Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker or TSP headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker or TSP headers?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this whole thread thing but I'm just looking for some opinions on which headers to get. I just got a 99 z28 with a brand new ls1 engine in it. I recently installed a SLP LM 2 exhaust and I just found out that one of my catalytic converters is bad. Instead of replacing the cat I'm looking to get some LT headers and an ORY to compliment the exhaust. I'm leaning towards the TSP 1 7/8 headers with the TSP ORY to go with it. But I've heard about installment issues with the TSP set-up. I want to stick with the stainless steel but dont want to break the bank either. Do you think this would be a good set-up? And what are your guy's opinions on hooker ceramic coated headers? If I could get some insight that would be great! Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the hooker Lts and y pipe with a loudmouth 2 since then I changed the y pipe to a tsp y pipe and I wish I would have boughten the tsp headers too so I'd say for sure you will be happier with the tsp stuff. When you get that installed you will probably wish you had a different cat back the slp loud mouth is soooo rapy, but maybe you will like that. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to order it all this weekend. I'm pretty set of the TSP headers and y pipe. Hopefully when I install them, it all goes well!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Tsp lt with catted y pipe to cut as much rasp out of the Loudmouth.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Get the ypipe welded, my tsp ypipe lasted 3months before it started leaking. Weld on exhaust flanges so you can keep it "bolt on"
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of hooker lts on one car and tsp lts on another car. The fitment on the hooker lts is much better, I had to do a lot of prying to get the tsp y pipe to stop rubbing on the floor board and over all they didn't go in as easily as the hookers did.
However I do like that they're stainless and performance wise they are the same.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I have Hooker LT's, the fitment was decent and I ended up cutting a notch in the k member to get the drivers side header in.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice and opinions, I ended up ordering the Hooker lt's with a TSP catted Y pipe. Now I just have to wait on them to come in... I'll let you know how the installation goes and how I like the set up. Once again thank you
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry for starting tjis thread back up but I figured it wasn't started too long ago. I also have an SLP LM system and I was just looking at the TSP LT's and ORY pipe. my only question is, does the ORY pipe have a reducer to go from 3" to 2 1/2"
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tonyz400
Sorry for starting tjis thread back up but I figured it wasn't started too long ago. I also have an SLP LM system and I was just looking at the TSP LT's and ORY pipe. my only question is, does the ORY pipe have a reducer to go from 3" to 2 1/2"
I'm puzzled as to what you'd need that for? The LM setup has a 3" intermediate pipe. And the TSP ORY is a 3" pipe. And TSP headers have 3" collectors. Where are you needing the reducers at?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

I have the catback on my car now but I didn't install it so I am not totally in tune with diameters of all the parts. Where does the system drop down to 2.5"? At least I have read it goes to 2.5". Hope I don't sound ignorant right now.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's actually 2.75", pretty much all 3" cat backs reduce down to mach up with stock y-pipes and most y-pipes also reduce down to match both stock most aftermarket cat backs. If it was my car I would cut the reducers off of both pieces and have a new longer reducer welded to the y-pipe to remove the restriction. Also if your car is to loud or raspy with the ORY just replace the LM resonator with a Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax, or other bullet muffler.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tonyz400
I have the catback on my car now but I didn't install it so I am not totally in tune with diameters of all the parts. Where does the system drop down to 2.5"? At least I have read it goes to 2.5". Hope I don't sound ignorant right now.
It goes to 2.5 right before the dual exhaust tips... At the end of the bullet muffler it's 3" up over the axle then goes into a splitter into two 2.5 pipes then out the tips. Also like the other guy said, if the LM setup is too loud, people swap the muffler/resonator for a Borla, Magnaflow, or Dynomax. These are often called Borlamouth, and Dynomouth. If you want to hear sounds, ls1sounds has a bunch of these setups.

Originally Posted by Fry_
It's actually 2.75", pretty much all 3" cat backs reduce down to mach up with stock y-pipes and most y-pipes also reduce down to match both stock most aftermarket cat backs. If it was my car I would cut the reducers off of both pieces and have a new longer reducer welded to the y-pipe to remove the restriction. Also if your car is to loud or raspy with the ORY just replace the LM resonator with a Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax, or other bullet muffler.
Interesting, I was just under my car the other day and didn't see those reducers. They must be there though since I have a stock y-pipe.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28
Interesting, I was just under my car the other day and didn't see those reducers. They must be there though since I have a stock y-pipe.
My cat back doesn't look like it reduces down because it's actually all 3" tubing but has a short section that is double thick to reduce it's inlet size. Others may be the same.

Quick Reply: Hooker or TSP headers?