New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ls1 build. Machine questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ls1 build. Machine questions.

Hey guys, last weekend I picked up a ls1 long block with no intake and bad bearings. This is my first build of any kind so bear with me. My buddy and I got the motor torn down to the bare block only to find more than bad bearings.The heads were destroyed, one piston had a hole in it and some of the cylinders looked to have water in them. Some of the cylinder walls are scratched up. I know a picture is worth a 1000 words but I dont have one at this moment. Just know that I can catch a fingernail on them. I read that aluminum blocks cant really be bored out? And it can onlybe honed .010 over? Basically I'm asking if you guys think this block can be salvaged.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 PM

If you took it to an machine shop maybe get it bored over 0.030 and stroke it. It's an option to look into. Especially with the gouges you were talking about.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NG_LT1
If you took it to an machine shop maybe get it bored over 0.030 and stroke it. It's an option to look into. Especially with the gouges you were talking about.
NO! don't comment unless you know what you are talking about, if you bore a LS1 that much you will be into the cooling passages, maximum bore you can go safely is 3.905 from the stock 3.898.

OP, I would take the block to a machine shop for a quote, it may be to far gone, hard for me to tell without pictures. If it has some small scratches in the walls and nothing else major it should easily be fixable.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
NO! don't comment unless you know what you are talking about, if you bore a LS1 that much you will be into the cooling passages, maximum bore you can go safely is 3.905 from the stock 3.898.

OP, I would take the block to a machine shop for a quote, it may be to far gone, hard for me to tell without pictures. If it has some small scratches in the walls and nothing else major it should easily be fixable.
Wouldn't it come down to how deep those gouges he was talking about are? What would you suggest for it to be an easy fix if it were just scratches?

+1 to what Pewter Said about getting the quote. The only way anyone here can give you legit advice is with pictures, other than that it's just speculation.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NG_LT1
Wouldn't it come down to how deep those gouges he was talking about are? What would you suggest for it to be an easy fix if it were just scratches?
Yes if the scratches are minor they can be removed with either a hone or boring it but it depends on how deep the gouges are, but if they are to a point where a bore can't remove them the block will need be re-sleeved and at that point its cheaper to buy a new block in some cases. What I was saying is a LS1 block can not be bored like a iron block as you suggested, if he were to bore it .030 like you said he would be way to large, remember these blocks are sleeved and the workable material in the cylinder sleeve is thin, hence why it can only be bored to a 3.905.

Last edited by 2000PewterT/A; 10-24-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: First ls1 build. Machine questions.