New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 98 Camaro Z28 with bad fuel pump - Good idea?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Buying 98 Camaro Z28 with bad fuel pump - Good idea?

Found a 98 Camaro Z28 with only 67,000 miles. 6 speed, looks good. Current owner said it just needs a new fuel pump, it will start if you spray into the throttle body.

Is there any way to test drive it to check for other problems? If not, what should I keep a close eye out for? I always check all fluids, look for leaks, check rear, etc but this would be the first time buying a car that isn't driveable.

Don't want to buy a car that has major problems after I replace the fuel pump. He is looking to get 4k for the car, does that sound reasonable if it isn't running? Interior is dirty, car hasn't been running in around a year. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Be careful. Dont rush into this purchase.

Fuel pump is a Big Job. You either have to drop the fuel tank or you will have to do the trap door mod to access the fuel pump which involves cutting out a large area in the upper rear hatch area just to reach the fuel pump. At that point you might as well install the better upgraded Racetronix Walbro 255 lph fuel pump which is a great upgrade for future mods.
Fuel pump job parts & labor could be 700 to 1000 dollars easily on that car.

Seller could have parked it if the rearend started making noise also. 6 speed cars are also very hard on the stock cheap 10 bolt rearend that could cost you 1k to 3k to replace.

I would not buy that car unless the owner helps you get it running so that you can hear the motor, rearend & transmission. You really need to drive it.

There are alot of LS1 Camaro's, Firebirds & GTO's out there. Dont get stuck with someone elses problems. This car has been sitting because it has problems that he cant afford.
Can you afford his problems ??

Last edited by NOS LS1; 10-27-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

if your mechanically inclined, id buy it, because god forbid its a wreck, its worth more than 4k in parts. that being said you could get a running car for a few more beans.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Banned

my car is for sell 7k only needs a touch up paint job new catalytic convertor which I have you just need to put it on new power steering system (except the power steering pump its new), new driver side side skirt, and the header bolts need to be tighten down which ill probably do here real soon. I am currently driving it as its my daily driver almost had it sold but the person couldn't close the deal. all the fixes shouldnt cost more than a grand espeacially if you have some tools and a little know how. plus ive spent more money into it than I bought it for and it makes approx 400rwhp.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I agree, it is a great deal if I can get the car for 3 - 3.5k, then put a new fuel pump in through the trap door method. A really good deal if that's all it takes to get running. Like the 2nd posted said, these m6 cars get ragged out, and the rear end could be bad, problems with gears etc.

The first thing I saw when researching about fuel pump replacement was the trap door trick. I don't see why the owner wouldn't just spend a couple hundred bucks and a few days to replace it. A running, driving m6 with low miles would easily get 5-6k or more.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

either there is more to the story or he is lazy, if its a clean rust free car and the fluids look good id gamble with it. ive seen some pretty clean almost stock looking jobs done for the trap door method, when done right, its a good idea. but some people just like to cut it, bend it and throw it back together, then it rusts etc......
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

if the battery isnt dead, couldnt you still check for codes?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Finally got the owner to call me back, turns out the kid knows nothing about the car. His father is a mechanic, tried the trap door method, hotwired the old fuel pump, and somehow screwed it up. I don't even want to know how bad of a hack job it is.

He doesn't have the title in his name, and the icing on the cake is that the car WAS a manual, but the previous owner converted it to an automatic and left the hurst shifter in. Damn, it was too good to be true haha. On to the next one...
Old 10-27-2013, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

yup, all done. lol
Old 10-27-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if the price is good i honestly would. what could probably be wrong with it? fuel pump? thats less than a 100$. how is the body/interior overall condition?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

I told you that thing was a can of worms.
Dont ever trust people & what they tell you... especially when they are looking for quick money.

Save up more of you money & buy a decent car that is already running.
Put it on a rack, check for leaks & noises. Money is hard to come by these days.
Spend it wisely.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Good call passing it up. "Just needs a fuel pump" = "Just needs some high school kid's hack job cleaned up among other things" in this case.

I love it when people diagnose the problem for you to tell you how easy it is. They don't care what the problem actually is. Who would listen to them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying 98 Camaro Z28 with bad fuel pump - Good idea?