Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, need input re:Engine prob

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New here, need input re:Engine prob

Hey I have a 2002 Firehawk M6, love it for the most part. The problem I am having is when the car is hot I get this clatter on hard acceleration like the timing went way off, punch it a few more times and it stops until the next time I start to accelerate again. If this has been addressed here before I couldn't find it using search. This has been going on for awhile now during winter and now with warm days (>70F). I have to this point refused to let anyone touch it especially Pontiac service - had an 84 T/A that every time I took it in for service it came back worse then when it went.

Anyway have about 8,500 miles - changed oil to Castrol Synthetic at 5K I don't think the problem occured before that and I don't think it is related to the oil since after the change it didn't make any noise for awhile like that irratating ticking that it has made since about a month after I took delivery. Seems like the oil pump needs to be beefier? Anyway not related to the main problem above.

Any insight would be appreciated so I don't have to take it to service hell!!!

Thanx in advance,

Zach
Old 04-30-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Well 1st make sure ur runnin 92octane or better, 2nd try runnin the car for like 5minutes at 2500rpm's, A tech at my work showed me a GM bulliten that said sometimes there is clatter caused by oil getting air bubbles in it and gets into the lifter's keeping them from being fully pumped up. Mine made a clatter from the lifters and after I did that it stopped for a little while, then I changed the Oil to a Mobile 10w-30w. and ever since then it hasnt done it since.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Teching In

If I had to make a guess and making some assumptions of using 93 gas and no mods to the intake system, motor or exhaust...Your computer controls the timing advance as you accel, could be a glitch in the computer or a feedback sensor. Doesn't sound mechanical from your description. May need to take it in to see if it has thrown a code. Are you still in warranty?? I understand your caution in taking it to the dealer, had a computer prob in wife's grand am took two dealers to find the problem. The second dealer knew their S**t. Let the big boys take a wack at it with their big money systems. Plus they have a service history on these cars to search for similar problems. You could waste a lot of time and money with trying suggestions from people having similar problems but not your exact problem. good luck..
Old 04-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Default A little more about it

Thank you for your replies, yes I have been running 92 gas haven't seen 93 but always premium, absolutley no mods.

I am confused about the oil though - hard to find an authoritative fact based view on Mobile Vs. Castrol there is a thread I was reading here that said to use Castrol as did my local Parts store who carried both. I am certain that one is better than the other but how that would affect typical engine performance or lack there of is probably negligible, i.e. I am not racing it just tooling around town and freeway speeds - actualy haven't gotten over 80 yet (though I have been extremely tempted). I know the computer controls timing etc, it would seem a likely place to check - what about a hard reset, you know disconnect the battery and start from scratch anyone done that with any noticeable change? Also was wondering since it does appear that it might be thermally related I was wondering if the Bypass mod that routes the coolant path around the throttle body would help, any thoughts?

I suppose having them hook it up to there diagnostic hardware would be appropriate under the circumstances, just hear horror stories about the 16 year olds taken it out and redlinning it or worse among other things. Gee do I sound paranoid? Anyway thanks again for feed back I wish I could describe it better it just sounds like one of those piece of s--t cars going up hill clatter clatter.

Zach