Sponsored by:

? Cali Residents/ Military in Cali/ Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ? Cali Residents/ Military in Cali/ Emissions

I'm up for orders.

I know for sure that my car won't pass California emissions. If I were to get my car registered in my state of residence Mississippi, would I have to get California emissions checks done?

I just need to know this before I pick orders... What are my options?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was stationed in NC, and when I came back home to Cali I looked it up. As long as you keep your state of residence in MS, and keep your tags MS, then California has no business w/ what your car does. Just don't forget to keep yourself current in Mississippi. What base are you moving too? ... Well, it doesn't really matter, wherever you go, it'll be a military town, so there will be plates from all over CONUS. If you've never been out here, good luck on the shock factor. I was in Biloxi for TechSchool, ... VERY different then SoCal.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I moved from Ill to Cali I kept my home of record and never did a e-check...however, I am in Ohio now, and they say here it is a DOD regulation that driving on a federal installation you still are required to have a e check even if the state you are a resident of does not...people are really pissed off here. I say then just don't drive the car on base.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:54 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kevin 276
When I moved from Ill to Cali I kept my home of record and never did a e-check...however, I am in Ohio now, and they say here it is a DOD regulation that driving on a federal installation you still are required to have a e check even if the state you are a resident of does not...people are really pissed off here. I say then just don't drive the car on base.
That's how it is here in Fort Bliss(El Paso,TX). I know you were asking about Cali, but that's the rule on base. DOD policy like Kevin said. Not all bases are like this though, so it might just be in the areas where smog restrictions are high. El Paso is very close to Mexico, and we have tough emission standards because all the smog produced in Mexico comes over here, too.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I was stationed in NC, and when I came back home to Cali I looked it up. As long as you keep your state of residence in MS, and keep your tags MS, then California has no business w/ what your car does. Just don't forget to keep yourself current in Mississippi. What base are you moving too? ... Well, it doesn't really matter, wherever you go, it'll be a military town, so there will be plates from all over CONUS. If you've never been out here, good luck on the shock factor. I was in Biloxi for TechSchool, ... VERY different then SoCal.
Yea.. I was down in Biloxi at Keesler for my Navy Tech School.. Right now I'm in Hawaii, but my only options for orders seem to be San Diego.. I don't want to chose orders and then have to get rid of my car..

Anyone know where I can look this information up?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

When I was stationed in SoCal with out of state plates, I had to get the test, for a base sticker. All it had to do was pass Federal requirements and not Cali requirements.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

damm Mike your leaving us already!good luck man.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to Keesler too. '98. I have a friend here who just retired Navy, and we're in San Diego. I'll ask him about it, and let you know. In North Carolina we didn't have to have anything special to drive on base. Just a safety inspection. I'll try to get back w/ you tomorrow about the Navy bases here in SD.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

LOL your going to get by California one way or the other.

California is great, especially San Diego. Sure we pay out the @$$ for everything but no other place I'd rather be stationed at. Ive had many oppurtunities to tranfer out of here but Im not leaving, not yet at least.

Rene
Old 05-06-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I asked my friend about the smog check for your ride. The long and short of it was that he wasn't too sure. He knew he was moving to Cali full time when he was stationd here, so he just registered here. He thinks it's up to base commander as far as if you needed it to go on base or not, but his suggestion to that was simply not to get another sticker. Keep the old one till it expires (w/ your ID probably) and then you know how the Admin troops can get. Bring them all the paper work in a nice pretty stack, and they won't even ask to see your car.
To be 100% though, I'd call Cali DMV and ask em. www.dmv.ca.gov I believe it is. GL, and welcome to San Diego. LOL You'll learn to love B.A.H. !!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I asked my friend about the smog check for your ride. The long and short of it was that he wasn't too sure. He knew he was moving to Cali full time when he was stationd here, so he just registered here. He thinks it's up to base commander as far as if you needed it to go on base or not, but his suggestion to that was simply not to get another sticker. Keep the old one till it expires (w/ your ID probably) and then you know how the Admin troops can get. Bring them all the paper work in a nice pretty stack, and they won't even ask to see your car.
To be 100% though, I'd call Cali DMV and ask em. www.dmv.ca.gov I believe it is. GL, and welcome to San Diego. LOL You'll learn to love B.A.H. !!

Thanks for the help.. I'll contact them..

Also.. I heard about the B.A.H there.. Moser 9" here I come