Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start to add horse power

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start to add horse power

Hey I have a 2002 ss m6 with everything stock except the slp loudmouth cat back exhaust and a strut bar. I'm looking to add power cheap as possible for now. Where do I start. And If you could tell what the hp gains are on what you suggest that would be cool. Thanks guys. On a side note I don't know much about cars when it comes to engine work
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Launching!

Lid-3-5hp 100 bucks new
Ported throttle body 3-7hp 70-100 bucks

What's cheap to you? Bassicly people tend to say lid, ported throttle body, long tube headers, off road y, a catback, and underdrive pulley. You already have a ls6 intake on your car. The loudmouth will sound like crap behind headers and an off road y pipe. I believe getting a catted y pipe helps that.

Also do a search and just read around. Tons of topics on basic first time mods. Also look up free mods. People on here tend to be helpful especially if you do some of the research yourself. Welcome to the fold.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Check the stickies: So you wanna be fast...

There's all kinds of fantastic information available on these forums. Start with the external engine modifications (bolt-ons) and move on in. It also depends on where you live...if you're in California, it may be difficult for you to make the same modifications as I can make here in Arizona.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Launching!

A skip shift eliminator is a great addition for an M6. Being forced to go from 1st to 4th is a PITA. Maybe $25 from one of the sponsors. A short throw shifter will make the car much nicer to drive. The stock shifter is very iffy to me, I love my MGW short throw.

Your power steering cooler is a disaster waiting to happen. They are known for failing and contaminating the cooling system and the power steering fluid. You can bypass the cooler if you don't do much 'spirited' driving or install an air cooled one in front of the radiator. Maybe $100 if you get fancy.

Maybe some lower control arms to reduce wheel hop, I think they average $100 a pair?

Pair of drag radials for ~$400 will make the car hook a lot better, making the car use the power it has now much better.

What I am getting at, is many of the supporting mods could be done fairly reasonably and they will make the car much more fun to drive.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

The sky is the limit for ls cars they respond great to bolt ons. When I got my 00 Z28 it just had the slp loudmout. I put the slp lid and a e bay smooth bellow I got for 25 bucks New!! Just as nice as my buddy's SLP bellow he was pissed. And it loved it. Can't wait for more!! Lol the p&p TB make me a little nervous for all the more you'll get I've seen 2 bad experiences with them so for now I'm staying away from that.

Good luck bud congrats on the new ride!!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't reccomend drag radials on a stock rear with a m6 car

Mgw shifter is very good. Love mine.

Power is great...doesn't mean much if you can't get it to the ground.

Ported tb will def get you better throttle response that's for sure.

Good plugs and wires helps too
Old 08-31-2013, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Get the budget simple mods first lid,p/p tb, tb coolant bypass etc
Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

an exhaust cutout is a cheap upgrade if you dont mind a lot of noise.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:40 AM
Teching In

How much money do you want to spend and we can tell you what to get. Also do you road race or quarter mile race? Or do you just daily drive the car. It all depends on how deep your pockets are and your goals for that car. If you want to spend a few grand do all bolt ons.. Intake, headers, exhaust, under driven pulleys, intake manifold, throttle body, get a nice big cam or better yet get a cam kit from a sponsor that will supply the pushrods springs and retainers and get a tune.. Like i said. What's your budget because that's where it all depends. Going fast costs money , if you want cheap then start looking at the for sale section here on the website and find some nice used stuff for cheap.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont forget most important mod, maintance lol. Before you do anything, make sure your car is ready to take more power. Change all fluids/plugs/wires and make sure your car is running 100%
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Teching In

My first mod was the slp lid, k&n filter, and smooth bellow. I also cut the factory air box so it would suck air from the bottom as well. Throttle body by pass is another one I did. I also like my diablo predator handheld i picked up. It let me turn off torque managment(auto thing) and let me set my rim size and tire size so my speedo would be right with the new wheels and tires.Drag radials of coarse was the best mod I have done, but i have an automatic so it's not as hard on the rear end. I also cut the cats off and put in o2 simulators. We don't have emissions tests in my state. These are all fairly cheep mods.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:44 PM

Lid, Cam Intake Exhaust, then get a tune. That's the first steps i'm taking! Gratz on the new ride.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Dont forget most important mod, maintance lol. Before you do anything, make sure your car is ready to take more power. Change all fluids/plugs/wires and make sure your car is running 100%
^^^^^^^

this guy knows something. go with maintenance first.

Quick Reply: Where to start to add horse power