and they are VERY reasonably priced, compared!

Thanks again for the always helpful advice!

And yes, I did and will need your help!!!

Taco
Old 05-07-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taco
Edit and AutoTap, Check!
I'd skip those and just go hp tuners (check PCM section for info on them)

Scanner (autotap) and PCM Editor (LS1 Edit) all in 1 ... and it's not VIN locked so you can sell it if you ever sell the car