New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting Throttle Body (On Mill)

Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Porting Throttle Body (On Mill)

Hello,

I just wanted to get some questions answered before I make a complete fool of myself,

- Whats the science behind porting the throttle body on the stock LS1 engine?

- Does a straight bore increase the throttle response opposed to a tapered bore (possibly creating a venturi effect) ? Or does it really matter?

- Also, when porting I'm assuming you stop before the butterfly opening, or atleast blend just before you get near it to create a smooth surface?

- Any specific math that I should know? I'd be referring to the mills head tilt in degrees and how many thousandths that are safe to remove without turning my TB into sheet metal.

A nutshell of what I had planned:

My steps will be to measure the TB opening size and use an edge finder to find the dead center of the TB. Tilt the mills head to # of degrees (if a bored taper matters) and use a rotary table to turn the TB in a circle while I take off however many thousandths are safe for wall thickness. For this I'll be using a two flute HS cutter. Do a final cleanup cut and a finish cut. Then get mothers aluminum polish and work it deep until it's smooth. Stand back and admire my work, then mount it back on the camaro (if all goes well).

I'll be sure to make a video and post back for a followup so you guys can laugh at me.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did mine on a lathe just cut the hump out.
ground the throttle stop and polished.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically just want to taper the inlet like a fuel and make sure its smooth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porting Throttle Body (On Mill)