New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipe question.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-pipe question.

I was wondering if a Y-pipe is restrictive for an LS1 with around 400hp to the crank? That's around the hp I want in my camaro. I was thinking about going with a bigger y-pipe. I know true duals is the way to go but I heard true duals can be a pain to get over the axle like the y-pipe from the factory is. Would rather not have to the pipes go under the axle because I plan to lower my car as well. Appreciate any tips.

Blake
Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good flowing Y-pipe won't be a restriction. The rounder the pipe, the better.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
A good flowing Y-pipe won't be a restriction. The rounder the pipe, the better.
Okay good. My plan was to have my friend make some pipe for me. Was thinking of getting a bigger exhaust to help with flow when I buy a set of headers. Unless the stock y-pipe will have good enough flow for the headers?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One doesn't reuse the factory y-pipe for any performance function -- plus you can't use the factory y-pipe with headers. Get yourself a TSP or Speed Engineering y-pipe that has the nice merge and mandrel bends.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Long tube headers with a 3" y pipe to flowmaster y with either 3.5 or 4" single all the way back is the best in my opinion. Have the y and exhaust made at the local exhaust shop and it will fit better than an off the shelf one usually.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonspeed
O Get yourself a TSP or Speed Engineering y-pipe that has the nice merge and mandrel bends.
X2, I see allot of people either have Y pipes made at regular exhaust shop or they make their own and they never have a good merge or mandrel bends. Its worth the money to buy a quality piece.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the tips guys. So I should avoid just getting off brand piping? Is it possible to get a good exhaust setup for a little over $1000?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres nothing wrong with regular mild steel exhaust tubing. I think a nice merge collector on the y pipe and with 4" tubing in the single section has the most function for a low price. You could buy headers and have the rest made all for under 1000.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
I was wondering if a Y-pipe is restrictive for an LS1 with around 400hp to the crank? That's around the hp I want in my camaro. I was thinking about going with a bigger y-pipe. I know true duals is the way to go but I heard true duals can be a pain to get over the axle like the y-pipe from the factory is. Would rather not have to the pipes go under the axle because I plan to lower my car as well. Appreciate any tips.

Blake
Well, 400 hp at the crank is only around 340 rwhp.
So a Y-pipe with 2.5" inlets and a 3" y-merger outlet is fine, just make it has a good merger on it.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For 340 whp don't even bother with long tube tube headers. Do a cheatr like cam. What year is your camaro? If you have an earlier camaro there is a restriction in the factory y pipe that is easily seen and can be cut out fixed. All you need for 340 whp is a straight through catback or cutout, lid, underdrive crank pulley,cheatr like cam and tune. The factory heads, exhaust manifolds with cats and even ls1 intake should be fine for that.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

This should get you there:

Go with a SLP lid, ported TB w/coolant tube bypass, LS6 or BBK intake manifold, powerbond 25% UD crank pulley, BBK headers and Y-pipe, and a cat-back exhaust of your choice (NO Flowmaster), finally have the car tuned.
You could go with 1-7/8" headers and a FAST intake manifold, but that'll cost you probably 1k more.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
For 340 whp don't even bother with long tube tube headers. Do a cheatr like cam. What year is your camaro? If you have an earlier camaro there is a restriction in the factory y pipe that is easily seen and can be cut out fixed. All you need for 340 whp is a straight through catback or cutout, lid, underdrive crank pulley,cheatr like cam and tune. The factory heads, exhaust manifolds with cats and even ls1 intake should be fine for that.
My camaro is a 2000. It has the SLP Lid option on it already. I definitly getting a tune because the car has been knocking at high rpm. I always use 93 oct and even add oct booster, but I'm hoping new spark plugs and a tune should fix it. And yeah I've read, the ls1 intake breathes pretty well intill a little bit above 400hp, idk whether this is true or not. I also had a question about the catalytic converter, where I live there is emissions, do I have to upgrade that?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
This should get you there:

Go with a SLP lid, ported TB w/coolant tube bypass, LS6 or BBK intake manifold, powerbond 25% UD crank pulley, BBK headers and Y-pipe, and a cat-back exhaust of your choice (NO Flowmaster), finally have the car tuned.
You could go with 1-7/8" headers and a FAST intake manifold, but that'll cost you probably 1k more.
Lid is already on the car, and the coolant bypass is the free mod right? I also heard that the LS1 intake is actually quite capable of handling 400hp or more and that upgrading to a bbk or ls6 is slightly overkill till you hit higher hp ranges, because I was thinking about putting an intake on the car but I read that on a forum somewhere. Is this true? I also am planning on getting a tune from frost, since it seems everyone recommends him.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have emissions you need to be smart about the mods and stay stealth. The mods I recommended in my previous post will stay emissions legal and stealth and get you to where you want. Get a tune after the cam so you only do it once.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

So Blazekillerace, what does your emissions test consist off?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So Blazekillerace, what does your emissions test consist off?
Sounds dumb, but I have no idea. My father takes my cars to his friend to get inspected. He also does my vettes inspections as well. From what my father told me it would flunk if I started modding, he said he hooks it to a computer. I'll have to check in on that.

My camaro actually flunked because of tinted side windows. He asked to have them rolled down so I'd pass.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
If you have emissions you need to be smart about the mods and stay stealth. The mods I recommended in my previous post will stay emissions legal and stealth and get you to where you want. Get a tune after the cam so you only do it once.
How much would you think a shop charge me for a cam installation? Because I know nothing about the ls1 engine's design. What cam would you recommend?
Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd highly recommend doing the cam swap yourself if your mechanically inclined to do so. I'd hate to think what a shop would charge to do it for you.

When i did my first cam swap, i pulled up a write-up on how to do it, took my laptop out to the garage, and followed it step by step and it turned out perfect. so even if your not experienced, it can still be done!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by USMC5811
i'd highly recommend doing the cam swap yourself if your mechanically inclined to do so. I'd hate to think what a shop would charge to do it for you.

When i did my first cam swap, i pulled up a write-up on how to do it, took my laptop out to the garage, and followed it step by step and it turned out perfect. so even if your not experienced, it can still be done!
Really? I'll have to give that a try. I have experience with sbc's more than the lsx series engines. Kinda weird considering my younger age. but if it is a similar process to a sbc, I'll give it a shot. I thought these engines would be complicated lol.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thunder Racing which is out of business made 3 different cheatr cams. You can look up the specs on google and just order it as a custom cam with the specs or lots of sponsors have their own version of what should be used with stock manifolds, cats and stay emissions legal. The intake duration should have 219 intake duration or less with a decent split and on the more technical side a valve overlap of around -5 to -8 and IVC around 42. Shops likes Texas-speed sell a package where you can order everything you need to swap the cam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Y-pipe question.