Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a/c question

My a/c compressor on my car locked up before i bought it (5 months ago) its starting to get hot now, and with a black car its getting unpleasent. i talked with a local guy and he said i'd have to replace some valve thing and somthing else, along with a new compressor. he said reason being with the compressor locking up, that put junk in my system. i stil have plenty coolant in it and will until i decide to take the compressor out, or fix the problem. what all do you guys think i'll need to repair the problem? also is this something i could get away with doing myself, or will i have to go to some $$ a/c repair guy? thanks, Jim
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

well its probably a good idea to have an evacuator. thank god R134 is cheap.

you do realize the summer is not the best $$/hr time to repair your a/c right?

wait for winter lol, or get some 6 packs and buds to come over. Believe it or not some folks have evacuators etc laying around..

any used parts you do buy, remember they must have been stored properly. IE compressor not capped off = probably a bad idea, so find someone ripping off their a/c so its nice and fresh. or get one at autozone or some place with a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking at the screen on the orifice tube will tell you how much junk the bad compressor put in the system. It should stop the junk from going further downstream in the system. You should always change the accumulator and orifice tube when you change a compressor.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Banned

Well to do any work with refigerant you have to be EPA section 609 certifed.

And to be honest you are best to take your car to a professional, cause its gonna cost the same either way. For some compressor manufactures you have to replace pretty much from the condenser to the evaporator and everything in between which isn't possible lot of $$$.

What your going to need replacment of is a compressor orifice tube and accumulator. I'd try and find an AC expert as their are now closed loop flushing machines that dump all the metal crap in the accumulator insead of having to flush the lines individually, you can't flush the compressor. So once the system is flushed and replacing these parts your good as new.