Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail order tune v. Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mail order tune v. Dyno tune

I have a 98 SS convertible A4 that is bone stock. I'm frustrated with the stock shift points and "dead spots" at certain RPMs when I put it to the floor. I have around $1000 to play with this summer and contacted New Era (local sponsor) and another shop and both are around $500 for a tune. I'm struggling with spending that much on a tune for a bone stock car that is not brought to the track, not a DD, but moreso a spirited weekend cruiser 3 months out of the year. Would a mail order tune for $150 address some of my A4 woes or should I spend the $500?

My long-term plans for the car are Pacesetter coated LT headers, catted TSP y pipe, 3600-4000 convertor, LCAs, LS6 intake, of course a tune, and some tires to utilize the power. Long-term probably means about $1500 per summer invested.

Thoughts?

Last edited by cdgreg; 05-24-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Most definitely just go with a mail order tune for now. That's just my opinion
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever tuned up the car? That could also explain the issues you are having.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It might take a little more than $1000 but I'd get headers, ORY-pipe, LS6 intake and a mail order tune all at once. I'd also get TSP's stainless headers not Pacesetters.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for a dyno tune right now, just get a good mail order and you should be set.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I'd love ORY but NY is a little strict on emissions. I fear failing inspection (and driving around illegally) repeatedly each summer until i find a shop that will look away from the lack of cats. I also have to calculate installation costs into expenses but I'm in no rush, at worst I roll it to next summer and have more than enough for a one shot deal.

@Exeodus - in the process of that now, just deleted the power steering cooler and flushed the sludge that was in the radiator and PS system. Have some new plugs, wires, and fuel filter waiting to go in.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

stay away from Mail order tunes. spend the extra money and get a real dyno tune. its worth it. and btw $500 is a lot for a tune.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Teching In

Mail order tune... Where in by do u live
Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Transmarrowbird94
Mail order tune... Where in by do u live
In Rochester, NY. Contacted New era (sponsor) they said $475 and another local place, Wilson Performance said $500. They both said the HPTuners registration is built into the first cost, future tunes will be much cheaper.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stang_kllr
stay away from Mail order tunes. spend the extra money and get a real dyno tune. its worth it. and btw $500 is a lot for a tune.
Mail orders are fine as long as he has no internal modifications or big changes such as nitrous or forced induction. It will save him a good amount of money going for a mail order tune for the time being.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 AM
12 Second Club

just go mail order tune... even with those future mods. should be around $150 at most just shop around. I found a spot out here in cali that will do it for just $100. take your time on it
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Mail order tunes imo is not a good idea. No 2 motors are exactly the same so how can you do a "1 tune works for all"? Dyno tuning is the only way you can accurately tune a motor of any kind. The only exception is street tuning when no dyno is avaliable. Now this is just from my experiance and personal opinion. I have never messed with the ls series engine but, ford, honda, cummins I have all messed with.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mail order tune from a good tuner will get you set good man.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bbfTroy
Mail order tunes imo is not a good idea. No 2 motors are exactly the same so how can you do a "1 tune works for all"? Dyno tuning is the only way you can accurately tune a motor of any kind. The only exception is street tuning when no dyno is avaliable. Now this is just from my experiance and personal opinion. I have never messed with the ls series engine but, ford, honda, cummins I have all messed with.
Mail order tunes are good when the person doing the tuning has alot of experience with it. There is people here making big power on simple mail order tunes. Its not the safest but he (the op) will be fine with just bolts on, once he gets into internal mods then thats when he should consider a street tune or a dyno tune.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your car came with a mail order tune. 1 tune for everyone, isn't that what you are trying to get away from?

Although I would disagree with a dyno tune also.

I would consider there to be 3 types of tunes...

1. Mail order - Cheapest. Can do some minor changes, get rid of ship shift, tighten shifting parameters, have the fans come on earlier... ect. But he will not know if your car is pinging, he will not know if your car is correct because hes guessing.

2. Street tune - Middle ground, but by far the best solution. With the tuner in the car with you, you are able to get all of your concerns taken care of. PLUS all of the things that the mail order tune would do. Mileage, traffic driving, etc are taken into consideration along with performance.

3. Dyno tune - Usually the most expensive, because you are paying for shop time and the dyno. A must for all built cars wanting peek performance and to be safe. But it often lacks the drivability aspect. Tuning for peek performance can often leave the car more difficult to daily drive. Things like gas mileage, idling, traffic driving are not taken into consideration. A good tuner will 'guess' in these areas... and it will be better then a mail order tune.

For built cars that are going to be daily driven, they should be street tuned and dyno tuned. Take it for what its worth, but I wouldn't do a mail order tune, unless it was my very last option.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

That ^^^ is one of the best explinations ive read in a while, very well said.

Quick Reply: Mail order tune v. Dyno tune