Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear mount turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile rear mount turbo?

So I have been thinking bout running a rear mount turbo system and wanted some input from you guys and any experiencs you guys have had with them. Any info is much appreciated guy
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a used STS kit and tweak a few things it's a good setup. My friend is making mid 500s with a modified STS/cam only LS1 setup
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any reason why rear mount instead of too mount? Just wondering.
STS makes top notch rear mount turbos.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never owned one but have seen the system. They seem to take up a lot of ground clearance. Also the performance on the track doesn't always match the rear wheel HP. That may have changed in the with the newer systems.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I've wondered about going with a rear mount but I got discouraged when I read some other threads. It seems like people who fab up a rear mount system seem to have a lot of issues with the oil. I don't think STS has these problems but I remember reading that people were having other issues with the systems. Those STS review threads were several years old, though, so they might have worked out the kinks since then.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always prefer a top mount, less plumbing and no need for a oil return pump etc. But a top mount will require more modification to the vehicle where as a STS kit is more of a bolt kit that can be installed onto any car without major fab work.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

i wouldnt attempt a custom rear mount imho, been there done that wasted mone : /, ive tryed 3 diff setups and changing things with my rear mount and had nothing but oiling issues, im now front mount, if u want rear id suggest getting an sts kit so u know u wont have an issue and if u do theyre there to help, i didnt have a ground clearence issue in the rear, just were the intercooler pipe came ip the front would hit once in awhile
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The biggest thing I like about rear mount is that you don't have to make turbo manifolds which, for me (someone who does not weld nor do I have the resources or friends that can) is a big deal. Also it keeps a LOT of heat out of the engine bay and your not worried about gutting A/C, powersteering, or charring wires and hoses. I've seen front mount turbo setups on LS1s that retained all accessories and its pretty cramped....

Quick Reply: rear mount turbo?