Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subframe connectors

Ive got an 02 trans am ws6 w automatic trans. I'm looking to get subframe connectors but which are best? Bolt or weld? And how hard is it to do trans work after installed? Also which brand is best for the price?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Founders 2 point weld on sfc. Can't beat them for the price. I think they were about $100 at the time. As far as I know, that's the cheapest available. 2 points won't be in the way of anything, I know. I can't speak for 3 points. BMR, UMI, and Founders are the three sponsors on here that most people deal with when it comes to sfc. Search for past threads on here via google or go browse the Suspension & Brakes section. There are tons of threads about sfc there. But I'll warn you, there are some in the subsection who swear up and down in favor of and opposed to sfc. I personally got them for the peace of mind, but I feel like they did stiffen the car up and got rid of some annoying groans caused by body flex.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u weld them on urself, or have a shop do it?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDEP162
did u weld them on urself, or have a shop do it?
My grandpa and I put them on. He's a better welder than I, so I just got everything ready then let him lay the welds. If you can weld pretty well, you can do it yourself on jack stands. Make sure you have the car level and suspension loaded though.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are a copy of the Kenny Browns that were on my car when I bought it.
http://www.coloradospeed.com/jm-3poi...r_of_uploads=0
They don't cause any problem with pulling the transmission out and they tuck up so close to the car I didn't even know that they were on the car when I bought it. The car feel's much tighter than the 2 Camaro's I had before it and they're sturdy enough that I use them to jack up one whole side of a car "NASCAR pit stop style".
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 AM
12 Second Club

I like those from Colorado speed, gonna find a place to weld them for me and get some
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I personally like UMI's 3 point sfcs, but any from the sponsors should be good. Even if you get a bolt on set, you can always weld them in later if you want to.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoever you get them from, get them welded and get some 3point SFCs.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

So can anyone answer the question. Will 3 point get in the way of doing trans work? And what makes welded better?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always been happy with my UMI 2pt. I've had both their boxed weld-in and their tubular bolt-in (which I'm currently running). No matter what the "experts" say in the suspension forum, at the very least they make a great jacking rail
Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Pretty sure the 3 pts connect to the tunnel brace below the driveshaft. I haven't test fit a set of 3 pts so I can't say for sure of the placement of the arms on them. But I highly doubt they would get in the way of any trans work, as a lot of R&D has gone into making them specifically for our cars. PM a sponsor about that if you wish. As for welded being better, I personally think so because there is zero chance of them moving any. Some have reported the bolt in kind can cause the bolt holes on the car to elongate, indicating that they still move a little. I'm sure not everyone has experienced this though. Much success has been had with the bolt ins. But that's the benefit to the weld in type. The downside would be that they are permanent, whereas the bolt ins could be removed if you so wished.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Some have reported the bolt in kind can cause the bolt holes on the car to elongate, indicating that they still move a little.
After nearly 10 years with bolt-on 3-points on mine (yes, they bolt to the tunnel brace having no interference with the trans), I've had no trouble with this. I used extra washers stacked in a pyramid to allow a great deal more torque to be applied without causing the washers to collapse. Additionally, you can also get them welded, though I never have.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

I would recommend the boxed variants, instead of the round tubes. I have the round type and its more prone to slip off a jack while the boxed type would be more stable when jacking up the car.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

I had SLP 3 point bolt ons on my 99 Formula, and I intend on putting a new set on my 01 SS. I never had a problem with the bolt hole elongation, they didnt get in the way of anything, stiffened the chassis, and as stated above, it provided a good jacking surface. I looked at the sfc's that some of the site sponsors sell, but still prefer the design of the SLPs. That doesnt mean that our sponsors dont sell a quality product, so make your own decision.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info, figured it out ill go with welded for sure

Quick Reply: Subframe connectors