New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spend my money! "Best" way to get to 400-450 HP? '01 WS6 A4.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spend my money! "Best" way to get to 400-450 HP? '01 WS6 A4.

Greetings folks. This winter I want to take the TA to the next level, namely 400-450 HP. I know my goal, but I don't not know the "best" way to get there. I have considered turbo, bolt-on's with a cam, but I just can't nail down a strategy. I am basically looking for a nice performing, street-able car capable of daily driving with plenty of power on demand.

Critical info: car is a '01 WS6 A4, 78K miles. Current mods in sig, but they consist of a lid, CB and Frost tune along with suspension. Now, in my heart of hearts I would like to keep it naturally aspirated, but I know to get to that HP it will cost me more $$$. Also keep in mind that I will be having a shop (not yet chosen) to do the install, as my skill set is not good enough to do a total tear down/install. At the moment I'm thinking Speed Inc., primarily because of their reputation and because they are close. Money isn't a huge deal, I can just hold off for a bit more time if the cost exceeds my expectations. Right now I'm thinking around $4K is what I am comfortable with, but its not nailed down. Oh, if it matters, we have plenty of 93 octane in the area, and no emissions concerns (hopefully it stays that way!)

So what say you Tech? What would you do in my shoes? Thanks in advances for your tips/advice!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Furious1
Greetings folks. This winter I want to take the TA to the next level, namely 400-450 HP. I know my goal, but I don't not know the "best" way to get there. I have considered turbo, bolt-on's with a cam, but I just can't nail down a strategy. I am basically looking for a nice performing, street-able car capable of daily driving with plenty of power on demand.

Critical info: car is a '01 WS6 A4, 78K miles. Current mods in sig, but they consist of a lid, CB and Frost tune along with suspension. Now, in my heart of hearts I would like to keep it naturally aspirated, but I know to get to that HP it will cost me more $$$. Also keep in mind that I will be having a shop (not yet chosen) to do the install, as my skill set is not good enough to do a total tear down/install. At the moment I'm thinking Speed Inc., primarily because of their reputation and because they are close. Money isn't a huge deal, I can just hold off for a bit more time if the cost exceeds my expectations. Right now I'm thinking around $4K is what I am comfortable with, but its not nailed down. Oh, if it matters, we have plenty of 93 octane in the area, and no emissions concerns (hopefully it stays that way!)

So what say you Tech? What would you do in my shoes? Thanks in advances for your tips/advice!
$4k in parts or parts/install/tune? First off start with a nice pair of headers and y-pipe. I like Kooks and ARH. AI H/C package would set you back around $2200 if you source a set of 243s to send in. Add a FAST 92 and TB and your looking at another $1200ish. I would think this combo would get you around 420-430 rwhp with an A4 but your talking around $4500 parts alone.
edit: that number is only including the big items too, gotta factor the little things you will need as well.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...adsCamKits.php

Last edited by mac62989; 10-13-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. Yes, that's what I was afraid of, and why I was considering going the turbo route (one of the reasons why I have not bought headers yet.) Still, I could work with this. What would you consider to be the best item in your list to save for last if I were to this in stages?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Youll need a beefed up tranny, new rearend, tq converter etc!!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Not planning on racing at all, so hopefully those components will hold up. Was planning on getting a TC.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Yes, that's what I was afraid of, and why I was considering going the turbo route (one of the reasons why I have not bought headers yet.) Still, I could work with this. What would you consider to be the best item in your list to save for last if I were to this in stages?
If you're not doing the install yourself check out Speed Inc. They have some really good specials going on right now for cam installs as well as TC installs. With a nice cam you can hit 400 plus rwhp!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Hopefully they do! I would atleast get a shift kit. Theyre $200 can be installed when they put the tq converter in. Thats what im doing next. Circle D 3200 stall, trans go shift kit.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Teching In

02 WS6 Trans Am and used it to develop our LS1 X-Package. With nothing more than our engineered combination of external bolt-ons and plenty of dyno tuning the car made 400.7 rwhp and 401.6 rwtq. This is the first and only bolt-ons only LS1 in the world to get to 400 rwhp. We call this engineered combination of bolt-ons the X package. To learn more about this LS1 world record check out the X-Package page

www.speedengineeringanddyno.com

found this online to help you, but I bet this guy is pricey$. good luck!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

If you plan on going H/C 1)headers, 2) H/C and save the intake and TB for last for a later time if you want more power.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some ported 5.3 heads ,with a ls6 intake ,and a torquer v2 should make 420 hp.you will need a after market stall converter .
Old 10-14-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
If you're not doing the install yourself check out Speed Inc. They have some really good specials going on right now for cam installs as well as TC installs. With a nice cam you can hit 400 plus rwhp!
Yes- I was looking at using them anyway since they are relatively close. I noticed those specials, unfortunately I am just not quite ready cash wise to do it, hopefully I can get a similar deal in the winter/early spring.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmart
02 WS6 Trans Am and used it to develop our LS1 X-Package. With nothing more than our engineered combination of external bolt-ons and plenty of dyno tuning the car made 400.7 rwhp and 401.6 rwtq. This is the first and only bolt-ons only LS1 in the world to get to 400 rwhp. We call this engineered combination of bolt-ons the X package. To learn more about this LS1 world record check out the X-Package page

What?!? A bolt on 400rwhp A4? Their dyno #'s seem inflated on all packages.

To the OP, for a pure street car and fun factor, I'd go with the On3 kit that keeps A/C. Keep it low boost until you can build the tranny. That kit plus a good verter will outrun every H/C/I car, and will cost less. Plus you and a knowledgeable buddy can bolt it on. Then all you have to do is pay Speed inc for the verter install and tune
Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jenson

To the OP, for a pure street car and fun factor, I'd go with the On3 kit that keeps A/C. Keep it low boost until you can build the tranny. That kit plus a good verter will outrun every H/C/I car, and will cost less. Plus you and a knowledgeable buddy can bolt it on. Then all you have to do is pay Speed inc for the verter install and tune
I'd be interested to see a parts list on this. I looked at their website and it doesn't tell me whats in the X package.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jenson

Thanks. That was the turbo kit I was looking at...
Old 10-14-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmart

If it's the first and only I guess that means they've never been able to replicate it on a customers car... I wonder why?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks. That was the turbo kit I was looking at...
you could possibly pick up a 5.3 and sell the ls1 to make a little extra cash to fund a turbo build.

Otherwise a decent cam and converter would make for a fun ride and around 400rwhp. Then once you get some more cash together you could put a set of heads.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks everyone for the responses. The more I think about it, the more I like the sound of a H/C setup.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

H/C and $4K = AFR230's, get them mamofied (hand ported by Tony himself) and let him spec the cam for you. But honestly that'd be more than $4K. To stay under $4K I'd go with a set of AI 241HC's, 23x/23x cam, TSP 1-7/8 headers, and a good SD tune. You should be able to afford a FAST 102 setup if you'd like, chrs1313 ram air, and an underdrive pulley even.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Matt, what's going on? I saw this and figured I'd throw in my two cents. Don't get me wrong, I love my heads/cam setup. It really woke the car up and it makes a ton of power, but there really isn't a whole lot of "room to grow". Yeah, I can get an intake and TB setup and push out some more power, but in order to really step it up, I'd need to toss on a Nitrous kit on the existing setup or build a big *** stroker. If you think you're always going to be satisfied with a heads/cam/intake setup, then go for it. But, if you're like me, and a lot of others on here, the power bug bites and you're left wanting more. Most then step up to a turbo build. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just done a tubo build from the beginning. I've been looking at some of the kits and the On3Performance kit looks good, but there are not a lot of results or feedback on it. The price is the most appealing aspect of it for sure. Plus, you could always opt for the kit, minus the turbo, and put on a better turbo that will allow you to make more power. If you decide to keep it N/A, you're going to need headers for sure, plus all the other stuff like heads, cam, all the valve train components, etc. That stuff adds up quick and in all honesty, you could do a turbo build for less. Either way you go, good luck. Best advice I can give you is really think it over and make 100% sure it's what you want to do.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Ill add something to what Rise said, if you have the chance take a ride in a H/C car and boosted car and see what you like.

Quick Reply: Spend my money! "Best" way to get to 400-450 HP? '01 WS6 A4.