New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99' Camaro 383 Stroker Pre-requesites.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' Camaro 383 Stroker Pre-requesites.

Bought my 99' Camaro (auto) 2 months ago and it's been running beautifully. I absolutely love it and have wanted to make some changes to it. Drastic changes.

I had been perusing google typing in "1999 Camaro 383 stroker kit" and any combination/variation of those words looking for any information about it. But could only find youtube videos and bits and pieces of info.

To be honest, I wanted to know what changes had to be made to my camaro prior to the rebuild. Suspension, brakes, sway bars?...transmission...

I wouldn't want "Gertrude" as I've come to call her getting hurt because of my impatience/ignorance.

I'd still like the car as a daily driver!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats your power goal for the car ? Are you looking to stay N/A, forced induction, go gas, ect ???
Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

400-450 to the rear. N/A would be preferable. Just trying to get an idea of how much something like that cost.

Last edited by NG_LT1; 08-27-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NG_LT1
Bought my 99' Camaro (auto) 2 months ago and it's been running beautifully. I absolutely love it and have wanted to make some changes to it. Drastic changes.

I had been perusing google typing in "1999 Camaro 383 stroker kit" and any combination/variation of those words looking for any information about it. But could only find youtube videos and bits and pieces of info.

To be honest, I wanted to know what changes had to be made to my camaro prior to the rebuild. Suspension, brakes, sway bars?...transmission...

I wouldn't want "Gertrude" as I've come to call her getting hurt because of my impatience/ignorance.

I'd still like the car as a daily driver!
400-450 to the rear. N/A would be preferable. Just trying to get an idea of how much something like that cost.
Why a 383 build, any particular reason?
You can do 400-450RWHP on stock cubes if you want.
As far as changes, you don't "need" anything. You can search for weak points on here. The stock 10 bolt rear end for example can break with stock power/torque with good traction or wheel hop. The stock auto transmissions are not too strong either. If you are serious about drag racing you may want to look into replacing the stock torque arm as well, as those can certainly break with some power. Nothing else should break at those power levels.
As far as making the power, check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For those power goals I would do a higher stall converter, sub frame connectors, heads, cam, intake,and exhaust... Start saving for a rear end.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 PM
KT2
Teching In

i would expect about 4500 if u bought everything new and did some work yourself.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can make 450+ hp/tq with a mild ls383 .check Texas Speed for rotating assemblies .you will need a,HD rear end ,under $2000 used . a rebuilt level 5 tranny $2000+. a good torque arm is $350.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

If that's all the power you wanna make don't waste ur money on a stroker ....a 6.0 if anything IMO
Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by conan
For those power goals I would do a higher stall converter, sub frame connectors, heads, cam, intake,and exhaust... Start saving for a rear end.
I was looking around for a rear end and was curious what would be a good investment if I ever decided going above the listed HP I mentioned?

skimmed some info regaring the moser 12bolt and 9". Not sure what to choose.
Oh, and I've been saving up for the past 10 years for a project that would be worth it, I think the camaro is worth it.

Last edited by NG_LT1; 08-29-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was looking around for a rear end and was curious what would be a good investment if I ever decided going above the listed HP I mentioned?

skimmed some info regaring the moser 12bolt and 9". Not sure what to choose.
Oh, and I've been saving up for the past 10 years for a project that would be worth it, I think the camaro is worth it.
Dont skim things anymore, especially if you are going to drop some big money for something like a rear end. They have their benefits (strength) and downsides (like more unsprung weight = poor handling).
Read up, decide exactly what you want to do with your car (just street, street/strip, just strip, street/handling, just road course car etc etc). These setups can be vastly different (polar opposite really).

Quick Reply: 99' Camaro 383 Stroker Pre-requesites.