Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some upgrade help

Well, I am currently deployed with the US Army, and have been quietly building a list of mods to make to my car with some of the money I've saved up when I get back. Basically, what I've got as of now is....

1) steel braided brake lines
2) slotted rotors/better pads
3)poly bushings (just read a thread on here though that poly is only good for some suspension parts, so will probably rethink this one)
4)strut tower brace
5) upgrade shocks
6)march power and amp pulley system
7) cold air kit (could change this one as well, I'm aware of the argument as to any benefits from cold air systems)

Basically, I've chosen these upgrades after a little research into semi-cheap upgrades I can make to improve my handling, ride and to a lesser extent, power. My main question is, are these good places to start or are some of these not worth the time/money, or just simply not good upgrades? Thanks for input!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by macattack0821
1) steel braided brake lines
2) slotted rotors/better pads
3)poly bushings (just read a thread on here though that poly is only good for some suspension parts, so will probably rethink this one)
4)strut tower brace
5) upgrade shocks
6)march power and amp pulley system
7) cold air kit (could change this one as well, I'm aware of the argument as to any benefits from cold air systems)
1) I wouldn't replace brake lines for a street car, unless it actually needed new brake lines anyway.

2) This one is fine, you'll notice some improvement from this. But most "better pads" will also produce more dust, so that's just something to keep in mind.

3) Like you mentioned, it depends on what bushings you intend to replace and why. Some of the poly stuff is nice, while some isn't going to do much in a mild street application, other than make things more harsh.

4) This is more of an appearance thing. They don't do much for these cars. You're better off getting SFCs first.

5) This will be a big improvement. Well worth it if you're looking for better handling and ride quality.

6) You could do the smaller crank pulley, lots of people do. Some see results from it, other's don't see much at all. Having an A4, your idle speed is already lower than the M6 cars (550rpm in gear, vs. 800rpm for an M6), so if you slow the alternator down with both a smaller crank pulley and a larger alternator pulley, you'll probably notice some charging issues at idle. It won't be as bad if you do only the crank pulley.

7) I assume you're referring to what is usually marketed as a "ram air" kit for these cars? Some people have seen results from these, but don't expect any huge improvement.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
1) I wouldn't replace brake lines for a street car, unless it actually needed new brake lines anyway.

2) This one is fine, you'll notice some improvement from this. But most "better pads" will also produce more dust, so that's just something to keep in mind.

3) Like you mentioned, it depends on what bushings you intend to replace and why. Some of the poly stuff is nice, while some isn't going to do much in a mild street application, other than make things more harsh.

4) This is more of an appearance thing. They don't do much for these cars. You're better off getting SFCs first.

5) This will be a big improvement. Well worth it if you're looking for better handling and ride quality.

6) You could do the smaller crank pulley, lots of people do. Some see results from it, other's don't see much at all. Having an A4, your idle speed is already lower than the M6 cars (550rpm in gear, vs. 800rpm for an M6), so if you slow the alternator down with both a smaller crank pulley and a larger alternator pulley, you'll probably notice some charging issues at idle. It won't be as bad if you do only the crank pulley.

7) I assume you're referring to what is usually marketed as a "ram air" kit for these cars? Some people have seen results from these, but don't expect any huge improvement.
Thanks for the detailed response. The brake lines are gone now, frees up money for other parts haha.

My biggest thing was the bushings. When I put new pads/rotors on the front before I deployed, my buddy noticed that my tie rod end bushing (not sure if this is the technical name, I'm not the most mechanically inclined) was pretty degraded. He suggested getting poly bushings all around, and I took the idea at face value and started to research it tonight. However, as I stated I found a thread on here detailing how poly bushings aren't really the best for a good number of suspension parts. If it was your car, what would you put the poly bushings on?

P.S. What are SFC's? Like I said I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy....I know a little, but some stuff still escapes me
Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P.S. What are SFC's? Like I said I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy....I know a little, but some stuff still escapes me
Sub frame connectors. I'd get weld in 3 point ones but some people think bolt in ones are good enough. My car came with some that are nearly identical to these and I'm happy with them and there price is hard to beat.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...me-connectors/

If you talking about a K&N type cold air kit I'd forget it. Get a SLP lid and a SSRA or Chris 1313 ram air kit these are proven effective parts.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...p-air-box-lid/
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...-with-out-a-c/
http://www.speedinc.com/shop-by-vehi...3-ram-air.html
Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
Sub frame connectors. I'd get weld in 3 point ones but some people think bolt in ones are good enough. My car came with some that are nearly identical to these and I'm happy with them and there price is hard to beat.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...me-connectors/

If you talking about a K&N type cold air kit I'd forget it. Get a SLP lid and a SSRA or Chris 1313 ram air kit these are proven effective parts.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...p-air-box-lid/
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...-with-out-a-c/
http://www.speedinc.com/shop-by-vehi...3-ram-air.html
Sub frame connectors, should have reasoned that out on my own haha. I've been looking on SLP.com just to shop around, and found...

http://www.slponline.com/product/708...s-Weld-On.html (weld on sub frame connectors)

http://www.slponline.com/product/700...k-Package.html (bilstein shocks)

http://www.slponline.com/product/700...g-Package.html (eibach springs)

Bilstein shocks I've been hearing of since I started getting into cars, same with Eibach springs. I equate these products with quality, so I feel like these three items I listed are where I'm going to start. I know that the price might be a little high, just being sold through SLP, but I figured this was a good place to start.

When doing the shocks/springs, are there any other components/parts that I would need to upgrade as well, in order to get the most out of those upgrades?

*Edit* - The weld on SFC's from the ws6store are much cheaper than the ones from SLP, will definitely go with that setup, thanks for the link!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to jack the thread, but is it worth getting weld-on SFC's if you already have ones that are bolted on?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Not to jack the thread, but is it worth getting weld-on SFC's if you already have ones that are bolted on?
No, just have the current ones welded on.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

My biggest thing was the bushings. When I put new pads/rotors on the front before I deployed, my buddy noticed that my tie rod end bushing (not sure if this is the technical name, I'm not the most mechanically inclined) was pretty degraded. He suggested getting poly bushings all around, and I took the idea at face value and started to research it tonight. However, as I stated I found a thread on here detailing how poly bushings aren't really the best for a good number of suspension parts. If it was your car, what would you put the poly bushings on?
Sounds like your friend may have been talking about the sway bar end links.

Poly bushings tend to be noisey (squeaks) when used at pivot points, such as lower control arms. Grease will help with this, but usually you can still hear them a bit in cold weather. Ride quality is also made a bit more harsh. Having said that, I have used them in the common areas (LCAs, PHB) in the past, but currently don't have any on my two F-bodies.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Like mentioned above, just get them welded if you want. Welded plus bolted will be a better bond than simply welded or bolted alone.

Some bolt-on SFCs are better than others, depending on how/where they bolt on.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've read negative things about eibach a few times before but every seams to love Strano's. Plus they're quite a bit cheaper when you buy them with Bilsteins.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Bilsteins are on the top of my to do list after I get my transmission rebuild by Tick. But I can't decide if I want to lower it or not, I almost never scrape or bottom out and I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

check sam strano ,or bmr for some shock ,spring combos .
Old 10-23-2013, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
check sam strano ,or bmr for some shock ,spring combos .
Those are top of the line, premium shocks. Prepare to shell out a good 2k for a shock/spring/sway bar upgrade. Bilsteins are still good but are the "budget" option as you can get a full suspension upgrade for well under a thousand.

Kinda like the LS6 vs FAST debate, Bilsteins are fine for most people, but if you're serious you wanna get the Koni's.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Sounds like your friend may have been talking about the sway bar end links.

Poly bushings tend to be noisey (squeaks) when used at pivot points, such as lower control arms. Grease will help with this, but usually you can still hear them a bit in cold weather. Ride quality is also made a bit more harsh. Having said that, I have used them in the common areas (LCAs, PHB) in the past, but currently don't have any on my two F-bodies.
Yea I have been reading that poly on the sway bar end links help a good bit, and I imagine that's what my friend was talking about. From what I read the ride quality with poly suffers because, when used on pivot points, it doesn't allow as much movement as a normal rubber bushing would. I'm going to look into using them in the common areas, as you said, but I've ditched the all around option...thanks for the advice
Old 10-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Those are top of the line, premium shocks. Prepare to shell out a good 2k for a shock/spring/sway bar upgrade. Bilsteins are still good but are the "budget" option as you can get a full suspension upgrade for well under a thousand.

Kinda like the LS6 vs FAST debate, Bilsteins are fine for most people, but if you're serious you wanna get the Koni's.
Heard of Koni's before as well, I'm guessing they are a little more serious even then the Strano's?

Quick Reply: Need some upgrade help